Upcoming new phones and their comparison to the Galaxy Nexus Specs.

Search This thread

nöt

Mar 20, 2011
Im gonna buy a phone.
Would you guys with a nexus recommend it or would you recommend to get the s3 or hox instead?
Do I really need the extra performance in the s3 for anything? and its basicly the same screen.

iil

Dec 14, 2010
hey all - is the nexus the only phone utilizing the software home, task and menu buttons?

live-evil

Apr 5, 2012
Im gonna buy a phone.
Would you guys with a nexus recommend it or would you recommend to get the s3 or hox instead?
Do I really need the extra performance in the s3 for anything? and its basicly the same screen.

The s3 grunt will likely be popular enough that apps and games will use it. You don't really "need" a smart phone. Its all about your own personal preferences though there is no bad purchase at this stage as long as you get a good deal on a gnex and you have no other option other than full price s3. If you can some how get a great deal on a s3....

lifanus

Nov 30, 2007
Miami
Nexus is the way to go man...

Just don't waste your time trying to flash something that's not stock ICS into a ICS. Took for example my old epic 4g touch. It was a horrible feeling wanting ICS but stuck with many failed ROMs trying to give you the Stock ICS experience.

If you want stock pure ICS joy, stay with Nexus. If you hate ICS... well bummer... get something else.

Pure beauty
dsc2926w.jpg

Last edited:

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I remember reading one of the tweets from Eldar Murtazin. He said that we should expect Exynos 5 somewhere next year along with successor to the galaxy SIII, the same was said about other A15 based SoC's. If this is true then qualcomm really surpassed all others by full year.
Whilst I have respect for Eldar, enough of his supposed leaks have been off that I wouldn't take them as gospel.

Other than that, I wouldn't write-off A15 SoCs quite yet.
The production dates for both OMAP 5 and the NovaThor A9600 are both creeping forward (albeit the later has no modem) - and who knows what Apple are up to...

That's true, and we still don't know which one is better right now 32nm HKMG or 28nm LP. Thorough tests should be made to answer this question, at least in regard to msm8960 and exynos 4212.
I'd be inclined to lean towards HKMG for a number of reasons, not least of which is that if their existing process was superior why would Qualcomm be switching?

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Whilst I have respect for Eldar, enough of his supposed leaks have been off that I wouldn't take them as gospel.

Other than that, I wouldn't write-off A15 SoCs quite yet.
The production dates for both OMAP 5 and the NovaThor A9600 are both creeping forward (albeit the later has no modem) - and who knows what Apple are up to...

I'd be inclined to lean towards HKMG for a number of reasons, not least of which is that if their existing process was superior why would Qualcomm be switching?

I would think Apple is up to using Samsung hardware as usual, despite the patent suit mess.

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I would think Apple is up to using Samsung hardware as usual, despite the patent suit mess.
Yes but what are they going to get Samsung to produce for them?

Apple design their own SoCs, so even if Samsung don't produce any of their own A15 chips this year, that wouldn't necessarily stop Apple from opting for an A15 chip of their own for the next iPhone.

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Samsung supplied their last CPU, and the one before that. Do you expect that to change?

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Given that my last post was pondering what sort of CPU Apple will get Samsung to manufacture for them, clearly not.

Yes but what are they going to get Samsung to produce for them?

Apple design their own SoCs, so even if Samsung don't produce any of their own A15 chips this year, that wouldn't necessarily stop Apple from opting for an A15 chip of their own for the next iPhone.

Whats up with the attitude? I was just asking, and trying to converse. To me, your last comment was not clear, and so I asked. Can't we just have a conversation?

"What" Samsung will manufacture for them is a faily open ended question, considering there are several Samsung parts in iPhones.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
I don't think i can ever buy another phone again unless its a Nexus series.

My problem is that Verizon owns my soul, and if they don't have another Nexus to replace the Galaxy Nexus, I am screwed. Well, not screwed, but I will not pay the extra money for a second provider.

hansoho

Jan 12, 2012
Hi guys, what's the story on the next Nexus? All I've heard is that Samsung is supplying it but no specs yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

biffsmash

Nov 19, 2007
Have to say that my next phone will be purchased after lots of well informed research , reviews and videos as this Nexus is a let down.

Galaxy s 2 was a much better phone than this except the screen so I'd say I'll wait till the galaxy so or whatever phone release with good hardware and a proper camera.
This is nice to look at but is very laggy especially when browsing the internet or using graphically intensive anything.

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
I think some of you either have bad phones or have no idea what your doing with the technology. I have had my LTE Nexus for just 2 weeks and it's awesome. I am on sprint so I'm not going to even try to compare my 3g speeds to someone on att. But as far as the phone itself the functionality and the speed at which it processes its incredible. With every single tweek and or kernal mods it just improves. I'm going 12 to 14 hours a day on the battery, the display is perfect for me with some of the available tweeks that are out there for the color and gamma adjustments. My 3g signal and connection is better than it was on my Epic and when LTE comes on line this will be just that much better. The screen size is perfect, not to big not to small. The zero shutter lag is great I can outperform an sgs2 in that field hands down.
I would invest some time in reading first your phone manual and then really researching these threads to learn how to properly use your device.

Sent from a phone...

Last edited:

mick3444

Jan 9, 2012
San Francisco, Ca
I think some of you either have bad phones or have no idea what your doing with the technology. I have had my LTE Nexus for just 2 weeks and it's awesome. I am on sprint so I'm not going to even try to compare my 3g speeds to someone on att. But as far as the phone itself the functionality and the speed at which it processes its incredible. With every single tweek and or kernal mods it just improves. I'm going 12 to 14 hours a day on the battery, the display is perfect for me with some of the available tweeks that are out there for the color and gamma adjustments. My 3g signal and connection is better than it was on my Epic and when LTE comes on line this will be just that much better. The screen size is perfect, not to big not to small. The zero shutter lag is great I can outperform an sgs2 in that field hands down.
I would invest some time in reading first your phone manual and then really researching these threads to learn how to properly use your device.

Sent from a phone...

I totally agree! With the various kernels out there battery life has improved tremendously. The only thing I'm concerned, (more wondering than concerned about), is if the sprint gnex will see as much development as the Verizon or GSM version? If the HTC evo lte gets more dev support than the sprint gnex, I might have considered to go for that.

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
I totally agree! With the various kernels out there battery life has improved tremendously. The only thing I'm concerned, (more wondering than concerned about), is if the sprint gnex will see as much development as the Verizon or GSM version? If the HTC evo lte gets more dev support than the sprint gnex, I might have considered to go for that.

I dont think you need to worry about that, the development on this is just a couple of weeks old and it's already impressive. As more of the other Samsung unit developers and themes jump to the new device itself will grow. The official CM9 developed for this device is partially the team which developed cm for the Epic. Plus many things such as themes and kernels are interchangeable with our Verizon cousins.

Sent from a phone...

Reactions: mick3444

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All new released, rumored or announced devices should be discussed here. Please keep it relevant to the Galaxy Nexus with specs comparisons. I will tolerate no flaming or trolling in here and will not hesitate to issue infractions after first warning. Please behave appropriately like the intelligent mature community I know you are.
    Thanks
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    I can not see my self ever getting anything other than the a Nexus ... I'll likely buy a new one every year. Right now I don't see any other phone that makes me want to stray from my decision.
    THANK YOU kennyglass123 :)

I was tired of the crazy amount of non-nexus threads cluttering up the Galaxy Nexus forum :(

So any new "What about the SGS III?" or "Who's changing to the One X?" type threads that pop up outside of this one we should flag so you can lock that particular thread right?

Yes please. Or you can even PM me directly with the link. Whatever is easiest. LOL....sometimes I sit here and don't know where to start when cleaning up.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    I am shocked they gave all mods even senior mods the same color, i am not a fan of the new red :(
    Nah, some of us are special ;)

IMO, at the moment, none of the competing handsets are that much better than the Nexus to warrant changing but if you were due an upgrade, the likes of the One X or the Galaxy S3 have got to be worthy of consideration.

And the idea that you choose your handset based on firmware strikes me as rather odd. That's pretty much the antithesis of the purpose of XDA, which is that your handset is never limited to the firmware it ships with.
    You buy a handset based on the hardware then make the firmware fit your needs.
    The only thing I disagree with in these post is Dev support and roms.....The Gnex has about a third of the Roms and Development as the SGSII....especially the I777. It was also like that on The last Nexus.

killing is my business, And business is good.

Only because we don't:

• Use zip roms
    • have GB and ICS roms
    • Have touchwiz roms
    • Have a need for debloat roms

I can live with that.