[Q] Disable OTA updates possible?

Search This thread

buggerlugz

Jul 23, 2014
I am trying and getting absolutely nowhere disabling the OTA update nag screen. Even though my phone is rooted I can not disable the OTA update service nor rename the otacerts.zip file (as it still says access is denied.)

Motorola is refusing to help me aswell.

Surely there is a way of doing this?

Any help would be much appriciated.

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
I disabled the OTA and a whole bunch of other services using Greenify. There is a thread in this forum, with a comprehensive list of services that can be disabled (far more than I disabled). I also disabled some apps from multi tasking. I typically get 3 days of moderate usage. So its a win win situation.

buggerlugz

Jul 23, 2014
I disabled the OTA and a whole bunch of other services using Greenify. There is a thread in this forum, with a comprehensive list of services that can be disabled (far more than I disabled). I also disabled some apps from multi tasking. I typically get 3 days of moderate usage. So its a win win situation.

I understand to do this I have to install the xposed framework? Something that does worry me after seeing the dreaded boot loop recently.

I am under the impression from some thread in here, renaming otacerts.zip in the system folder to otacerts.bak can disable the function, but likewise I am a bit worried about bricking my phone. Motorola have informed me that updates are mandatory now and they will not tell me how to disable OTA updates.

The lack of working apps for things like this is also putting me off playing around too.

Broken_motoG

Jul 28, 2014
I got rid of the nag screen by disabling an app called "motorolaOTA" and erasing the cache in recovery to delete the OTA file. I really wouldn't recommend upgrading to 4.4.4 as I eventually did anyway about a week after disabling the nag screen (wanted to test it out lol) and in the process hard bricked my phone.

So, disable "motorolaOTA" and whatever you do DO NOT upgrade! ;)

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
Can u tell me the apps that i can disable to save battery life.

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Free mobile app

Sorry, I dont have access to the phone right now so cannot list the services. But I think I fed some miss-information, I now realize that I used Titanium backup to freeze the unwanted apps. This being all Motorola services. I then used Greenify on my messaging apps, like Facebook, Whatsapp and others.

But I do agree with another comment in this thread that rooting does mess up the upgrade process, it becomes a real pain! So its worth considering to not do it. Like others I have not upgraded to 4.4.4

justanicename

Feb 17, 2014
Sorry, I dont have access to the phone right now so cannot list the services. But I think I fed some miss-information, I now realize that I used Titanium backup to freeze the unwanted apps. This being all Motorola services. I then used Greenify on my messaging apps, like Facebook, Whatsapp and others.

But I do agree with another comment in this thread that rooting does mess up the upgrade process, it becomes a real pain! So its worth considering to not do it. Like others I have not upgraded to 4.4.4

This helped me with the upgrade (Phone is unlocked, rooted and had xposed modules on it before the upgrade)
For me to succesfully update the OTA i had to do follow the steps in the OP of this Post. I tried a lot of flashing, but in the end only this worked:

http://xdaforums.com/moto-g/general/ota-file-indian-dual-sim-4-4-4-t2810166
Just follow the steps below the text:
REVERT TO STOCK WITHOUT LOSING DATA OR ANYTHING ELSE

After this, you have to root it again with superboot. It's worth the effort to have 4.4.4. The phone feels more responsive for me.

Last edited:

buggerlugz

Jul 23, 2014
Problem Solved!

I installed "System app remover (ROOT) by Jumobile". Its a free app in the google play store. This allowed me to uninstall Motorola OTA service.

The upgrade nag screen has yet to re-appear, and my phone is otherwise functioning perfectly.

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
Well done! I had never heard of this app, it looks neat. I use Titanium primarily for backups, the ability to freeze apps is just a nice bonus. I wonder if Titanium and "System app remover" work using the same method? With Titanium its easy to restore a frozen app. I read that "System app remover" puts removed apps in the recycle bin. I'm wondering what the chances are of this storage getting erased by accident, making it harder to restore?