Flashing Back to Stock ROM using Heimdall

Search This thread
Feb 19, 2011
I am having THE hardest time flashing back to stock rom using heimdall. I dont know how to use it, unfortunately i cannot use Odin..if anyone could instruct me on a step to step guide to getting this done, that would be great. i cannot seem to find one after looking for a good hour and a half :/ i got to samfirmware.com but once i download it asks me for a password and i input it (the one it shows to input) and it doesnt work.

Thank you

a.vandelay

Oct 25, 2010
something like this

Code:
$ heimdall flash --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs ..... --kernel zImage

just type "heimdall" and it will print the usage format. you can flash whatever you want.

pietro_spina

Jul 20, 2010
Western MA
Tell us what OS you are using. Do you have the most current version of Heimdal?
Also, try unzipping the firmware with a different tool.(what are you using)?

Feb 19, 2011
The reason I cannot use odin is because I have a mac and odin is not mac compatible. I am using precision v3.5. Firmware 2.2.1 I've used the normal text editor and zipeg. And I have the most recent heimdall

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

pietro_spina

Jul 20, 2010
Western MA
The reason I cannot use odin is because I have a mac and odin is not mac compatible. I am using precision v3.5. Firmware 2.2.1 I've used the normal text editor and zipeg. And I have the most recent heimdall

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
so since you are already on a 2.2 rom we will hope you are not having the mac sbl.bin problems.

steps are:
1 grab the stock firmware from here if you want froyo
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=963403
or find the equivalent eclair version in the forums or on the samsung firmwares site.

2 unpack the archive

3 unpack it again so you just have the various files in a folder. there are 4 important files in the froyo linked above and one .dll you can ignore.

4 put your phone in download mode

5 put the 4 file in the proper slots (see attached image)

6 hit start.. wait...

If Heimdall cannot see your phone you might be having the sbl problem. head over to the main heimdall support thread and search around... ther are quite a few mac users over there

Last edited:

JeffSchre

Aug 5, 2010
Has anyone sucessfully been able to flash Samsung stock 2.2 using Heimdall?

For some reason when it's flashing factoryfs it fails at 43% "failed sending data packet"

I have downloaded KB1 from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=963403

And tried the .zip file that Kies downloads during it's upgrade process, both do the same thing.

Ultimately I'd like to find a universal flashing method to be able to restore my phone back to stock. While also being able to flash Clockwork kernels for rebuilding CM7.

The only way I've been able to get CM7 to load successfully is to Odin1Click back to JF6 then use Kies (which requires a different USB driver) to get 2.2 loaded.

Then install USB driver for Heimdall, to flash a Clockwork kernel for CM7 load.
If something goes sideways this process starts all over again.

Reinstalling USB drivers over and over again is getting rather tedious.

Would really like to find out why Heimdall is failing when flashing factoryfs.

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Taken from Cyanogen Wiki wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S:_Full_Update_Guide

Just above step one: "This guide assumes the Samsung Galaxy S already has Android 2.2 already installed on it."

:D
and what do you think is different about the 2 different versions in regards to a rom install?
both have to use the same recovery 2e and clockworkmod......the OS version doesnt mean ish to clockwork....

JeffSchre

Aug 5, 2010
:D
and what do you think is different about the 2 different versions in regards to a rom install?
both have to use the same recovery 2e and clockworkmod......the OS version doesnt mean ish to clockwork....

At this point in time I'd be happy if I could get in back to 2.1....can't get either Odin1Click or Odin to reload 2.1...both are hanging when it tries to write the factoryfs files.

Which makes no sense at all...I had used 1Click twice earlier today and it worked fine...but now it's crapping out and no clue why.

Making me regret leaving my laptop at work...last time I had this issue I did the same process from my laptop and it worked.

Even stranger, first time I went through this process from this PC it worked...but isn't now.

Tried to get back to JF6 using download from samfirmware.com and using
Heimdall...will flash everything sucessfully (see attachment) except factoryfs. If factoryfs is selected, it chokes at 37%....attempted to flash factoryfs from command line and Heimdall fails with error "Failed to send data packet" or something along that line.

Attachments

• Picture0001.jpg
    Picture0001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

JeffSchre

Aug 5, 2010
At this point in time I'd be happy if I could get in back to 2.1....can't get either Odin1Click or Odin to reload 2.1...both are hanging when it tries to write the factoryfs files.

Which makes no sense at all...I had used 1Click twice earlier today and it worked fine...but now it's crapping out and no clue why.

Making me regret leaving my laptop at work...last time I had this issue I did the same process from my laptop and it worked.

Even stranger, first time I went through this process from this PC it worked...but isn't now.

Tried to get back to JF6 using download from samfirmware.com and using
Heimdall...will flash everything sucessfully (see attachment) except factoryfs. If factoryfs is selected, it chokes at 37%....attempted to flash factoryfs from command line and Heimdall fails with error "Failed to send data packet" or something along that line.

UPDATE: CM7 lives again, after Odin took 7 hrs. to push factoryfs to my phone only to have boot animation go garbled and lockup. I took my phone to work, used Heimdall on my laptop to flash JF6 and it was successful, was then able to re-flash Speedmod Kernel and CM7 nightly-50.

Next time I have to do this with my desktop I think I'm going to use USB Deview and blow away any Samsung devices listed.

EnemyOfGlaDOS

Nov 10, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
Taken from Cyanogen Wiki wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S:_Full_Update_Guide

Just above step one: "This guide assumes the Samsung Galaxy S already has Android 2.2 already installed on it."

He's right though. All you need is cwm and your good. I've been on CM7 since March and have fts a few times. Did it yesterday and flashed CM7 from 2.1JF6. All good in the hood!

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

Jwtiyar

Nov 27, 2010
Sulaymaniyah
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 7 Pro
so since you are already on a 2.2 rom we will hope you are not having the mac sbl.bin problems.

steps are:
1 grab the stock firmware from here if you want froyo
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=963403
or find the equivalent eclair version in the forums or on the samsung firmwares site.

2 unpack the archive

3 unpack it again so you just have the various files in a folder. there are 4 important files in the froyo linked above and one .dll you can ignore.

4 put your phone in download mode

5 put the 4 file in the proper slots (see attached image)

6 hit start.. wait...

If Heimdall cannot see your phone you might be having the sbl problem. head over to the main heimdall support thread and search around... ther are quite a few mac users over there

this will work to nexus s?

N

nygfan760

Any help for doing this with 1.3, since I have lion and 1.1 won't work.

plovesm

Nov 22, 2010
Running Lion and Heimdall 1.3

I'm also on Lion and can only use 1.3. I have a Tmo Samsung Vibrant and would like to flash back to 2.1. I was able to root the phone just fine when it was on 2.1 from my Mac but since I updated to the official Froyo, I haven't found a way to root it again. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: