Turn your JAM to ultimate MP3 player

Search This thread

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
This is the first mod that I am doing to all my PocketPC Phone devices - modifying stereo headset. Original ones are Ok if you intend using them for 10 minutes or so, after that is just a plain torture. Well, at least for me.

Here is the result of my mod. Standard heads are replaced with SONY MDR EX51LP. Paired with this little addon for adjusting bass and treble it creates amazing result. In fact, it sounds better than any standalone mp3 player
http://xdaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=14317

IMG_3022_resize.jpg

IMG_3024_resize.jpg

sorci

Dec 1, 2004
Wwoo nice.. talking about torture. I used the ones that come with the PDA2K for 50 min straight now.. Jesus... it made me think the machine it self output garbage. The ones that come with the PDA2K are more suited for calls not music.. I wonder if there's anywhere to purchase something like you did. I don't have time myself for modifications.. I wouldn't mind the mic.. Maybe i'll just find a plug converter and plugin my sony's to the i-mate.. Good job you did.. looks professional

ID64

Oct 1, 2003

It took me maybe 15 min to do :)

Of course, adapter will work, but them if someone calls you while you listen to the music you'll have to unplug headset and use the unit itself. In this case, just press a buttom ;)

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
kta said:
Another good solution is to buy the SE headset. It works just fine with the JAM including the mic. I may go for the one with the radio on it as well. And that makes the Compact/JAM really complete!!

which one are you refering to?

killercheung

Feb 20, 2003
I prefer use a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm stereo adatpor for listen mp3.....
not every people want to convert their expansive earphone to a XDA-ONLY handsfree...

siukeung

Dec 14, 2004
killercheung said:
not every people want to convert their expansive earphone to a XDA-ONLY handsfree...

I would say replace the 2 earspeaker units instead of cut in the middle of the line. Also, both earphone can be reverse to the very begin when need....

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
killercheung said:

Nobody got a gun to their heads :D

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
Yorch said:
can you show step,, by step, how to do it???. Can you also post more pictures?

I'm assuming this will also work with the XDAII headset

I can't post step-by-step pictures since unit is already assembled. sorry. But it's really easy:

1. Take apart this middle thingy by inserting your nails or very thin plastic knife. Meake sure no ti brake 4 little plastic clips, 2 on each side.

2. Take off top part.

3. Gently push wire from headphones side in to give some freedom for the circut board.

4. Lift it up the cisrcuit board and expose soldering points

5. Write down existing coloring of the wires soldered.

5. Unsolder

6. Cut appropriate lenght from Sony or whatever you wanna use.

7. Prepare wires for soldering

8. Don't forget to twist the wire the same manner as the original was.

9. Test headphones with case open and make sure both channels are working

10. Gently close cover

Sorry, was typing this in the rush. Feel free to ask more

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
Sugar did the trick! It looks much better now without blue imate/jam letters.

I am not big fan of badges on anything :)

car.jpg

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 13
G

How did you remove the logos?

Definitely something I want to do :)

P

ID64

Oct 1, 2003
From imate or from the car? :p

From imate - with sugar cube

From car - with dental floss

P.S. You never know when and where those households thing might become handy :p :p :p

penicilllin

Mar 12, 2004

I think of attaching a 3.5mm female plug just above the accept/reject button on the headphones so i can plug any headphones + i won't loose my expensive shruce..

but i always face problems in baring the wires of headphones they are very thin and fragile and can be cut easily i don't know about xda II headphones but im afraid that i will end up loosing it..

ID64 what do you think is the most adequate method of baring the wires????

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think that is better.

Just find the 2,5mm to 3,5mm adapter/cable.You can find it in the N-gage packet.So you can listen music with big normal headphones.It is very, very good.I do it.Now ilisten my 203 *.mp4's and its great...