Power Surge?

Search This thread

galaxyman635

Apr 5, 2013
I was on a family vacation at a cottage, I plugged my phone in to charge before retiring for the night. I woke up the next morning and my phone displayed that the battery was dead. I tried to turn it on, and it said the battery was full. It would turn on to the lock screen, and then immediately crash. I put my battery into another GS3, and it worked fine. I took that battery and tried it in mine with no luck. I was able to nandroid back to another ND8. It still didn't work. I flashed CNexus's ND8 clean and the same thing happened again. When I boot into recovery, as soon as I pull the charging cable out, it immediately dies. I think my phone may have been destroyed by a power surge. I really have no explanation. I'm about to try Odin, however i'm not very hopeful. I guess it's time to move on to a One Plus One. Any ideas on what I could do? Or what may have happened?

Edit: Sounds like a bad IC chip. A known problem with the GS3.
Edit2: The ODIN bricked it. It just vibrates now.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Before totally giving up on the phone, try leaving the battery out for a half hour or more, overnight is even better. I know it sounds crazy, and don't hold your breath, but it's helped me and some others in the past.

Then when you put the battery back in, very first thing try to go to download mode. If it works, try ODINing the ND8 stock tar again.

I would go ahead and Odin Philz Recovery, too, and if your first boot of 4.4.2 hangs at the Samsung logo, pull battery, boot recovery and do a factory reset (wipe data, cache and Dalvik).

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

galaxyman635

Apr 5, 2013
Before totally giving up on the phone, try leaving the battery out for a half hour or more, overnight is even better. I know it sounds crazy, and don't hold your breath, but it's helped me and some others in the past.

Then when you put the battery back in, very first thing try to go to download mode. If it works, try ODINing the ND8 stock tar again.

I would go ahead and Odin Philz Recovery, too, and if your first boot of 4.4.2 hangs at the Samsung logo, pull battery, boot recovery and do a factory reset (wipe data, cache and Dalvik).

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

I will try it again. If I can't get it to work, any ideas on how to get Samsung to replace my phone? All I need is a refurb.

Edit: The battery pull got it to boot. But it still immediately crashes and then says the battery is dead.
Edit2: I called Samsung and spoke to the supervisor. They said they could repair it for $70+. That's ridiculous. Never would I have ever thought I would need to buy a second phone in my two year contract period.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I will try it again. If I can't get it to work, any ideas on how to get Samsung to replace my phone? All I need is a refurb.

If they can get it to stay in Download mode long enough to see that the Knox (warranty) counter is tripped by having the charging cable plugged in while doing so, then no, I have no idea how to get Samsung or anyone to replace it. Word from a couple people is that they got lucky and that Samsung ignored the status of their phone, but it just might've been that - luck. I wouldn't expect to be that lucky. One XDA member had luck at a local Sprint store who fixed his phone without hassling him about being rooted or having tripped the warranty counter - but it was a different issue at least. They had to replace the microUSB port, if I recall correctly.

I'm paying for coverage through Best Buy/Geek Squad, and I hear that they'll fix phones no matter what. I don't know if there's any way they could help you without you having paid for coverage but it might be worth a last ditch effort if it comes to that. I'd try that route before bothering to try through Samsung.

Good luck! I hope you update us with what happens, too.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Edit: The battery pull got it to boot. But it still immediately crashes and then says the battery is dead.

In that case I would try Best Buy/Geek Squad, a local friendly Sprint store and then Samsung, in that order.

Reactions: galaxyman635

galaxyman635

Apr 5, 2013
If they can get it to stay in Download mode long enough to see that the Knox (warranty) counter is tripped by having the charging cable plugged in while doing so, then no, I have no idea how to get Samsung or anyone to replace it. Word from a couple people is that they got lucky and that Samsung ignored the status of their phone, but it just might've been that - luck. I wouldn't expect to be that lucky. One XDA member had luck at a local Sprint store who fixed his phone without hassling him about being rooted or having tripped the warranty counter - but it was a different issue at least. They had to replace the microUSB port, if I recall correctly.

I'm paying for coverage through Best Buy/Geek Squad, and I hear that they'll fix phones no matter what. I don't know if there's any way they could help you without you having paid for coverage but it might be worth a last ditch effort if it comes to that. I'd try that route before bothering to try through Samsung.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

In that case I would try Best Buy/Geek Squad, a local friendly Sprint store and then Samsung, in that order.

I just got off the phone with Sprint. They offered to exchange my S3 for $75. I'm debating whether to do it. My contract is up, but I have other lines that aren't yet. They have a few months more. I don't want to sign a new contract because I plan to leave Sprint.

Edit: You don't think Sprint will deny me the exchange because of my Warranty bit 1 right?

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I just got off the phone with Sprint. They offered to exchange my S3 for $75. I'm debating whether to do it. My contract is up, but I have other lines that aren't yet. They have a few months more. I don't want to sign a new contract because I plan to leave Sprint.

Edit: You don't think Sprint will deny me the exchange because of my Warranty bit 1 right?

Probably not. Do you have insurance through them? Because a few people were saying just today that no matter who they've had insurance through, Sprint, Best Buy, Assurian, they always fixed their phone even with Knox tripped.

The only time they were rejected was when dealing with Samsung directly

Note that this is open enrollment month for Sprint's insurance.

galaxyman635

Apr 5, 2013
Probably not. Do you have insurance through them? Because a few people were saying just today that no matter who they've had insurance through, Sprint, Best Buy, Assurian, they always fixed their phone even with Knox tripped.

I'm getting my replacement phone in two days. I went to my local Sprint store and they ordered me a replacement for a $75 fee.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm getting my replacement phone in two days. I went to my local Sprint store and they ordered me a replacement for a $75 fee.
    Nope. Without resigning.

That's cool :cool:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2