[12/25] nueGPSSecurity 1.2

Search This thread

no2chem

Jul 18, 2007
nueGPSSecurity - basically an anti-theft thing I'm sure many of you have seen/used before. The difference of course is that nueGPSSecurity is much more lightweight (~17kb) and you'll probably forget that its installed...

12/17 - updated to version 1.1
12/17 - updated to version 1.11 critical update!!! please download (see http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/post/2008/12/17/nueGPS-Critical-update.aspx)
12/25 - updated to 1.2

To talk to the service, send a text message:
!nuegps<pin> <action>
where pin is your pin number, and action is one of these action verbs:
version: display version number
getpos: text back next position fix (auto-start gps)
quickpos : gets your position and turns gps off after
getlink: gets a link to google maps with the position of the phone
quicklink: gets a link to google maps with the position of the phone, turns gps off after.
alarm: turns on an alarm and takes phone off silent/vibrate
alarmoff: turns the alarm off
track: tracks your phone’s current position and uploads the position online.
stoptrack: stops uploading your position online.

Track uses a google maps+street view interface to display a visual of your phone location. You’ll need to be a donator to take advantage of the feature (again, due to server cost issues) and generate a token for your phone using the donator control panel (If you have an old token, you’ll have to generate a new one because this feature requires the new phone field). Once you’ve done that – login here: http://www.nuerom.com/nuedonate/gpslocator.aspx and select your phone to view its location. Note that the application currently only records the last 5 minutes of your location and only records if you’ve donated at least 5$.

help: display this help message
start: start gps monitor
stop: stop gps monitor

image.axd

update details: http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/post/2008/12/25/nueGPSSecurity-v112.aspx
original post http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/post/2008/12/14/nueGPSSecurity.aspx

Last edited:

aRnonymous

Sep 22, 2007
Google Pixel 7
that's pretty cool.
looks very simple and leightweight.

i will check it out.
one questiong though, if i send an sms and the phone is inside will it wait until it has a good gps fix and only then send a message?

aguas

Apr 6, 2008
any thoughts about having it send a google maps .kml file via email to a predesignated email address?

kunz

Jun 7, 2005
Sydney
Is it possible to add a feature where it will detect if a new/different sim card is put into the phone?

For example, we can have a set registry entry myphone="12345678" - upon startup, if the nuegps service finds out if the entry in the registry is not the same as the number of the simcard, it will automatically initiate a quickpos/getpos and send an SMS to myphone, = "12345678".

This can be useful if the phone is stolen and the thief puts in a new simcard.

An extension to the above idea would be to have another registry entry "emergencycontact" = "99999999" (basically your spouse/gf/friends number) where the SMS gets sent to instead of "phone".

no2chem

Jul 18, 2007
Is it possible to add a feature where it will detect if a new/different sim card is put into the phone?

For example, we can have a set registry entry myphone="12345678" - upon startup, if the nuegps service finds out if the entry in the registry is not the same as the number of the simcard, it will automatically initiate a quickpos/getpos and send an SMS to myphone, = "12345678".

This can be useful if the phone is stolen and the thief puts in a new simcard.

An extension to the above idea would be to have another registry entry "emergencycontact" = "99999999" (basically your spouse/gf/friends number) where the SMS gets sent to instead of "phone".

yeah, im thinking of how to implement that; i come from the cdma world where it is not really a big deal (since we have no sim card) , here is the problem:

the code is only launched when there is an incoming message (this is why the memory footprint is so small) to detect when the sim is removed, the code needs to be running at all times (or maybe just at startup). I'm thinking the solution is to make a lightweight service for this purpose.

anyway, i have your suggestion now i'll see what i can do =)

jhw549

Jul 19, 2008
Clifton, NJ
twitter.com
I've been waiting for a nice lightweight program like this for quite a while, all of the other ones eat up resources like that's part of their function...
Thanks no2chem, another great program ^_^

chalid

Jan 18, 2008
Very nice. Will implement this into my ROM I think - so its there after a hardreset too ... :)

Rivendel

Nov 26, 2007
Kolbermoor
www.hecons.de
Hello,

for me it is not working.

Installed CAB on my Touch HD (German Stock ROM). SMS is intercepted, but no sms is send back, no gps, no version.

I checked all Registry-Entries but everything look ok for me.

Any Help how to track that Problem ?

Regards

Rivendel

elgreek84

Jul 6, 2007
Some other cool possible functions:

1. Wiping out contacts (so that thief won't solicit them for pin numbers/codes/passwords etc..)
2. Wiping e-mail settings so they won't receive unwanted email from pop/imap etc.. (maybe by jsut deleting reg settings)
3. formatting storage card

any other ideas? definitely a lot of potential with this program.

AssassinsLament

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
Doesn't work for me either. :(

Installed the cab. Soft reset. Text myself !nuegps000 getpos and the message goes right through. It doesn't seem to be intercepting it. I am on an ATT Fuze, with my own custom rom. I get text and MMS messages just fine, so I don't know what would be wrong :(

no2chem

Jul 18, 2007
Some other cool possible functions:

1. Wiping out contacts (so that thief won't solicit them for pin numbers/codes/passwords etc..)
2. Wiping e-mail settings so they won't receive unwanted email from pop/imap etc.. (maybe by jsut deleting reg settings)
3. formatting storage card

any other ideas? definitely a lot of potential with this program.

ah more ideas to implement =p

Very nice. Will implement this into my ROM I think - so its there after a hardreset too ... :)

be sure to set some kind of random pin number that is not 0000, don't want this being a security risk =p

Doesn't work for me either. :(

Installed the cab. Soft reset. Text myself !nuegps000 getpos and the message goes right through. It doesn't seem to be intercepting it. I am on an ATT Fuze, with my own custom rom. I get text and MMS messages just fine, so I don't know what would be wrong :(

you need to use four zeros, !nuegps0000 =)

jhw549

Jul 19, 2008
Clifton, NJ
twitter.com
how do you set the pin no2chem? I can't find that anywhere...

EDIT: Oops scratch that, found it on the original post.
EDIT2: I'd like to add that I just used my friend's phone and it works great so far!

Last edited: