[TUT] ADB over WiFi

Search This thread

JeepFreak

May 17, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I thought some people might appreciate the instructions to get adb working over WiF:

Type this in your terminal emulator on your One X:
Code:
su
setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
stop adbd
start adbd
(5555 can be whatever you want.)

Then check it with this:
Code:
getprop service.adb.tcp.port

When it returns "5555" then run this command in the terminal (or command prompt) on your computer:
Code:
adb connect 192.168.0.151
Obviously enter your device's IP address in place of 192.168.0.151. Your computer must have adb (duh!) and your phone must be on the same network.

And you should be connected!

To tell the One X to listen for adb on the USB port instead of TCP again, enter this into the terminal emulator:
Code:
su
setprop service.adb.tcp.port -1
stop adbd
start adbd

Or just reboot the phone.

And to tell your computer to use USB for adb instead of TCP:
Code:
adb usb

I would definitely use the USB cable to push large files or even small files that you really don't want to risk corrupting (partition images you plan on dding, etc).

Very importantly, keep in mind, when your phone is listening for adb via WiFi, it's wide open... anybody that that the adb installed and knows your device's IP address can access it without a password. Again, a simple reboot will turn it off though.

HTH,
Billy

PS - Your
thanks.jpg
are appreciated! ;)

Last edited:

Root-Maniac

Jan 10, 2012
SO. Cali.
I thought some people might appreciate the instructions to get adb working over WiF:

Code:
su
stop adbd
start adbd

Then check it with this:
Code:

When it returns "5555" then run this command in the terminal (or command prompt) on your computer:
Code:
Obviously enter your device's IP address in place of 192.168.0.151. Your computer must have adb (duh!) and your phone must be on the same network.

To tell the One X to listen for adb on the USB port instead of TCP again, enter this into the terminal emulator:
Code:
su
stop adbd
start adbd

Code:
adb usb

I would definitely use the USB cable to push large files or even small files that you really don't want to risk corrupting (partition images you plan on dding, etc).

Very importantly, keep in mind, when your phone is listening for adb via WiFi, it's wide open... anybody that that the adb installed and knows your device's IP address can access it without a password. Again, a simple reboot will turn it off though.

HTH,
Billy

PS - Your
thanks.jpg
are appreciated! ;)
I bet our usb plugs last longer doing things over WiFi. Thanks man

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

glossywhite

Dec 24, 2009
Pressing the button is thanks enough, it's frowned upon to dig up such an old thread with a new post.

Sent from my Evita.

So tell yourself to smile upon it; we're humans, not automatons; they were being polite, and that's a lovely thing to be in this age - you're not compelled to "frown upon it". You know, "netiquette" is not law, and humanity is a lovely thing to see :)

Reactions: droidparanoid

droidparanoid

Feb 3, 2014
Moto G7 Power
Moto E6
i've now seen it all...

So tell yourself to smile upon it; we're humans, not automatons; they were being polite, and that's a lovely thing to be in this age - you're not compelled to "frown upon it". You know, "netiquette" is not law, and humanity is a lovely thing to see :)

It makes me happy to see some actual humanity around these stuffy as of late parts! It's at best troubling and at worse ungrateful to have a policy in place that forbids a friendly human ”thanks". When someone feels the need to let that policy actually change their own personal level of gratitude there is something very bad happening.

A button can in no way replace a real human emotion. It provides a very impersonal response with very very little meaning.

I know there's probably a policy in place around here forbidding disagreement or self-expression against something that when looked at through other eyes is absolutely without meaning or need, but as a human I feel the need to stand up for my beliefs.

Thank you for your time.

glossywhite

Dec 24, 2009
It makes me happy to see some actual humanity around these stuffy as of late parts! It's at best troubling and at worse ungrateful to have a policy in place that forbids a friendly human ”thanks". When someone feels the need to let that policy actually change their own personal level of gratitude there is something very bad happening.

A button can in no way replace a real human emotion. It provides a very impersonal response with very very little meaning.

I know there's probably a policy in place around here forbidding disagreement or self-expression against something that when looked at through other eyes is absolutely without meaning or need, but as a human I feel the need to stand up for my beliefs.

Thank you for your time.

AMEN!!!

God bless you my friend; the world's in a mess, and people are increasingly becoming entrenched in "the way it is" - well not me. Who wants to "fit in" and just be passive and live as if they're "enduring" life? Some people will NEVER like you - I found that is the case, and some people WILL NEVER have anything good to say. Well, that's up to them - for me, I AM ALWAYS going to SAY thank you, and people can just dislike that all they want - it's how I am, and if they "frown upon it", that just shows how lost they are, seriously.

BE NICE TO PEOPLE!!!!!!! :)

God bless you all :D

dawabz94

Sep 24, 2010
France
Landed here by googling a bit abt adb over wifi
And ... BAM ! Works straight !
I'll do some scripting around it but the core usage is all there,
BiG Thanks !

(Thanks button hit but cold not help posting a bit more :D)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    su
    stop adbd
    start adbd

Then check it with this:
    Code:

Code:

Code:
    su
    stop adbd
    start adbd

Code:
    adb usb

HTH,
    Billy

PS - Your
    thanks.jpg
    are appreciated! ;)
    Many custom ROMs and even some stock firmwares can change from usb to wifi in developer settings. Jellybean has this function built in with android so you dont need root or run any commands from terminal :good:
    Pressing the button is thanks enough, it's frowned upon to dig up such an old thread with a new post.

Sent from my Evita.

Sent from my Evita.