[App][06/Dec/09][v1.17] SpoonTorch - Fullscreen torch application

Search This thread

DotNetCoder

Aug 5, 2009
SpoonTorch - Fullscreen torch application

Introduction
Does your phone or PDA not have an external light on it? Do you want to use your phone's screen as a light?

This app lets you quickly create a white screen to use as a torch.

Features
* Single tap of the screen to make the whole screen turn white. Tap again for the menu. (v1.17 closes the app)
* Switching to fullscreen, backscreen brightness is set to maximum. Old settings are restored when fullscreen is exited.
* Minimise to program menu. So you can quickly switch between this and Windows Mobile itself, without closing the app.
* Lightweight application. Fast loading: no graphical effects or sounds.

Version History
v1.0 13/11/09 - Initial release
v1.1 14/11/09 - Backlight booster for fullscreen
v1.11 15/11/09 - Backlight maximum taken from registry
- Backlight timeout disabled in fullscreen
- (this setup file was incorrectly named v1.2)
v1.12 15/11/09 - Disable power save in fullscreen
v1.13 15/11/09 - When another application takes over fullscreen, brightness is reduced to normal
- Enter key toggles fullscreen (in-app hot-key)
v1.14 15/11/09 - Read the registry to make sure values already exist
v1.15 16/11/09 - Set torch to always use white and not theme background colour
- Save low-res torch icon without alpha channel to save space
- Added icon to main screen
v1.16 19/11/09 - Automatically starts in fullscreen
v1.17 06/12/09 - Tap screen closes app - no toggling

note:I update little and often. dont be surprised if I update a lot, then go quiet!

Requirements
* Needs .NET Compact Framework 3.5+.
* Should work on all Windows Mobile 5 and above devices.
* Non-touchscreen compatible (Windows Mobile Standard).

Donations
Donations are gladly accepted. Thanks!

Attachments

• SpoonTorch1.15Setup.CAB
    16.2 KB · Views: 507
  • SpoonTorch1.16Setup.CAB
    16.6 KB · Views: 321
  • screenshot116.jpg
    screenshot116.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,365
  • SpoonTorch1.17Setup.CAB
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,682
Last edited:

Nagrom Nniuq

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 12, 2007
Actually, there is already an awesome app called Flashlight that does this and more...

DotNetCoder

Aug 5, 2009
Actually, there is already an awesome app called Flashlight that does this and more...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I did some googling and searching on here, but I didn't try hard enough :)

The only feature that app supports, is different colour screens - which I'll add to the next version.

My app supports tapping the screen to go fullscreen (providing even more light than Flashlight), as well as quick minimising (so it runs in the background when you dont need it). I'll add these details to the first post.

Thanks

calcop

Oct 18, 2007
thanks for this app, it's possible to set backlight to max power when launched and restored to previous setting when minimized ?

bronx

Oct 18, 2006
+1 for this. if You'll manage to make it change the brightness to the max in full screen and then to restore it back to what it was in the menu, then for me this app is a winner. I personally don't really care bout different colors, but proper bright white light is something great.

keep up the good work!

thanks

DotNetCoder

Aug 5, 2009
Thanks bronx and calcop.

Yes, I noticed the same thing when at the cinema today using this app.

I will try and get powersaving screen brightness to be turned on/off.

Edit: found it! It's a really easy regkey tweak... new version coming soon.

Last edited:

DotNetCoder

Aug 5, 2009
Version 1.1 is uploaded. Now sets brightness to maximum in fullscreen mode. Reverts back on exit.

aiiro

Mar 20, 2008
Could You make it mappable to hotkey so with single button You could get the white fullscreen? Or is it already? :)

Nagrom Nniuq

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 12, 2007
Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I did some googling and searching on here, but I didn't try hard enough :)

The only feature that app supports, is different colour screens - which I'll add to the next version.

My app supports tapping the screen to go fullscreen (providing even more light than Flashlight), as well as quick minimising (so it runs in the background when you dont need it). I'll add these details to the first post.

Thanks

Actually Flashlight IS a fullscreen app. It also does Morse code (very useful) and various flashing different patterns (fairly useless).

But, there is definitely no harm in having two of the same type of apps. Especially one that is being actively worked on. I might request that you make the ability to have a customizable scrolling message or one that shows up when you wave the phone back and forth.

calcop

Oct 18, 2007
unfortunately on my blackstone(WM6.1) the backlight level doesn't change

Last edited:

DotNetCoder

Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll see if I can add a global hotkey, should be pretty easy.

New version is out now (see first post) - this is better at setting the backlight, and stops the light timeout while in fullscreen.

If you had problems with the last version, try this.

adempozhari

Mar 7, 2008
Tirane
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
@nagrom
the morse code didnt work for me... in my HD the keyboard didnt pop up... and the brightnes didnt change to max

@dotnecoder
something funny happen... when i went to fullscreen my brightness went to min...
i am using htc hd.
hope you fix it soon... and if you add the morse code or the scrolling text it will be great.

DotNetCoder

Aug 5, 2009
@dotnecoder
something funny happen... when i went to fullscreen my brightness went to min...
i am using htc hd.
hope you fix it soon... and if you add the morse code or the scrolling text it will be great.

Ah, I think I know what could be causing that - if the setting for max brightness isnt in your registry, it will go to zero ;) I'll fix that in the next version.

Edit: uploaded a new version which should fix your problem.

Last edited: