WARNING: Do not rename the phone or Telephony apk!!!!

Search This thread

ithink2020

Apr 22, 2011
WARNING: if you have renamed or deleted the phone and telephony apks, renamed them back or restore them. It appears doing a soft reset while these are missing, will BRICK your A500!!!

dc13

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
what do u mean soft reset. are you talking about factory reset.

Sent with my Acer A500 Ti-X RC1

dc13

Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
we rnt bricked any more we have a update.zip from acer so if needed just use that to fix the brick u shouldnt need to for a factory reset anyway. what was the reason if it was to clear the dalvic cache u can just delete all the files in the data/dalvic cache foler

shark147

Feb 13, 2008
Hi, after root my A500, i delete apk phone and telephony, and my acer work correctly...

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

dc13

Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
what i took from this is if u doe a factory reset it will brick.

nycbjr

Oct 10, 2006
New York
be careful that update.zip provided to me removed the market app, and put some markethd thing (japanese I assume), and now I can't seem to figure out how to get the market back haha..

assumng a factory reset might be a bad idea..

dcro95

Nov 17, 2007
I delete the file phone.apk ...

Who could send me the file or put it somewhere ??

Thanks

chr0m

Apr 27, 2011
So we are ok to rename Phone.apk as long as we don't do a factory reset?
I was enjoying the extra battery life by not having that stupid Cell Standby running. Why on earth Acer would leave that there on a non-3G device is beyond me.

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com
So we are ok to rename Phone.apk as long as we don't do a factory reset?
I was enjoying the extra battery life by not having that stupid Cell Standby running. Why on earth Acer would leave that there on a non-3G device is beyond me.

i suspect that the extra battery life is a placebo effect. I doubt that the Wifi version would have a 3G radio chip built in and even if it does it's probably not activated. The 'phone.apk' service is probably just idling and not consuming any real battery despite what the system info says. Only way is to do a proper benchmark test to check it.

ryanb0225

Apr 30, 2011
What about disabling these .apk files? Do you think it will give the same features as if we deleted them?

dc13

Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
im going to work on somethings to make this thing work with out deleting or freezing give me a bit

jrac86

Feb 23, 2009
After doing a factory reset, it boots to the start screen. However you cannot get passed it. The start button does nothing. I think it is trying to find these apks that were renamed or deleted.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

dc13

Dec 12, 2007
Boise, ID
i dont get y people r doing a reset but its what ever people were warned

hellcat82

May 11, 2010
Melbourne
i dont get y people r doing a reset but its what ever people were warned

Yeah it's not something I would likely do unless I was intending to sell the device, in which case I'd probably manually restore it to stock before running a factory reset. In my experience factory resets generally play havok on "tweaked" devices.

I guess a warning is a warning!

bhageman

Aug 16, 2010
Yesterday, my battery was dead after a full day of moderate use (which is perfectly acceptable). Today, after renaming the two files, I still have half my battery left after 12 hours. Doesn't feel like placebo to me. YMMV...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: if you have renamed or deleted the phone and telephony apks, renamed them back or restore them. It appears doing a soft reset while these are missing, will BRICK your A500!!!
    Why pay for an app that just does the following...

Disable Phone & Telephony:
    Code:
    su
    pm disable com.android.providers.telephony
    pm disable com.android.phone
    rm /data/system/batterystats.bin

Enable Phone & Telephony:
    Code:
    su
    pm enable com.android.providers.telephony
    pm enable com.android.phone
    Honestly, this entire thread needs to be refined. You cannot just assume that renaming phone or telephony have done this to your device. I find it hard to believe that this renaming was simply the only thing you have done with root access. Perhaps something else was involved?

Maybe so, but after bringing this up in another thread (in which I described the most recent things that I had done...which is also now missing for some reason), there were a couple others that confirmed that it happened to them as well. After it was confirmed to happen by more than just myself, I decided to start this thread to warn users.
    Alright, I keep reading and no one seems to be helping...

FOR THOSE THAT NEED THEM, ATTACHED ARE THE PHONE.APK AND TELEPHONY.APK

I extracted them directly from my ACER A500 ICONIA TAB so I know they are legit files...

I dont know for those of you that are stuck at the START screen if you can still use ADB to push the files but... here they are none-the-less... :D jejeje
    There is an app in the market that will disable the phone standby feature. Its great and really adds life to the battery. App is called "acer iconia battery saver." pretty straight forward isnt it?

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App