Updating without rooting

Search This thread

darksome123

Apr 18, 2014
Hey guys, I'm not new here...new account, since lost my other account.

Anyway, I got a T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 replacement the other day, but unfortunately it came stocked with Gingerbread. I've been trying to update it with Kies to no avail. It crashes and gets stuck...the typical Kies story. I was wondering if there's another way of updating the firmware without actually having to root the phone. To be more specific, on recovery mode I know there is an option that says "Apply update from external storage". Is it possible to download a ROM, say the latest official T-Mobile firmware Jelly Bean 4.1.2, and then apply it through this recovery mode option, or will I have to use Odin in order for that update to be applied? If the only option is to use Odin, what would be the best and easiest way to go about it? I've never flashed a phone before and am afraid of bricking it.

Thanks in advance.

Information about the phone.

model:SGH-T989
Android Version: 2.3.5
Baseband Version: T989UVKID
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.11
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.UVKID

Fasted12

Jan 28, 2014
Hey guys, I'm not new here...new account, since lost my other account.

Anyway, I got a T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 replacement the other day, but unfortunately it came stocked with Gingerbread. I've been trying to update it with Kies to no avail. It crashes and gets stuck...the typical Kies story. I was wondering if there's another way of updating the firmware without actually having to root the phone. To be more specific, on recovery mode I know there is an option that says "Apply update from external storage". Is it possible to download a ROM, say the latest official T-Mobile firmware Jelly Bean 4.1.2, and then apply it through this recovery mode option, or will I have to use Odin in order for that update to be applied? If the only option is to use Odin, what would be the best and easiest way to go about it? I've never flashed a phone before and am afraid of bricking it.

Thanks in advance.

Information about the phone.

model:SGH-T989
Android Version: 2.3.5
Baseband Version: T989UVKID
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.11
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.UVKID

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2226886
works , go through the post to find a mirror link for file.
odin works better if kies is completely off-end background processes

darksome123

Apr 18, 2014
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2226886
works , go through the post to find a mirror link for file.
odin works better if kies is completely off-end background processes

I've downloaded Odin and the stock ROM, the only problem is that I am unable to go into Download mode, instead I'm only able to go into recovery mode. Which brings me back to my original question, on the recovery mode screen it says "apply update from external storage", is it possible to download the ROM onto my SD card and apply it through Recovery Mode? Or is it absolutely necessary to use Odin or Kies for official updates?

Fasted12

Jan 28, 2014
I've downloaded Odin and the stock ROM, the only problem is that I am unable to go into Download mode, instead I'm only able to go into recovery mode. Which brings me back to my original question, on the recovery mode screen it says "apply update from external storage", is it possible to download the ROM onto my SD card and apply it through Recovery Mode? Or is it absolutely necessary to use Odin or Kies for official updates?

not sure, never flashed from a stock recovery, i usually pull battery plug to computer with cable attached, hold vol up and down while putting battery in, when download comes up- vol up, the best way to flash stock

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

not sure, never flashed from a stock recovery, i usually pull battery plug to computer with cable attached, hold vol up and down while putting battery in, when download comes up- vol up, the best way to flash stock

open odin first -then this

darksome123

Apr 18, 2014
Yes, so 4 days later I was finally able to update it!

Since there was no way of getting into download mode the regular way, I had to trick the phone somehow:

1. I plugged it in.
2. Ran Kies.
3. Set it up to update firmware and allow Kies to set it into download mode.
4. Shut down Kies (including any background processes).
5. Unplug phone.
6. Run Odin.
7. Plug phone back in and start flashing!

I listed the steps just in case someone comes across the same problem Just note that I only did Step 3 because I knew Kies wouldn't update it, so it wouldn't come into direct conflict with Odin's update.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Last edited: