[MOD] HTC Car Mode Xposed! (Version 2.3) [Lollipop Compatible!]

Search This thread

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
The HTC Sense Car Mode app had some features removed or changed from the previous versions. Namely, statusbar pulldown has been blocked, along with switching apps and basically multitasking.

The reason for this is probably safety; to discourage drivers from tinkering too much with their phones while driving - and while I'm fully behind that I believe in giving people options - which is why I created this module!

So far it allows you to:
  • Bring back multitasking (status bar and 'recent apps' functionality).
  • Release the 'Home' button to let it go back to the default launcher.
  • Replace the default 3-Tap gesture action with anything you want!
  • Turn Wi-Fi and GPS on or off at startup and shutdown.
  • Bypass the exit confirmation dialog.
  • Automatically close apps opened from within the Car App on shutdown (requires root to be fully functional!)
And more features coming in all the time!

If you love the HTC Car app as much as I do, you'll enjoy this!

mud0MMo.png

Download
You can find it on the Xposed repository right here.
(It's marked as 'beta' so set your installer filter accordingly).

XDA:DevDB Information
HTC Car Mode Xposed!, Xposed for the HTC One (M8)

Contributors
Ambious
Source Code: https://github.com/eladavron/HTCCarXposed

Xposed Package Name: ambious.htccarxposed

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.1
Stable Release Date: 2014-11-02
Current Beta Version: 2.3
Beta Release Date: 2015-05-15

Created 2014-06-01
Last Updated 2015-05-16

Last edited:

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Changelog

Latest Versions:
Version 2.3 Pulled! This version seemed to cause other things to malfunction.

Version 2.2
  • Added Sense 7.0 Compatibility
  • Fixed an issue with the screen not staying on in older versions (Android 4.4)
(Not Tested on Sense 6.* Versions!)

Version 2.1
  • Fixed a bug that would cause the 3-finger gesture to crash the "Car" app even when not running.
  • Added a "Logging" option for better future debugging (saves log to file on the SD Card).
Version 2.0:
  • Now Lollipop Compatible! (not tested on KitKat)

Older Versions:

Version 1.9:
  • Added the option to turn off the screen when exiting the car-app - requires enabling Administrator Privileges (prompted when enabled).
Version 1.8:
  • Brought back the GPS startup and shutdown mods, should work fine now.
Version 1.7:
  • Added the option to override the "3-Fingers tap" gesture with either Google Hands-Free, Google Now or a custom app of your choice!
  • Fixed a bug with the Toggler where it would launch the settings app instead of the car if triggered by 3rd party app (such as NFC or Tasker).
Version 1.6:
  • Added the "App Toggler" which allows to shut down the car app through a global shortcut, or launch it if it's already closed.
  • Fixed a bug where Wi-Fi would turn off even by navigating away from the Car app and not just closing it.
  • Re-did the icon - again! (One day I'll be pleased with it).

Version 1.5:
  • Fixed "Multitasking"! Yes, the "Recent Apps" button now works and doesn't break anything! Thanks to the brilliant RichmondoUK for pointing me in the right direction.
  • Removed GPS mods - it wasn't working as well as I had hoped due to android privacy overrides.
Version 1.4:
  • Added 'Exit mods':
    • Change GPS and Wi-Fi states on exit
    • Close apps opened from the Car App (either using a regular shut-down which doesn't always work or the more powerful 'root' method).
    • Moved the "Exit without confirmation" option under this category
  • Some code touch-ups
Still no fully-working multi-tasking mod, sorry... that's one tough nut!
Version 1.2:
  • Default settings will bow be applied upon installation.
  • Added an option to bypass the exit confirmation dialog
  • Added the option to turn GPS and Wi-Fi on or off at startup.
    • You can also choose to - obviously - not change them at all.
    • I'm still working on turning them on and off when exiting the app, it's not working so well so far...

Version 1.1:
  • Interface added! You can now turn mods on and off selectively.
  • Added the option to release the 'Home' button.
  • New icon, slightly less ugly I hope.

Last edited:

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Information

Why disable a safety feature?
The HTC Car App introduced those blocking 'features' for an obvious reason: to discourage people from fumbling around with their phones while driving.
That's a good and important cause, but unfortunately it's not a very smart method of doing it - which is why this module was created. Consider the following scenario: You're in your default navigation app with the music player (which is controllable by the car app) running in the background. You want to skip the currently playing track. If everything's at stock, the new restrictions make it an annoyingly long process: You have to click the home button, enter the music control applet, skip the track as you normally would, then click the home button again, find the navigation app's icon and re-launch it. Without those restrictions all you do is pull down the statusbar, click the 'skip' button on the music player's active notification tile, and pull it back up.
HTC's restrictions - which are supposed to increase safety and attention while driving actually make it longer and more attention-consuming to perform such tasks.
This module allows you to overcome those restrictions, mostly, but I must still say - and I can not overstate this enough:
DRIVE SAFELY!
DON'T OPERATE YOUR DEVICE WHILE DRIVING !

Play music, navigate, make and take calls - but do so safely without fumbling around.
If anything doesn't work with less then three touches of the screen, or if it requires you to look at your device for more than a split-second glance - either forget about it or pull over! It's not worth it!

Last edited:
Reactions: ziaulh.ch

linuxsense

Jun 5, 2009
Very cool. I use the HTC car app quite a bit and always hated that I had to close it to access anything else. What other tweaks are possible? It would be nice to be able to switch the default music app to Google Music. Disabling wifi on launch would also be slick.

BTW, this works fine on the M7 with Sense 6.

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Very cool. I use the HTC car app quite a bit and always hated that I had to close it to access anything else. What other tweaks are possible? It would be nice to be able to switch the default music app to Google Music. Disabling wifi on launch would also be slick.

BTW, this works fine on the M7 with Sense 6.

Currently I'm mostly battling with basic things like making the 'recent apps' button work and making the settings toggleable without restarting. Once I get the basics working, I'll start seeing what else I can tinker with. Switching the default music app is not going to be easy because it's deeply integrated within the app, but I'll see what I can do.
As for the wifi, that shouldn't be too difficult.
Glad to hear it's working on other devices as well.

Reactions: osiedacz
R

Reyzis

Please add support for all apps in car mode! Currently you can add only a few apps .. For example you can't add Torque

linuxsense

Jun 5, 2009
Looks like the 1.1 version changes caused it to stop working with the M7 :crying:

ETA: Looks like it functions properly if "take over home button" is disabled. With that unchecked you can access the pulldown menu as well as reach the desktop or recent apps using the home button.

Last edited:

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Looks like the 1.1 version changes caused it to stop working with the M7 :crying:

ETA: Looks like it functions properly if "take over home button" is disabled. With that unchecked you can access the pulldown menu as well as reach the desktop or recent apps using the home button.

It might be something else, I noticed that the settings won't take until you run the settings interface at least once.
Please try to re-enable the setting and see if anything changes.
Thanks for the report!

linuxsense

Jun 5, 2009
It might be something else, I noticed that the settings won't take until you run the settings interface at least once.
Please try to re-enable the setting and see if anything changes.
Thanks for the report!

I am pretty sure that I ran settings app prior to trying it out, not completely sure though. I just toggled the home screen option and get the same results. It only works if it is not selected.

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
I am pretty sure that I ran settings app prior to trying it out, not completely sure though. I just toggled the home screen option and get the same results. It only works if it is not selected.

Hmm. I'm not getting that on the M8, but I'll look into it.
Unfortunately I don't have an M7 to test on.
Could you for the sake of testing go to the settings interface - uncheck both boxes, then recheck both boxes, then restart your device and see if it works then?
Thanks!

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Its work :good::good::good: thanks
Thanks for the info, I think I know what's causing it:
The mods don't take if the car app is running in the background because it hooks into methods as they load.
There's a command to kill it if it's running in the background and settings have been changed, but it might not have taken - or rather, it also won't be run if settings are at their default state, so if you install the mod, then run the car app, then load the module interface and change nothing - it still won't be set.
Next version will handle this more properly, I hope (currently writing it).

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
I agree, there doesn't seem to be a limit on which apps you can add and which you can't.
Your issue must be related to the app itself. Since I'm unfamiliar with Torque, I really can't tell.
Are there any other apps, as far as you can tell, that you can't add?

linuxsense

Jun 5, 2009
Hmm. I'm not getting that on the M8, but I'll look into it.
Unfortunately I don't have an M7 to test on.
Could you for the sake of testing go to the settings interface - uncheck both boxes, then recheck both boxes, then restart your device and see if it works then?
Thanks!

If I do that when I run the HTC car app the home button will open recent apps if double tapped but otherwise it just returns to car mode when home is pressed. If I disable it pressing home takes me to the desktop and double tapping it takes me to recent apps. I am running NuSenseSIX based off the m8-base fwiw. If you have any tweaks you would like tested let me know, I can provide logcats and such.

dafob

Dec 12, 2006
Planet Earth
Dialer not working

Thank you for this awesome mod. I'm not sure if it's the ROM I'm running, but I can't seem to launch the dialer using this module. All other buttons work normally, as well as the added functions of this module.

I'm running the Venom ROM on the M8.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Reactions: Ambious

linuxsense

Jun 5, 2009
Thank you for this awesome mod. I'm not sure if it's the ROM I'm running, but I can't seem to launch the dialer using this module. All other buttons work normally, as well as the added functions of this module.

I'm running the Venom ROM on the M8.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Good catch. Just shows how much I actually use my 'phone' for calls...had not even tried it yet :laugh:

I have the same issue on an M7, the 'Dialer' button in the car mode app doesn't do anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The HTC Sense Car Mode app had some features removed or changed from the previous versions. Namely, statusbar pulldown has been blocked, along with switching apps and basically multitasking.

The reason for this is probably safety; to discourage drivers from tinkering too much with their phones while driving - and while I'm fully behind that I believe in giving people options - which is why I created this module!

So far it allows you to:
    • Bring back multitasking (status bar and 'recent apps' functionality).
    • Release the 'Home' button to let it go back to the default launcher.
    • Replace the default 3-Tap gesture action with anything you want!
    • Turn Wi-Fi and GPS on or off at startup and shutdown.
    • Bypass the exit confirmation dialog.
    • Automatically close apps opened from within the Car App on shutdown (requires root to be fully functional!)
    And more features coming in all the time!

If you love the HTC Car app as much as I do, you'll enjoy this!

mud0MMo.png

Download
    You can find it on the Xposed repository right here.
    (It's marked as 'beta' so set your installer filter accordingly).

XDA:DevDB Information
    HTC Car Mode Xposed!, Xposed for the HTC One (M8)

Contributors
    Ambious
    Source Code: https://github.com/eladavron/HTCCarXposed

Xposed Package Name: ambious.htccarxposed

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.1
    Stable Release Date: 2014-11-02
    Current Beta Version: 2.3
    Beta Release Date: 2015-05-15

Created 2014-06-01
    Last Updated 2015-05-16
    So, I have some bad news.
    I recently upgraded my phone to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, which means it currently doesn't support Xposed - so I can't do much more testing or coding on this mod until Xposed is made compatible with ART (if ever).
    In the meantime - I plan to try and make a flashable mod for Lollipop (once I have more time, I have midterms in a month), but the Xposed module is currently put on developmental hold.
    Sorry folks. Drive safely.
    Just got an update through play store for the HTC car app and now the beta and experimental versions of this app won't work.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm gonna have to redo it... again... but the good news is that since the car app is up on the store the same version should be available to everyone so future compatibility should be easier to maintain.
    The bad news is that I don't have time at the moment, maybe over the weekend.
    Changelog

Latest Versions:
    Version 2.3 Pulled! This version seemed to cause other things to malfunction.

Version 2.2
    • Added Sense 7.0 Compatibility
    • Fixed an issue with the screen not staying on in older versions (Android 4.4)
    (Not Tested on Sense 6.* Versions!)

Version 2.1
    • Fixed a bug that would cause the 3-finger gesture to crash the "Car" app even when not running.
    • Added a "Logging" option for better future debugging (saves log to file on the SD Card).
    Version 2.0:
    • Now Lollipop Compatible! (not tested on KitKat)

Older Versions:

Version 1.9:
    • Added the option to turn off the screen when exiting the car-app - requires enabling Administrator Privileges (prompted when enabled).
    Version 1.8:
    • Brought back the GPS startup and shutdown mods, should work fine now.
    Version 1.7:
    • Added the option to override the "3-Fingers tap" gesture with either Google Hands-Free, Google Now or a custom app of your choice!
    • Fixed a bug with the Toggler where it would launch the settings app instead of the car if triggered by 3rd party app (such as NFC or Tasker).
    Version 1.6:
    • Added the "App Toggler" which allows to shut down the car app through a global shortcut, or launch it if it's already closed.
    • Fixed a bug where Wi-Fi would turn off even by navigating away from the Car app and not just closing it.
    • Re-did the icon - again! (One day I'll be pleased with it).

Version 1.5:
    • Fixed "Multitasking"! Yes, the "Recent Apps" button now works and doesn't break anything! Thanks to the brilliant RichmondoUK for pointing me in the right direction.
    • Removed GPS mods - it wasn't working as well as I had hoped due to android privacy overrides.
    Version 1.4:
    • Added 'Exit mods':
      • Change GPS and Wi-Fi states on exit
      • Close apps opened from the Car App (either using a regular shut-down which doesn't always work or the more powerful 'root' method).
      • Moved the "Exit without confirmation" option under this category
    • Some code touch-ups
    Still no fully-working multi-tasking mod, sorry... that's one tough nut!
    Version 1.2:
    • Default settings will bow be applied upon installation.
    • Added an option to bypass the exit confirmation dialog
    • Added the option to turn GPS and Wi-Fi on or off at startup.
      • You can also choose to - obviously - not change them at all.
      • I'm still working on turning them on and off when exiting the app, it's not working so well so far...

Version 1.1:
    • Interface added! You can now turn mods on and off selectively.
    • Added the option to release the 'Home' button.
    • New icon, slightly less ugly I hope.
    ljjYaeB.jpg

Thanks to the guidance of the brilliant @RichmondoUK who pointed me in the right direction, I finally managed to fix multitasking!
    Yes, in version 1.5 of the module which should now be propagating to your Xposed Installers, the 'recent apps' button is fully functional once more!

Please make sure you have the checkbox 'Enable Multitasking' checked in the settings interface, because it might have been unchecked by default in previous versions.

Also, obviously, restart your device after installing. It's crucial :eek:

I don't have much time these days, so I couldn't get into the start/kill toggle yet - but now that multitasking is working it's next on my list.
    As for changing the interface, well - I started playing with it but didn't get any good results yet. I'll keep trying as soon as my schedule clears up.
    Cheers everyone, drive safely!