[GUIDE][18th Dec][4Noobs] Unlock The Xperia Play Bootloader

Search This thread

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
UPDATE (03th FEB 2013) This will wipe your internal storage (/data) but not your SD Card!
UPDATE (06th JAN 2013) : VIDEO TUTORIAL ADDED CLICK HERE

UPDATE:
IF the driver prompt does not show up
  1. Press the windows key + r > and type "devmgmt.msc" and then press enter
  2. Then find some sort of S1 Fastboot or android device in the list.
  3. Right click it and press update driver
  4. Browse > Fastboot and ADB Package > Drviers > X86 or X64 (32bit? or 64bit?) > usbwin > android_usb.inf
Also make sure you type the IMEI in correctly, if u unsure if it is unlocked or not try flashing a kernel via fastboot

OK so i was looking around for a easy to use guide i could refer someone to and couldn't find one so i decided to create 1.

With this method you wont need to download the android SDK and instead can download a small package of files that i will upload. this saves around 1-2GB of bandwidth.

Firstly we should confirm your phone can be unlocked. To check if your phone can be rooted (most likely if it is not branded to 3, Vodafone etc then it can be)

Go to the phone dialer
Tap*#*#7378423#*#* then a service menu should pop up,
Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. if it says boot loader unlock allowed then you are good to go.
if it says not allowed or no then you will need to pay to have the boot loader unlocked.

Now we need to get your IMEI to do this type in the dialer *#06# another window will appear with your IMEI number write this down somewhere as you will need it later.

OK so now that you know your phone BL can be unlocked we will need to download and extract these files
Now we can begin. Turn of your phone. once the phone is off press and hold the search button while pluggin in the usb lead. the led at the top of the phone will be lit up BLUE. your computer should prompt you to install drivers for the new device if it does then select 'install manually' and browse to the location of the drivers, depending on your system architecture (X86 or X64) select the appropriate folder it should then install the drivers if you get any prompts about unsinged driver just install any way.
if something doesn't happen like it is suppose to please reply here or pm me.

Next we need to go to sony ericsson's bootloader unlock site read through to confirm you understand what your doing then click continue.

Click "yes i'm sure"
YjZCx.png

ok now check both boxes and press i accept

NpdYA.png

now we need to fill in these fields (IMEI is the number you wrote down earlier if it doesn't work remove the last number and try again)
dkTNg.png

Press submit and you will see your Unlock Key copy it for later.

Finally after installing the drivers we will need to run the software called fastboot now to make it easier for you guys i have included a simple bat file which will load CMD at the correct location. so load run_me.bat and make sure the BLUE LED on your phone is still on. if it is then type this in to the new cmd window.
Code:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY
replacing KEY with your key. for example
Code:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0x726802F75671552D

your phone should now be unlocked. check my next guide on how to install custom recoveries, kernels and most importantly Android 4.0 (ICS)

Source: http://cyanlabs.co.uk/tutorials/unlock-play-bootloader

Last edited:

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Thanks, but sadly mine says BL Unlock: No :/

If I pay for the unlock what happens then? Does somebody do it for me?

Sent from my Xperia™ PLAY using TapatalkHD

d_zen

Dec 4, 2011
Leeuwarden
Nice clear and short guide, and you can see nicely how easy it is for the xperia play to achieve a unlocked bootloader in comparrison to other devices.
Isn't this supposed to go into the general section though?

GP18376A95

Jan 22, 2012
OK so i was looking around for a easy to use guide i could refer someone to and couldn't find one so i decided to create 1.

With this method you wont need to download the android SDK and instead can download a small package of files that i will upload. this saves around 1-2GB of bandwidth.

Firstly we should confirm your phone can be unlocked. To check if your phone can be rooted (most likely if it is not branded to 3, Vodafone etc then it can be)

Go to the phone dialer
Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. if it says boot loader unlock allowed then you are good to go.
if it says not allowed or no then you will need to pay to have the boot loader unlocked.

Now we need to get your IMEI to do this type in the dialer *#06# another window will appear with your IMEI number write this down somewhere as you will need it later.

OK so now that you know your phone BL can be unlocked we will need to download and extract these files
Now we can begin. Turn of your phone. once the phone is off press and hold the search button while pluggin in the usb lead. the led at the top of the phone will be lit up BLUE. your computer should prompt you to install drivers for the new device if it does then select 'install manually' and browse to the location of the drivers, depending on your system architecture (X86 or X64) select the appropriate folder it should then install the drivers if you get any prompts about unsinged driver just install any way.

Next we need to go to sony ericsson's bootloader unlock site read through to confirm you understand what your doing then click continue.

Click "yes i'm sure"
YjZCx.png

NpdYA.png

now we need to fill in these fields (IMEI is the number you wrote down earlier if it doesn't work remove the last number and try again)
dkTNg.png

Finally after installing the drivers we will need to run the software called fastboot now to make it easier for you guys i have included a simple bat file which will load CMD at the correct location. so load run_me.bat and make sure the BLUE LED on your phone is still on. if it is then type this in to the new cmd window.
Code:
Code:

your phone should now be unlocked. check my next guide on how to install custom recoveries, kernels and most importantly Android 4.0 (ICS)

Source: http://forgottencoders.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=36

i did a nandroid back up before unlocking my r800i and when im done unlocking i did restored my backup....is my BL still unlocked or it is locked again because of the restoration?....by the way +1 to you for making and effort the noobs...

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Nice clear and short guide, and you can see nicely how easy it is for the xperia play to achieve a unlocked bootloader in comparrison to other devices.

Tbh it should prob be in either dev,apps & themes or general! Mod move it if you fell the same

i did a nandroid back up before unlocking my r800i and when im done unlocking i did restored my backup....is my BL still unlocked or it is locked again because of the restoration?....by the way +1 to you for making and effort the noobs...

Still unlocked also please press the thanks button rather than saying thanks :D

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

cj360

Oct 24, 2011
Awesome thread, one note that cdma aka xperia play branded with Verizon will absolutely have to get their bootloder unlocked with Alejandrissimo's help. My touchscreen broke on mine so I'm waiting on bestbuy to give me a new one 1st thing I'm gona do is unlock it.

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Awesome thread, one note that cdma aka xperia play branded with Verizon will absolutely have to get their bootloder unlocked with Alejandrissimo's help. My touchscreen broke on mine so I'm waiting on bestbuy to give me a new one 1st thing I'm gona do is unlock it.

thanks. it does say R800i in the title.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE (03th FEB 2013) This will wipe your internal storage (/data) but not your SD Card!
    UPDATE (06th JAN 2013) : VIDEO TUTORIAL ADDED CLICK HERE

UPDATE:
    IF the driver prompt does not show up
    1. Press the windows key + r > and type "devmgmt.msc" and then press enter
    2. Then find some sort of S1 Fastboot or android device in the list.
    3. Right click it and press update driver
    4. Browse > Fastboot and ADB Package > Drviers > X86 or X64 (32bit? or 64bit?) > usbwin > android_usb.inf
    Also make sure you type the IMEI in correctly, if u unsure if it is unlocked or not try flashing a kernel via fastboot

Go to the phone dialer

Click "yes i'm sure"
    YjZCx.png

NpdYA.png

dkTNg.png

Code:
    Code:

Source: http://cyanlabs.co.uk/tutorials/unlock-play-bootloader

Tbh it should prob be in either dev,apps & themes or general! Mod move it if you fell the same

Still unlocked also please press the thanks button rather than saying thanks :D

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk 2
    Cleaned the thread...

Everyone please keep a couple of things in mind
    Everything we do to our devices here on XDA is entirely experimental, and there is ALWAYS a chance that something will get borked, and you'll loose stuff. What really works well for me is when I get ready to do pretty much anything that has something to do with modding, I BACKUP. If you don't, well thats on you.
    Foul language and flaming someone on XDA is not acceptable, period. And also keep in mind that if someone posts abusive/foul language and you Quote it, you posted abusive/foul language too. Please don't respond to it, just report it

Thank you
    Thanks, but sadly mine says BL Unlock: No :/

If I pay for the unlock what happens then? Does somebody do it for me?

Sent from my Xperia™ PLAY using TapatalkHD

hi yes but i cant remember who that is. maybe some1 will comment back on here saying. he is trusted member of XDA who has unlocked loads of peoples but forgot his name :S
    His name is Alejandrissimo, contact him on unlock-bootloader.com to get it unlocked. ;)