AOSP ROM flash = Bootloop

Search This thread

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
LS980 = Major Pain. :( I've rooted and flashed over 20 phones/tabs and I think it may be worst.

Thanks for any help ! :)

I have bone stock Sprint 4.4.2 Kitkat ZVC LS980, then rooted and w/ TWRP 2.7.0.

I get bootloop after flashing CM11 or Slimkat and wiping.

I can get back to stock KK if I spend 5+ minutes mashing the buttons in different combos w/ different timing and USB inserted or not, and getting to recovery. Then I restore the stock backup I made.

I previously flashed many different ROMs and kernels OK.

All this recent grief was preceded by flashing the wrong KK modem, then trying to load Mahdi ROM, having CM installed at that point. That gave me bootloop.

From recovery I used dd to flash ZVC partitions. Recovery stopped working and I got fastboot. I tried using fastboot to flash all partitions, then I got Security Error.

I fixed Security Error by spending 3 hours messing with a Windows 7 PC again, using flashtool to flash ZV8 that worked before. (This time I wrote down steps, for next time, LOL.)

So ZV8 worked, and I OTA'd to ZVA. That worked and I OTA'd to ZVC.

That's when I used ioroot25r1 to root succesful. And LS980_AutoRec to flash TWRP 2.7.0.

I've never used this phone as a phone or had any dealings with Sprint; not sure about it's previous history, I bought it on EBay.

BB seems to be M8974A-AAAANAZM-2.0.20046, I presume automatically updated w/ OTAs before root and recovery flash.

I swear I must have spent at least 8 hours on this "adventure". And I'm a dev who's been doing low level Android for 3.5 years and low level Linux stuff since 1996 and built various CPU and computer projects starting in the late 1970's...

So what the heck am I missing here ?

Thanks for any help ! :)

crombull

Jul 20, 2011
Cantabria
I don´t know if it could be helpful, but I use to flash my LG G2 D802 with a stock rom JB not KK, and I use too CWM not TWRP and I´ve never had a problem flashing.
I have Slimkat in my device, although I had CM11 and stock roms modified without any problem with them.
Anyway, good luck :)

Reactions: mikereidis

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
I don´t know if it could be helpful, but I use to flash my LG G2 D802 with a stock rom JB not KK, and I use too CWM not TWRP and I´ve never had a problem flashing.
I have Slimkat in my device, although I had CM11 and stock roms modified without any problem with them.

Thanks... :)

Yeah, it should be easy enough to try CWM.

Some carrier variants, like my Sprint, often have issues the International models don't.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

Only for a little while. :(

Flashed CM11. Good.

Flashed SlimROM. Good.

Flashed Mahdi and LS980 Patch. Good-ish for a while, then the kernel went crazy with audio devices disappearing.

Try to re-flash CM11. Bad.

Try to restore stock. Bad.

Grrr... Back to LG Flashtool ZV8. OTA to ZVA. Re-root.

Not sure about next step.

Time for me to learn about Loki I guess.

dandragonrage

Jul 15, 2007
www.antialiased.net
Thanks... :)

Yeah, it should be easy enough to try CWM.

Some carrier variants, like my Sprint, often have issues the International models don't.

These days, all phones for CDMA networks are going to have more issues than those for GSM networks. Really best to go with a GSM network if possible. But Verizon's network definitely beats AT&T's (and especially T-Mo). Not worth the price, IMO, but I'd say only use Verizon if you're in an area that only Verizon works well. Sprint is useless.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
These days, all phones for CDMA networks are going to have more issues than those for GSM networks. Really best to go with a GSM network if possible. But Verizon's network definitely beats AT&T's (and especially T-Mo). Not worth the price, IMO, but I'd say only use Verizon if you're in an area that only Verizon works well. Sprint is useless.

Thanks. But you may have missed the part where I said:

I've never used this phone as a phone or had any dealings with Sprint
This is a phone I bought only for testing of my FM apps. I think there's a place for a GSM SIM in it, but I still don't know and don't care too much right now.

EDIT: Hmmm, under System updates I've never been able to do "Update PRL", "Update profile" or "UICC Unlock" I think due to authentication issues. But I can "Update Firmware" and I think "Update LG Software".

I went with Sprint instead of D802 because they were cheap on EBay, as low as $200-250. Possibly a banned ESN (despite the EBay listing), but again that doesn't affect me.

But if I could do over, I might go for d802; as you say less troubles, and many more people have d802s than Sprint.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.