IS this for real? 13 hour screen on time / battery life for Nexus 7! +USB OTG Flash!

Search This thread
I ran a battery rundown test on the Nexus 7.
  • Notifications off
  • Wifi off
  • Bluetooth off
  • GPS off
  • Airplane mode on (I know redundant but wth)
  • Screen brightness auto
  • Reset Battery Stats in Recovery
  • Nav bar turned off
  • Video zoomed to make it fill up the entire screen. (Dice player does this nicely, just pinch & zoom in 5% increments, this video was set to 150%)

I used Dice Player to play that new Batman movie over and over again. It's a h.264 encoded movie @ 720p in MKV container (which I'm loving this container, you can embed subtitles! but I don't think the container matters cuz that's a demux function, not decode function, more important prolly is to use a h.264 profile that's mobile SOC-friendly). It was playing in [HW] accelerated mode.

We got a SCREEN ON time of almost 13 hours!! This lil guy will easily last long enough for most airplane flights. I was a bit worried honestly, cuz you know, Android has a bad rep for battery life. But, I don't think that's the case anymore.

Android ver/ROM/kernel nfo in screenshots.

BTW, SCREEN ON time is different than "battery life" time, because it records the time the device spent with the screen on. Total battery life includes sleep mode, this can sleep for days, maybe a week or two or more, never really tested it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It would be cool so see others reproduce similar results!

UPDATE: Nexus 7 Screen On Time Battery Life Rundown USB OTG Flash Storage Memory Stick Test

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-42-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-42-21.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 8,173
  • Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-42-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-42-37.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 8,996
  • Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-46-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-46-20.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 8,174
  • Screenshot_2013-01-11-07-21-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-11-07-21-46.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 8,141
Last edited:

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21
Thanks for the test. I too have noticed outstanding battery life. I just flew from Hawaii to Michigan and watched movies for over 9 hours on the flight. I still had over 30% when I arrived. This device definitely lasts all day for me!

sent from my perfect 32GB Nexus 7

Reactions: okantomi and Neo3D
i think i will downgrade to 4.1.2. nice battery stats... mine are horrible

Only problem is that stupid MEDIA SERVER process eats up a lot of juice in both 4.2.x & 4.1.x

I've googled numerous threads about users complaining about how that drains your battery.

Google really needs to fix that.

We could probably push 15hrs screen on time if they fixed it.

Reactions: okantomi

peddarson

Aug 20, 2012
these stats are great.thanks for sharing.
unfortunately this is only for playing a movie without thouching the screen.using the touchscreen has a big impact on the battery life.

C

cjsspape

these stats are great.thanks for sharing.
unfortunately this is only for playing a movie without thouching the screen.using the touchscreen has a big impact on the battery life.

that's very true. I think this is a good example of what the battery is capable of under the perfect conditions. Every little extra you add to it will cause extra drainage however tweaks here and there in the right areas based on the significant sources of drain can slow drainage by alot. For me hspa+ is my single biggest source of drain but I use it as my phone also so all I can really do is undervolt turn wifi/blue tooth off when I don't need it and it gets me through the day very well. Everybodys experience will be different though because of all the different configurations but all in all it should last 90% of users through the full day at least.

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011
how long are you able to play games/?..

I personally do about 3 hours worth of gaming in a typical day and get 7 hours total screen time. For me worst case scenerio is about 5½ hours if I do nothing but play heavy games like dead trigger and NFS MW.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
looking at the battery graph and stats, it looks like the device was left alone mostly, with the screen on. you see how even the slope down is, it lost battery at an even/steady rate. and the screen wasnt turned off the whole 13 hours. this isnt realistic use.

Skyfall007

Nov 3, 2011
I personally do about 3 hours worth of gaming in a typical day and get 7 hours total screen time. For me worst case scenerio is about 5½ hours if I do nothing but play heavy games like dead trigger and NFS MW.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

wow.. if i play subway surfers my battery dies in 3 hours.. I will try few more days to improve it(different roms, kernels). I hope i will not be forced to send it to warranty cause it takes too long..

Last edited:

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Only problem is that stupid MEDIA SERVER process eats up a lot of juice in both 4.2.x & 4.1.x

I've googled numerous threads about users complaining about how that drains your battery.

Google really needs to fix that.

We could probably push 15hrs screen on time if they fixed it.

Put .nomedia fike in every possible folder

Reactions: Neo3D

djsuju

May 10, 2012
Hey guys Use tirnity kernal for 4.2 the battery life is awesome mine stays almost a week with standby .. i will let u know with wifi,gps, bluetooth on ...

looking at the battery graph and stats, it looks like the device was left alone mostly, with the screen on. you see how even the slope down is, it lost battery at an even/steady rate. and the screen wasnt turned off the whole 13 hours. this isnt realistic use.

Yep, exactly, that's what you do when you watch a movie..you just turn it on and leave it there.

I'm about to go on an international flight, so it is realistic. I plan to just watch movies back to back most of the time. If someone reads a book on this, I don't see much variance either as long as the variables are kept the same (auto brightness, airplane mode, etc).

Besides, does waking up from and putting the Nexus 7 into STANDBY make it somehow spike in its power usage (like light bulbs/cars/etc)? Is there a way to measure that?

The next test I'm going to run is to see how long it lasts playing a movie file from an USB Flash memory stick using a USB OTG cable.

Last edited:

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Yep, exactly, that's what you do when you watch a movie..you just turn it on and leave it there.

I'm about to go on an international flight, so it is realistic. I plan to just watch movies back to back most of the time. If someone reads a book on this, I don't see much variance either as long as the variables are kept the same (auto brightness, airplane mode, etc).

Besides, does waking up from and putting the Nexus 7 into STANDBY make it somehow spike in its power usage (like light bulbs/cars/etc)? Is there a way to measure that?

The next test I'm going to run is to see how long it lasts playing a movie file from an USB Flash memory stick using a USB OTG cable.

yea, putting the device to sleep and waking it up will show plateaus(flatlines) and drops.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks for defining what screen on time is. we would all be lost without you.
    I ran a battery rundown test on the Nexus 7.
    • Notifications off
    • Wifi off
    • Bluetooth off
    • GPS off
    • Airplane mode on (I know redundant but wth)
    • Screen brightness auto
    • Reset Battery Stats in Recovery
    • Nav bar turned off
    • Video zoomed to make it fill up the entire screen. (Dice player does this nicely, just pinch & zoom in 5% increments, this video was set to 150%)

I used Dice Player to play that new Batman movie over and over again. It's a h.264 encoded movie @ 720p in MKV container (which I'm loving this container, you can embed subtitles! but I don't think the container matters cuz that's a demux function, not decode function, more important prolly is to use a h.264 profile that's mobile SOC-friendly). It was playing in [HW] accelerated mode.

We got a SCREEN ON time of almost 13 hours!! This lil guy will easily last long enough for most airplane flights. I was a bit worried honestly, cuz you know, Android has a bad rep for battery life. But, I don't think that's the case anymore.

Android ver/ROM/kernel nfo in screenshots.

BTW, SCREEN ON time is different than "battery life" time, because it records the time the device spent with the screen on. Total battery life includes sleep mode, this can sleep for days, maybe a week or two or more, never really tested it.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It would be cool so see others reproduce similar results!

UPDATE: Nexus 7 Screen On Time Battery Life Rundown USB OTG Flash Storage Memory Stick Test
    thanks for defining what screen on time is. we would all be lost without you.

Geeze, don't get your panties in a bunch. Don't assume all the readers here are veteran Android users.
    Thanks for the test. I too have noticed outstanding battery life. I just flew from Hawaii to Michigan and watched movies for over 9 hours on the flight. I still had over 30% when I arrived. This device definitely lasts all day for me!

sent from my perfect 32GB Nexus 7

settings > WiFi > advanced > keep WiFi on during sleep

the default setting is "always". change this to "only when plugged in".

it effectively puts the tablet into airplane mode when sleeping and unplugged.