How to Enable Native Visual Voicemail HTC One M8

Search This thread

goodtimes50

Oct 15, 2012
OKC
I wasn't S-off either. I ran into the same problems with trying to install them directly on the phone (dialer force closing). To me the quickest and simplest way to get it to work was to open the rom in 7Zip or WinRAR, delete the 4 apks you're replacing (phone, contacts, dialer, and messages) and add the 5 htc apks (phone, contacts, dialer, messages, and VVM). Then move the rom onto you phone, install, and use ES File Explorer to change the SKU to 7 and the Region to 1 in the ACC\default.xml file (otherwise VVM force closes). I keep a copy of the apks on my computer now so I can quickly do this to any rom I'm about to flash. Worked for me on ARHD 8.0 and 8.1.

Has anyone tried this successfully on Viper 1.8?

jfvick

Dec 20, 2012
Charleston
That sounds pretty solid, if new ground for me. At what point do you use ESFE to change the SKU and region?and does this affect anything else? Also, do you use a custom or stock kernel?

Thanks!

Looks like OP has updated the install instructions, just follow those. Changing SKU and region shouldn't affect anything from my experience. For me this worked on both stock and ElementalX kernel - I wouldn't think kernel would affect this either.

Reactions: OGhoul

OGhoul

Apr 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
Looks like OP has updated the install instructions, just follow those. Changing SKU and region shouldn't affect anything from my experience. For me this worked on both stock and ElementalX kernel - I wouldn't think kernel would affect this either.

Followed the instructions to the letter. Flashing now. (I also S-Offed while I was waiting on 7zip and N++ to download and install.)

Edit: It worked flawlessly. THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Bsmith0731

Jan 15, 2013
I can confirm this worked for me also.

However I am stuck with the AT&T sign in the status bar and also the data signal never goes away like it does in the international version. Just FYI

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

OGhoul

Apr 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
Any idea if this will work with the latest ARHD, 10.1? It's 4.4.3, which means ElementX cannot be used.

Edit: It does work, and ElementX is now available for 4.4.3 Sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: jviruet

Lancaster84

Sep 26, 2013
I would like to do the mod and reflash per the instructions but I can't find the different files. Could someone please provide links to these files most current versions?

Niggiebro

Feb 7, 2009
City Of Angels
Stock APK files

Restore Native AT&T Visual Voicemail on any ARHD ROM for the HTC One M8 (only works with AT&T carrier)
  • S-Off is not required (S-Off is only required if you want to update your firmware to the latest version)
  • Phone must obviously be unlocked and rooted
  • I don't recommend using v9.1 ROM, the ElementX kernal will not be updated to support 4.4.3 thus sense 6.0 toolbox homescreen swipe commands and motion gestures will not work. I read that 4.4.4 will be out soon, so no one is really investing time in custom kernals to support sense-based ROMs for 4.4.3. You can still updated your firmware to the latest version and run the 8.1 ROM. I recommend searching for the "no red text" firmware version.
  • Keep in mind that your Voicemails won't download when you're connected to a Wifi Network. If anyone has a fix for this please post and PM me so I can update this thread.

1) Right click "Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip" and select 7-Zip "Open Archive"
2) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\priv-app\
3) Drop the following stock AT&T APK files

• ATT_VVM3.apk (required)
  • HtcContacts.apk (might not be required)
  • HtcDialer.apk (might not be required)
  • Message.apk (might not be required)
  • Phone.apk (might not be required)
4) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\additions\carriers\att\system\customize\ACC\
5) Extract the default.xml file to your desktop
6) Open with Notepad++
7) Scroll to the bottom
8) Set Region value to 1 (USA) <item type="integer" name="region">1</item>
9) Set Product SKU ID to 7 (ATT Model) <item type="integer" name="sku_id">7</item>
10) Save and drop the default.xml file back in \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\additions\carriers\att\system\customize\ACC\
11) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\customize\ACC\
12) Drop your modified default.xml file here as well \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\customize\ACC\
13) Copy Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip to your phone and flash away!

Where do you get the stock apk files.

shadowsports

Sep 1, 2014
NorCal
Works? Doesn't Work Any More

HTC has changed the files,this mod will not work any longer on 2.22.XXX.X builds

I think by now many of us are using 2.22.x... FW. Does anyone have recent experience with this? Half say it works, half say it doesn't. This is the only feature I'm missing on my device now. Currently ARHD 11.1. I dealt with the no VVM over Wi-Fi issue previously. I can deal with it again, if I can get it to work with ARHD 11.1. I don't want to be stock, but am tired of flashing and setup. Truth is I love to play, but work and family don't allow it.

Last edited:

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
Theres a debloated 2.23.502.3 build that has all att functions working,some of the euro roms are not getting correct network speeds on att devices,vvm integrated into the dialer and messaging has been changed @ files...so ask your rom maker if he has plans to integrate it into his rom with the correct files,these are old files that do not work on newer bases as htc combined files together.VVM as I read on att support site and on playstore, does not work on wifi unfortunately.

I think by now many of us are using 2.22.x... FW. Does anyone have recent experience with this? Half say it works, half say it doesn't. This is the only feature I'm missing on my device now. Currently ARHD 11.1. I dealt with the no VVM over Wi-Fi issue previously. I can deal with it again, if I can get it to work with ARHD 11.1. I don't want to be stock, but am tired of flashing and setup. Truth is I love to play, but work and family don't allow it.

Last edited:

Mycologist

Oct 21, 2010

I'm on arhd 11.1 with 2.22.401.5 fw and it works fine. I just set up a folder I can drag into the rom zip when I open it up in 7zip that overwrites the files in the rom with the stock ones.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
These are not the correct files for att vvm to work...Listed below are the correct apk files/names needed for dialer/message to be used....there are other config files as well but this should give you your vvm in dialer and messaging.

ATT_VVM3.apk (required) Unchanged.
HtcContacts.apk (might not be required) Changed to HtcContactsDialer.apk.
HtcDialer.apk (might not be required) Changed to HtcContactsDialer.apk.
Message.apk (might not be required) Unchanged.
Phone.apk (might not be required) Unchanged.

Reactions: ccw1134

aiwapro

Mar 15, 2007
I tried the "If you want to keep it simple" option and Titanium Backup Pro got stuck on PROCESSING, when I selected to change it to a System app. I rebooted after a while, and now the option in Titanium Backup says to Change to User App., so maybe it worked. However, I can't find Visual Voicemail anywhere. Note that I only installed the VVM app., not the other APKs.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Jul 10, 2013
Old mod if on anything above 4.4.4,it has changed again@ whats needed in non att specific roms

I tried the "If you want to keep it simple" option and Titanium Backup Pro got stuck on PROCESSING, when I selected to change it to a System app. I rebooted after a while, and now the option in Titanium Backup says to Change to User App., so maybe it worked. However, I can't find Visual Voicemail anywhere. Note that I only installed the VVM app., not the other APKs.

NBarlow74

Aug 9, 2008
Omaha
Icon is just a black box in the dialer app

I do have visual voicemail working, but the spot were the icon should be in the dialer is just a black box.
I am running ARHD 22.2 on the AT&T version of the M8. I did notice that I couldn't find this section in the ARHD zip file.
\additions\carriers\att\system\custo mize\ACC\
Could that be why it is missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-23-13-55-51.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-23-13-55-51.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 239

TrickMasterPC

Apr 29, 2014
I do have visual voicemail working, but the spot were the icon should be in the dialer is just a black box.
I am running ARHD 22.2 on the AT&T version of the M8. I did notice that I couldn't find this section in the ARHD zip file.
\additions\carriers\att\system\custo mize\ACC\
Could that be why it is missing?

You see that black box because your firmware version is too new, you need to use firmware 3.28.401.9 and you won't see that black box.
1) Update firmware
2) Reflash ROM

This procedure only works for android v4. Things have changed so dramatically on v5. I've decrypted the v5 ATT rom, extracted the VVM files, dropped them into the ARHD 40.1 ROM, but still I can't get VVM to work. The stock ATT v5 Rom doesn't have Messages.apk, Phone.apk etc. I'm missing something, but will figure it out eventually.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Restore Native AT&T Visual Voicemail on any ARHD ROM for the HTC One M8 (only works with AT&T carrier)
    • S-Off is not required (S-Off is only required if you want to update your firmware to the latest version)
    • Phone must obviously be unlocked and rooted
    • I don't recommend using v9.1 ROM, the ElementX kernal will not be updated to support 4.4.3 thus sense 6.0 toolbox homescreen swipe commands and motion gestures will not work. I read that 4.4.4 will be out soon, so no one is really investing time in custom kernals to support sense-based ROMs for 4.4.3. You can still updated your firmware to the latest version and run the 8.1 ROM. I recommend searching for the "no red text" firmware version.
    • Keep in mind that your Voicemails won't download when you're connected to a Wifi Network. If anyone has a fix for this please post and PM me so I can update this thread.

1) Right click "Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip" and select 7-Zip "Open Archive"
    2) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\priv-app\
    3) Drop the following stock AT&T APK files

• ATT_VVM3.apk (required)
    • HtcContacts.apk (might not be required)
    • HtcDialer.apk (might not be required)
    • Message.apk (might not be required)
    • Phone.apk (might not be required)
    4) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\additions\carriers\att\system\customize\ACC\
    5) Extract the default.xml file to your desktop
    6) Open with Notepad++
    7) Scroll to the bottom
    8) Set Region value to 1 (USA) <item type="integer" name="region">1</item>
    9) Set Product SKU ID to 7 (ATT Model) <item type="integer" name="sku_id">7</item>
    10) Save and drop the default.xml file back in \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\additions\carriers\att\system\customize\ACC\
    11) Browse to \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\customize\ACC\
    12) Drop your modified default.xml file here as well \Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip\system\customize\ACC\
    13) Copy Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_8.1.zip to your phone and flash away!
    Yeah I've uninstalled the apps with titanium backup and tried the process multiple times on my ATT variant running Viper ROM to no avail.

This works 100% on the Android Revolution HD Rom for the ATT variant. The ARHD ROM is the stock rom modified by mike1986. I'm not sure how the Viper ROM was developed ie from stock ROM or from KitKat baseline ROM.

Unless your married to Viper I would highly recommend checking out the ARHD ROM, you won't be disappointed. It's an incredible ROM.
    Is this the version of the VVM that integrates into the HTC messaging app?

Yes, this is the app that integrates into your native Messages.apk (scroll left to view voicemails, scroll right to view all messages {VM, SMS, MMS}, and right again to view just SMS/MMS).
    I sent them the files,what they do with them is another story....lol

Why don't you show Jan how it's done? :p
    I'm looking to do this also. I'm afraid of this happening, hoping for a better method.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I attempted the methods above (I'm on ARHD 8.1) and it did not work. When I went to install Phone.apk it told me that the app isn't installed. Also, I'm not S-Off. Firewater said I'd never be able to get it. :(

So I restarted, and used Ti Backup to set all of the apps to user level. Restarted. Reinstalled the new apks. Restarted. Used Ti Backup to set them all to System apps. Restarted.

Now I'm being hit with a barrage of "Unfortunately, Dialer has stopped working" messages, the phone icon is missing from my dock, and the only thing I can do with my phone is hit the Ok on the error message.

I wasn't S-off either. I ran into the same problems with trying to install them directly on the phone (dialer force closing). To me the quickest and simplest way to get it to work was to open the rom in 7Zip or WinRAR, delete the 4 apks you're replacing (phone, contacts, dialer, and messages) and add the 5 htc apks (phone, contacts, dialer, messages, and VVM). Then move the rom onto you phone, install, and use ES File Explorer to change the SKU to 7 and the Region to 1 in the ACC\default.xml file (otherwise VVM force closes). I keep a copy of the apks on my computer now so I can quickly do this to any rom I'm about to flash. Worked for me on ARHD 8.0 and 8.1.