Can't update phone

Search This thread

Shi_IL

Nov 17, 2012
I got my Samsung S3 I-9300 International from eBay with version 4.1.1
I've tried to update the phone by I get the msg "Your device have been modified, Software updates are not available". I tried to use Kies but still it didn't work.
Then I downloaded Version 4.1.2 from SamMobile and tried to flash it using Odin 3.07 and all I get is "FAIL!" every time.
I've installed the drivers, reboot my computer, change the USB cable, tried different USB ports and still no success.

Here is the log I get from Odin:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9300XXEMC2_I9300OJKEMD2_I9300JKEMC1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> tz.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!

At the moment I'm perplexed because I don't understand what is wrong.
Any suggestion guys?

Here is my phone's info 20140117_171253.jpg

amirTor

Jan 18, 2014
Sorry for the dumb quastion- but is your phone switched to download mode before you plug it to your computer?

Anyway, I suggest to try downloading newer version of Odin and check if it works, or get the 3.09 and try to flash 4.3 version.
(By the way, make sure that only 'Auto reboot' and 'F.reset time' are checked)

If it still doesn't work. i suggest trying to flash philz recovery and root (if you don't have it already):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2002953
and install CWM based rom from the variety of the dev section (I personally suggest the one in my signature).

Last edited:

Shi_IL

Nov 17, 2012
Sorry for the dumb quastion- but is your phone switched to download mode before you plug it to your computer?

Anyway, I suggest to try downloading newer version of Odin and check if it works, or get the 3.09 and try to flash 4.3 version.

If it still doesn't work. i suggest trying to flash philz recovery and root (if you don't have it already):
and install CWM based rom from the variety of the dev section (I personally suggest the one in my signature).

Yes I switched it to download mode before I plug it in to my computer.

I downloaded Odin 3.09 but it looks diffarent and I'm not sure what boxes I need to check and where to upload the stock ROM file (some help would be great).
From what I've read about version 4.3 I think I want to wait a bit before flashing it. But I still want to try and flash the 4.1.2
If it dosen't work, why should I flash philz recovery (what exactly is it?)

amirTor

Jan 18, 2014
in 3.09:
cp = phone
bl = bootloader
ap = pda
everything else is similar. and you dont need to check anything. just load the rom as pda, connect your device in downlaload mode, wait until the upper left square becomes blue with text "0:com..." and press start.
(By the way- rom of which country are you trying to download?)

philz recovery is cwm based custom recovery (like modded bios in pc) that lets you install roms without the need of using odin or pc). the link I gave you is the developer installing guide).

ps- I'm using 4.3 rom for about a month, and I can say for sure that the current known builds (mk6, ml2, ml4) are stable as any 4.1.2 rom and more

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shi_IL

Nov 17, 2012

in 3.09:
cp = phone
bl = bootloader
ap = pda
everything else is similar. and you dont need to check anything. just load the rom as pda, connect your device in downlaload mode, wait until the upper left square becomes blue with text "0:com..." and press start.
(By the way- rom of which country are you trying to download?)

philz recovery is cwm based custom recovery (like modded bios in pc) that lets you install roms without the need of using odin or pc). the link I gave you is the developer installing guide).

ps- I'm using 4.3 rom for about a month, and I can say for sure that the current known builds (mk6, ml2, ml4) are stable as any 4.1.2 rom and more

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I think I found the problem but now I'm stuck.
I've downloaded a diffarente ROM stock version for my country and tried to flash it with Odin 3.07 and it failed.
Now my phone is "soft bricked" but I have noticed something.
When I bought the phone on eBay they listed it as a Galaxy S3 I9300 Factory Unlock. Now when I put the phone in download mode it says "Product Name: SGH-I747". Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that an AT&T version??
In the "About device" it shows that the Model number is GT-I9300. How is that Possible?
2.jpg
How do I get my phone to work again?!

amirTor

Jan 18, 2014
Jackpot!
Just to be 100% sure- check the model number on the sticker beneath device battery...

Last edited:

amirTor

Jan 18, 2014
Download mode is one of the most accurate indicators for your phone model.
but before jumping into conclusions, Check the FCC ID and SSN number.
One more thing to check is the type of recovery you have- enter by pressing Home + Power + volume Up, and upload a picture of it.

Last edited:

zhuoxian

Feb 20, 2011
guangzhou
Man,also you can flash a custom REC DOWNLOAD ZIP file flash it. Backup your efs before flash

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Shi_IL

Nov 17, 2012
Download mode is one of the most accurate indicators for your phone model.
but before jumping into conclusions, Check the FCC ID and SSN number.
One more thing to check is the type of recovery you have- enter by pressing Home + Power + volume Up, and upload a picture of it.

What do I do with the FCC ID and the SSN number?

3.jpg

Now what?

amirTor

Jan 18, 2014
Ok- just wanted to check if you've got a custom recovery which will make life little bit easier. Nevermind.
If its help somehow, there are several cases similar the one that you have:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2148249
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2563230

In my opinion, you have 4 different choices:
1- Try to flash SGH-I747 Stock rom with odin form Sammoblie- It supposed to work, but i don't familiar with the outcome in a case where your phone was been unblocked to use in other countries and carriers beside AT&T.
2- Try to install custom recovery following this guide:http://www.teamandroid.com/2012/08/24/install-clockworkmod-recovery-att-galaxy-s3-sgh-i747-odin/
and then try to install custom rom (considered to be less risky than the first choice, but yet again...)
3- Try to start your phone with safe mode (just pressing vol down button while it starts up), and try to instal CPU-z for android to check your real phone specs.
4- Try to ask the same quastion in above forums, hoping that someone has figured out a way.

Sorry for not being too much of a help at this point :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Shi_IL

Shi_IL

Nov 17, 2012
So I've "soft brick" my phone and I want to fix it.
I found out that I need to download this "boot-stock-att-sgh-i747.tar" but I can't find a working link anywhere!!
Can anyone know about a working link? Please!!

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android
But it's a GT-I9300. Everything says that. The phine info, on the sticker under the battery. The only place it shows the modek name SGH-I747 is on download mode.
I can I know which model is it exactly?

Then it looks like someone as tried to flash a SGH-1747 firmware on your GT-19300 :silly:If that has happened it will show SGH-1747 in download mode!

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
But it's a GT-I9300. Everything says that. The phine info, on the sticker under the battery. The only place it shows the modek name SGH-I747 is on download mode.
I can I know which model is it exactly?

You said
I found out that I need to download this "boot-stock-att-sgh-i747.tar

Therefore its found on I747 forum not I9300 .

This whole thread is ambiguous its I747 firmware but its not i747 .
In which case the phone may well be bricked as per first post .

But you want to download a boot for att sgh .1747 .

Go to a service centre with a JTag machine .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok- just wanted to check if you've got a custom recovery which will make life little bit easier. Nevermind.
    If its help somehow, there are several cases similar the one that you have:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2148249
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2563230

In my opinion, you have 4 different choices:
    1- Try to flash SGH-I747 Stock rom with odin form Sammoblie- It supposed to work, but i don't familiar with the outcome in a case where your phone was been unblocked to use in other countries and carriers beside AT&T.
    2- Try to install custom recovery following this guide:http://www.teamandroid.com/2012/08/24/install-clockworkmod-recovery-att-galaxy-s3-sgh-i747-odin/
    and then try to install custom rom (considered to be less risky than the first choice, but yet again...)
    3- Try to start your phone with safe mode (just pressing vol down button while it starts up), and try to instal CPU-z for android to check your real phone specs.
    4- Try to ask the same quastion in above forums, hoping that someone has figured out a way.

Sorry for not being too much of a help at this point :(