Wifi Display / AirPlay / Android Transporter

Search This thread

reaper_07

Mar 29, 2012
New Delhi
Reactions: christian.koestlin
J

JohnM

Please check http://esrlabs.com/android-transporter/ again! We have updated the post with links to the Nexus-S image. Right now you need two (2) Nexus-S Phones to play with the android transporter.

!This is still a work in progress! Use at your own risk!

This is great! Sadly I don't have 2 unlocked nexus s devices but it's nice to see that people who do can try this!

Did you have to make many system wide changes or was it editing and adding a few files to make it work?

By the way, would you mind if this post got publicity? I could get a lot of people to see it from a forum that has thousands of readers and is sorted by up/down "votes." I'm sure this will get a lot of interest and thus up votes to reach the front page and get a good number of people to see it.

(The website is www.reddit.com/r/android)

Of course, I can wait until you have the finished project and then post it or post this and the finished project.
Also do you have a donation page? I've really been wanting this for a while and my only way to repay would be with a donation... I am however broke but my birthday is coming up and I might be able to scrap like $20 to donate.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2009
Spreading the word on reddit

This is great! Sadly I don't have 2 unlocked nexus s devices but it's nice to see that people who do can try this!

Did you have to make many system wide changes or was it editing and adding a few files to make it work?

By the way, would you mind if this post got publicity? I could get a lot of people to see it from a forum that has thousands of readers and is sorted by up/down "votes." I'm sure this will get a lot of interest and thus up votes to reach the front page and get a good number of people to see it.

(The website is www.reddit.com/r/android)

Of course, I can wait until you have the finished project and then post it or post this and the finished project.
Also do you have a donation page? I've really been wanting this for a while and my only way to repay would be with a donation... I am however broke but my birthday is coming up and I might be able to scrap like $20 to donate.

Hi,

some more publicity would always be great.

Actually we had to adapt some core components of the android platform (e.g. the surfaceflinger, which is used to compose the different surfaces together). The encoding/decoding is almost done with the original code (just minor changes).

It would be really great, if you could post this (or perhaps the esrlabs-post) on reddit, just to see if there is some interest in this. As we want to open-source this project, this would also be a good chance to get in touch with people who have a deep knowledge with OMX on nexus-s or galaxy nexus, as most of our problems seem to be in this context. We are hoping to be able to push out some more updates in the near future, but I think our current release is already interesting for people who want to experiment :)

thanks in advance!

J

JohnM

Hi,

some more publicity would always be great.

Actually we had to adapt some core components of the android platform (e.g. the surfaceflinger, which is used to compose the different surfaces together). The encoding/decoding is almost done with the original code (just minor changes).

It would be really great, if you could post this (or perhaps the esrlabs-post) on reddit, just to see if there is some interest in this. As we want to open-source this project, this would also be a good chance to get in touch with people who have a deep knowledge with OMX on nexus-s or galaxy nexus, as most of our problems seem to be in this context. We are hoping to be able to push out some more updates in the near future, but I think our current release is already interesting for people who want to experiment :)

thanks in advance!

A lot of these people on Reddit are general Android enthusiants -- not many developers there. XDA is a better place to look for developers. You'd just need to make a new thread asking for someone with a knowledge on that who would like to help you.

I submitted the post:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/uir77/lagfree_wireless_android_display_mirroring_in_the/

If it shows here, that means you made the front page:
http://www.reddit.com/r/android

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2009
A lot of these people on Reddit are general Android enthusiants -- not many developers there. XDA is a better place to look for developers. You'd just need to make a new thread asking for someone with a knowledge on that who would like to help you.

I submitted the post:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/uir77/lagfree_wireless_android_display_mirroring_in_the/

If it shows here, that means you made the front page:
http://www.reddit.com/r/android

thanks a lot yousefak :) will try to comment the reddit thread ...

spiezas

Jun 11, 2012
Patching into CM9

I was just starting a github project for this very thing when I decided googling may be a good way to proceed first.

Great job. If you're sharing the source, I'd like to look into patching it into an available kernel source. I also have a sneaking suspicion that JellyBean may do this. But that won't help systems tied to earlier versions.

Reactions: christian.koestlin
Apr 27, 2009
I was just starting a github project for this very thing when I decided googling may be a good way to proceed first.

Great job. If you're sharing the source, I'd like to look into patching it into an available kernel source. I also have a sneaking suspicion that JellyBean may do this. But that won't help systems tied to earlier versions.

hi, patching the kernel source should not be necessary. right now the android-transporter is just one apk and some patches to the platform (mainly in framesworks/base).
do you work actively at the cm9-project?

spiezas

Jun 11, 2012
transporter

i'm not active in the cm9 source. i originally come from the iOS side, where i've written machine vision and video encoding solutions. i was working on an airplay app pre-airplay, but as you know apple give iOS dev's only the read back alternative that stalls the entire graphics pipe. end of story on that side.

now, for a new project, we're looking to android that exposes the source and hooks for grabbing the composite surface from flinger and encode it for video transmission (through the existing hardware blocks, streamed into rtp or ts files).

normally i wouldn't disclose as much. but the momentum is in the air enough that open source seems to be the best way to go.

ellimistx99

Jun 2, 2007
Apr 27, 2009
Wow looks pretty cool.

I noticed you had the Wi-Fi direct part enabled in the video. Would it be possible just to release the part of the source code that allows two devices to connect to each other? Not necessarily the display imaging part?

Because the Nexus phones can't even use WiFi direct between each other properly right now :(

No ... we do not use Wifi Direct in the moment to setup the connection between the devices. We just create an mobile access point with the phone and connect to this.
The Nexus-S devices are as far as I know not Wifi Direct capable, and we only have one Galaxy Nexus, so we cannot test this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi community,

based on ICS we developed "Android-Transporter" which is similar to WiFi
    Display
    or Air Play. It allows you to transfer your display to another
    device. For a demonstration see http://esrlabs.com/android-transporter.

To implement this efficiently we had to hack the platform, to allow us to
    grab the screen content in the surface-flinger. The image is then encoded
    with the standard media-encoder which uses the hardware acceleration of
    your mobile. The result is streamed with rtsp to another device (the demo
    shows another mobile, but this could also be a tv or media-center).

Right now this is just a hack, but we plan to continue our work on
    this. The next steps on our road-map are:
    - Dual screen support with accompanying SDK.
    - WiFi Direct support.
    - We plan to open-source our patches for the Android platform.

For the last point we thought of the brilliant cm9. Would this be of
    interest for the cyanogenmod community? If you are willing to give this a
    try, we would love to contribute to cm9.

Regards,

Christian Köstlin
    Android Transporter for the Nexus7 and Raspberry PI

Hi all,

update from the Android Transporter:
    We just released the first public preview for Nexus 7 playing together with Raspberry PI.
    If you happen to have these devices at hand please give it a try:
    Details and instructions:
    http://esrlabs.com/android-transporter-for-the-nexus-7-and-the-raspberry-pi/
    Sounds interesting, any way we can try this for ourselves?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app
    If you can extend this somehow to computer LCD screens I would be very much interested.
    Nexus-S image

Sounds interesting, any way we can try this for ourselves?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

Thanks for your interest. If you have two Nexus-S at hand I could provide you with an ICS-4.0.3-based images.

Both devices should already be in the same WiFi-network, as we do not
    have WiFi-direct for the Nexus-S (for the demo I just created a
    portable WiFi-hotspot with one of the devices). Additionally you need
    two small apks (one one the client, one on the server, which I would also provide) to initiate the video-transport between the two devices. After a NFC-bump the connection should be established and the display mirrored from one
    device to the other.

As this is not yet a final release, I would like to give you the links to the images and the apks by private message.

regards

christian