[Q] Galaxy SII GT9100 IMEI lost after Factory Reset

Search This thread

Kamis5050

Mar 11, 2014
First of all, hello everybody!

Now, straight to the point.

Yesterday I went ahead and upgraded my S2 to official 4.1.2 via Kiev. Was working fine. I then installed jeboo_kernel_i9100_v1-2a using Odin to gain access to CWM, as suggested in one of the articles on web. Done a backup (file sitting on my PC now). Turned phone on, did a factory reset(through phone menu) and that's when problems started. Phone wouldn't turn on/go past Samsung Galaxy s2 IG9100 logo (yellow traingle due to the kernel change, I presume). That's when I used a Siyah-s2-v6.0b4 kernel, which helped me get past the logo and into the system. Unfortunately, I now don't have IMEI/service. I have no idea what I've done wrong or what happened.

My phone is NOT rooted and I didn't install any custom rom. I tried getting the first kernel back and restoring my backup but that didn't work - first md5 mismatch, which I managed to get past but then something else interrupted the restoring process.

My phone is no longer on warranty. It was a contract phone with Orange UK (now out of contract and phone upgraded).

Now, I see a lot of this posted here so.

ODA: I9100XWLSY
Phone: Unknown
CSC: I9100ORALS8

I managed to get a hold of this official rom but I don't know whether I should flash it using Odin or not. I do not have any other copies of my phone, apart from basic copy->paste of the content (which I've done on older firmware) and earlier mentioned backup done using CWM.

I will greatly appreciate your help guys and girls. Handset was well cared for and it was supposed to be passed down but it seems like I've done more bad than good!

Thank you
-K

Kamis5050

Mar 11, 2014
Check ur internal storage for a file named efsbackup ... u just need to use that file ... also there a thread in gen sec HOW To recover lost imei... I hope u havent read it yet...

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1264021

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I can't see that folder. This is probably due the fact that I haven't actually rooted the phone. It was just different kernel, backup trough cwm and factory reset.

I already went through pages of how tos but I can't make much sense out of it and Im not sure how to apply what I've read to my case. Should I root the phone even with imei gone? If so, what's the best method? Sorry to be a pain. I probably just focused myself with all the reading and searching! :(

Cheers
-K

Kamis5050

Mar 11, 2014
Done!

Quick update guys!

I went ahead and flashed the stock rom that I found on one of the websites. Phone is back up and running with correct IMEI :) I guess I was lucky mainly because I haven't actually rooted my phone thus leaving efs untouched. S2 got confused perhaps?

Either way, all is good.

I'm not sure if there's any way/point to backup the whole device even if I'm not planning to play about with custom roms. Not even sure if I should factory reset the phone given what happened earlier!

-K

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
No, you can't back up EFS without root, and that's by design. If you were able to, it would probably mean all kinds of other system files would be visible/able to be deleted by 'normal users', which would be silly of phone manufacturers. Besides, if you're not modding your phone you shouldn't need an EFS backup anyway. If you haven't messed with the phone & it's under warranty, it's a standard warranty fix (if you don't have warranty, then obviously you need to consider whether rooting the phone is worth it to backup EFS).

Various apps on Google Play enable you to backup various things, as does Kies, but none are anywhere near as thorough as a nandroid (CWM) backup on a rooted phone which is essentially a 'snapshot' of your phone at the time you make the backup.

Reactions: HighlanderZA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, you can't back up EFS without root, and that's by design. If you were able to, it would probably mean all kinds of other system files would be visible/able to be deleted by 'normal users', which would be silly of phone manufacturers. Besides, if you're not modding your phone you shouldn't need an EFS backup anyway. If you haven't messed with the phone & it's under warranty, it's a standard warranty fix (if you don't have warranty, then obviously you need to consider whether rooting the phone is worth it to backup EFS).

Various apps on Google Play enable you to backup various things, as does Kies, but none are anywhere near as thorough as a nandroid (CWM) backup on a rooted phone which is essentially a 'snapshot' of your phone at the time you make the backup.