Sony Walkman App Hi-Res internal + USB DAC playback

Search This thread

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
Just wanted to share my experience with the USB DAC output option.

I have an HRT Microstreamer DAC that has a headphone out and a line out. Works flawlessly with my Note 3. Most of my music collection is FLAC (16/44, 24/88, 24/96, 24/176, etc.).

With the Z2 Walkman app, if USB DAC output is on, currently 24/88 & 24/96 playback is glitchy - mostly I'm getting white noise. BUT, if I use USB Audio Player, all the music plays properly and there's no downsampling.

Anyone else with a different DAC have any issues playing hi res FLAC?

From the internal player perspective, it looks like the Z2's Walkman app doesn't support hi res audio files past 24/96 and it's probably downsampling all of them (unless someone knows otherwise). So that kinda sucks considering the Note 3 supports hi res without downsampling.

Techpenguin5

Dec 26, 2013
colombo

I have an HRT Microstreamer DAC that has a headphone out and a line out. Works flawlessly with my Note 3. Most of my music collection is FLAC (16/44, 24/88, 24/96, 24/176, etc.).

With the Z2 Walkman app, if USB DAC output is on, currently 24/88 & 24/96 playback is glitchy - mostly I'm getting white noise. BUT, if I use USB Audio Player, all the music plays properly and there's no downsampling.

From the internal player perspective, it looks like the Z2's Walkman app doesn't support hi res audio files past 24/96 and it's probably downsampling all of them (unless someone knows otherwise). So that kinda sucks considering the Note 3 supports hi res without downsampling.

This is an issue with walkman it does downsample audio and can sometimes ruin FLAC Playback this is a futher issue with some Dac's like your mentioning. Now i dont have a Z2 i had a Z just 5 days ago and if they are anything similar try this https://mega.co.nz/#!1NNzHbab!zQMsyz...5Oe2_M5iWwDJmU just install as normal apk also are you rooted and running a custom rom?

Reactions: prazvt

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
Works great with FiiO E18... Try Poweramp for music player...

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

I'm pretty sure Poweramp downsamples anything higher than 16/44 or 16/48, like most other music players; it'll play them, but they'll get downsampled on output. If you're playing any high resolution music via your DAC, I'd suggest USB Audio Player Pro; interface isn't as nice as Poweramp, but it bypasses Android's audio engine. So what you put in, you'll get out.

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
This is an issue with walkman it does downsample audio and can sometimes ruin FLAC Playback this is a futher issue with some Dac's like your mentioning. Now i dont have a Z2 i had a Z just 5 days ago and if they are anything similar try this https://mega.co.nz/#!1NNzHbab!zQMsyz...5Oe2_M5iWwDJmU just install as normal apk also are you rooted and running a custom rom?

Hey Techpenguin - I'm rooted w/ the stock .55 ROM and Doomlord's kernel v05. What's the apk? It's asking for a key, so I can't download it.

Techpenguin5

Dec 26, 2013
colombo
Reactions: prazvt

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area

Techpenguin5

Dec 26, 2013
colombo
Thanks Techpenguin5! So what exactly did you fix in this version? Just want to know what changes to look for before installing.

well i have made a couple of changes to be compatible with my port http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2739612 which i recommend you flash when the Z2 gets AOSP. ;) so some audio compatibility changes were made bu without the custom libs with my zip i dont hav musch faith in it working but its always worth a shot. WHATEVER YOU DO DONT FLASH THE PORT OVER A STOCK SONY ROM, IT CAN HAVE SOME VERY NEGATIVE EFFECTS!!!!!

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
well i have made a couple of changes to be compatible with my port http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2739612 which i recommend you flash when the Z2 gets AOSP. ;) so some audio compatibility changes were made bu without the custom libs with my zip i dont hav musch faith in it working but its always worth a shot. WHATEVER YOU DO DONT FLASH THE PORT OVER A STOCK SONY ROM, IT CAN HAVE SOME VERY NEGATIVE EFFECTS!!!!!

lol, thanks for the warning :) I'll keep an eye on your thread, so I can try it out once we have an AOSP rom for the Z2.

nrbatista

Feb 21, 2006
I confirm that the Z2 works flawlessly with the Fiio X3 USB DAC even for 192/24 audio files. There is no downsampling as the X3 is presenting the sample rate of the music's I'm playing. I had the Hi-res audio turned on.

V4LKyR

Jun 6, 2014
I confirm that the Z2 works flawlessly with the Fiio X3 USB DAC even for 192/24 audio files. There is no downsampling as the X3 is presenting the sample rate of the music's I'm playing. I had the Hi-res audio turned on.

I just noticed that you joined this site in 2006 and this is your first post.

Wow! :eek:

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
Speaking of audio has anyone found a way to increase the normal (not usb) output to hi-res ?

I have not as of yet. In fact I'm having some trouble with USB output w/ the current firmware. Whether Hi Res USB Output option is checked or not, I'm getting pops and crackles on playback. Though mostly it's with Pandora or Beats Music. Not sure what's causing it. Does the same thing with my Microstreamer and my FiiO x5 (in DAC mode).

Running .314 firmware. Anyone else have issues?

ramordep

Sep 19, 2011
Interestingly Fiio E10 works on Z2 but you have to charge it using magnetic charger as it consumes a lot of battery

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area

Are you rooted and / or did you unlock your bootloader? Trying to determine why mine isn't working right. I did a fresh firmware install of 0.314 and same thing.

nrbatista

Feb 21, 2006
Are you rooted and / or did you unlock your bootloader? Trying to determine why mine isn't working right. I did a fresh firmware install of 0.314 and same thing.

Hello, my Z2 is not rooted and I didn't unlock the bootloader either. The only thing I did was to turn on the Hi-res Audio via USB option in the sound settings. If you have this set, I don't really know what could be wrong unfortunately.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

Hello, my Z2 is not rooted and I didn't unlock the bootloader either. The only thing I did was to turn on the Hi-res Audio via USB option in the sound settings. If you have this set, I don't really know what could be wrong unfortunately.

BTW, my X3 is running v3.

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

BTW, my X3 is running v3.

Okay good to know - thx nrbatista.

zhuhang

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 3, 2011
Petaling Jaya
www.facebook.com
Is there supposed to be any notification or pop-up when I connect a USB DAC to my Z2?
Because I ticked the Hi-Res USB output in walkman, but when I connect my Sound Blaster E5, I'm not sure if walkman is playing hi-res or not.
I tried toggle the Hi-Res option while music is playing but no difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey Techpenguin - I'm rooted w/ the stock .55 ROM and Doomlord's kernel v05. What's the apk? It's asking for a key, so I can't download it.

Ahh sorry for that i forgot to include the key

https://mega.co.nz/#!1NNzHbab!zQMsyz_wR4NPDChTlB8Z6wxOo2c115Oe2_M5iWwDJmU

its my modified apk it as a few changes that might help fix he issue but since the z2 is such a new device i cannot be too sure