Android 4.4.2 Camera Improvements

Search This thread

gino_76ph

May 25, 2011
London
Hi There.

I am thinking of buying a SIM-free Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. I currently reside in the UK and the last update i saw for the S4 (my wife had one until she sold it to a friend) was 4.2.2.

Now, I heard Android 4.2.2 is now live and available to (almost) everyone in the UK.

But, what i want to ask is about the camera. As someone who owned and have actually tried i can say that the S4 camera app itself is slower than the one on the S3 and the iPhone 5. I'm talking about opening/starting up the app and the shutter lag (i.e. pressing the camera shutter button and in-between shots).

Is there any mention on camera enhancements on the Android 4.4.2 for the galaxy S4?

Please advice. Thanks.

cdnml

May 20, 2012
Hi There.

I am thinking of buying a SIM-free Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. I currently reside in the UK and the last update i saw for the S4 (my wife had one until she sold it to a friend) was 4.2.2.

Now, I heard Android 4.2.2 is now live and available to (almost) everyone in the UK.

But, what i want to ask is about the camera. As someone who owned and have actually tried i can say that the S4 camera app itself is slower than the one on the S3 and the iPhone 5. I'm talking about opening/starting up the app and the shutter lag (i.e. pressing the camera shutter button and in-between shots).

Is there any mention on camera enhancements on the Android 4.4.2 for the galaxy S4?

Please advice. Thanks.

I just tried a test where my device will be inside the pocket and I have to take it out and take a pic.

My first shot took me exactly like 5.5 seconds starting from taking the device from pocket to firing up the first shot.In the next 4 seconds I was able to take
around 5-7 shots.

So basically , I was able to get around 7 shots within 10 seconds time frame.

In second test , I tried burst mode.It took me 7 seconds to start burst mode.By the end of 9th second , I got 30 shots.

Reactions: gino_76ph

gino_76ph

May 25, 2011
London
I just tried a test where my device will be inside the pocket and I have to take it out and take a pic.

My first shot took me exactly like 5.5 seconds starting from taking the device from pocket to firing up the first shot.In the next 4 seconds I was able to take
around 5-7 shots.

In second test , I tried burst mode.It took me 7 seconds to start burst mode.By the end of 9th second , I got 30 shots.

Does doesn't tell me anything i'm afraid. My main question is did the Android 4.4.2 actually improved the speed of the camera of the galaxy S4?

cdnml

May 20, 2012
Does doesn't tell me anything i'm afraid. My main question is did the Android 4.4.2 actually improved the speed of the camera of the galaxy S4?

Everything is same as 4.3.The speed of shots , camera launch time etc.

If you want to compare against 4.2 , only improvement is camera launch time which is reduced from 6-7 seconds to 3 seconds.

Last edited:

Honchay

Mar 1, 2012
Barcelona
Hi There.

Please advice. Thanks.

Well, think twice before you get it if you care on camera, the S4 its a good phone overall but... look at my POST

gino_76ph

May 25, 2011
London
I've seen your post and it does confirm what i'm fearing that...the camera is slow to start and shutter lag is awfully slow.

So, why Samsung came up with the 4.4.2 update for the S4 with only "incremental" improvements in the first place?

Camera issues like slowness and sluggishness especially the shutter lag leaves me wondering why it wasn't updated.

If i'm too worried about camera startup and zero shutter lag what Android phone should i be looking at?

Last edited:

cdnml

May 20, 2012
I've seen your post and it does confirm what i'm fearing that...the camera is slow to start and shutter lag is awfully slow.

So, why Samsung came up with the 4.4.2 update for the S4 with only "incremental" improvements in the first place?

Camera issues like slowness and sluggishness especially the shutter lag leaves me wondering why it wasn't updated.

If i'm too worried about camera startup and zero shutter lag what Android phone should i be looking at?

Once refer to this review :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMb-jXlkNwY

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi There.

Please advice. Thanks.

around 5-7 shots.

No. This improvement will be added in the New Samsung Galaxy S5.

Everything is same as 4.3.The speed of shots , camera launch time etc.

If you want to compare against 4.2 , only improvement is camera launch time which is reduced from 6-7 seconds to 3 seconds.

Once refer to this review :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMb-jXlkNwY