[Q] Unable to ADB Remount XOOM...!!

Search This thread

lokko21

Jun 4, 2010
Chihuahua
Hi..!! Everyone I tried everything, I was going to unlock and root my xoom but I got stuck at this step:

7. fastboot flash boot rootboot.img

I get this error: "can't load rootboot.img"

I run fastboot reboot command and works, after reboots I try adb devices and my xoom shows but if I run adb remount I get this error:

"remount failed: Operation no permitted"

I tried everything search everywhere, update everything and NADA, I'm on a Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks and I hope somebody can direct me to the right path..

StrifeSoldierVII

Mar 3, 2011
You will want to grant root access again using the adb commands. This happened to me once. You don't have permission to do this because it needs to have root access to carry on this operation. Try the root commands again to grant root access and then see what it does when trying to flash the rootboot files.

If that's not it come let us know. XDA will have your answer for sure.

Sent from my Droid using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
Reactions: lokko21

lokko21

Jun 4, 2010
Chihuahua
You will want to grant root access again using the adb commands. This happened to me once. You don't have permission to do this because it needs to have root access to carry on this operation. Try the root commands again to grant root access and then see what it does when trying to flash the rootboot files.

I get stuck on step 7 of this guide below, so I think I never get to the point of getting root, but if I'm doing something wrong and I have to run some other commands please let me know.

1. Download the Motorola Xoom Root Zip file and unzip it. Download
2. Place the files in the SDK Tools folder.
3. adb reboot bootloader (You can skip the next 3 steps if you’ve unlocked with fastboot previously)
5. fastboot oem unlock (wait for reboot)
6. adb reboot bootloader
7. fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
7. fastboot reboot (wait for reboot)
8. adb remount
9. adb shell push su /system/bin
10. adb shell ln –s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
11. adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
12. adb push Superuser.apk /system/app

And thanks for making some time to reply, I try to get some help on other threads with no response.

Last edited:

c0t0d0s2

Jul 22, 2009
DFW
dumb question: is rootboot.img in the same directory as everything else?

It sounds to me like your flashboot can't find it.

StrifeSoldierVII

Mar 3, 2011
That's a good point from the poster above. I had trouble at the start with this and the SDK tools folder because I never messed with the adb shell too often because there never really has been a need for me to do so up until I got the Xoom.

OP... like this reply says above me, I am agreeing to as well. It looks like it might not be finding your rootboot. Make sure all root files are located in the very root of the SDK tools folder, and make sure all root files are not inside a folder. If they are please drag them into the tools folder and slap them all in there. It looks like a mess but it works. Do the same type of thing if you plan on flashing an overclock kernel. Always make sure that all files are NOT in folders when flashing something like this, and that they are always placed in the very root of the tools folder located within the SDK folder. Hope this helps. :)

About my above post... woops. ;) I wasn't paying attention totally. It was late. I was thinking about when you are trying to install an overclock kernel and run into this problem that says that you cannot remount in adb. It does have to do with root access though.

Last edited:

lokko21

Jun 4, 2010
Chihuahua
Thank you very much guys I found what was my problem, I was running ADB straight from CMD window without navigating to my tool folder and always worked so I thought running step 7 will work, but NO I had to cd c:.....bla bla navigate to tool folder and do step 7.

Now I'm happily Rooted thanks again for your time guys, now to set up again my beautiful screens.

jawonder

Nov 29, 2010
Boynton Beach, FL
I'm having that problem where i'm trying to flash Tiamat Kernel on my Xoom and when i get to the remount i'm getting - remount failed: Operation not permitted . When you say grant root access again you talking about pointing it to the platform folder ?.

jase33

Jul 29, 2010
- /
It sounds like those having problems are not very familiar with adb. Don't worry, we have all been there at one point. I would suggest that you use the one click method. No its not really a one click, more like a one click at a time method. But, it goes slow and you can see what it is doing as it goes along and has a nice tutorial from the op.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA Premium App

jawonder

Nov 29, 2010
Boynton Beach, FL
It sounds like those having problems are not very familiar with adb. Don't worry, we have all been there at one point. I would suggest that you use the one click method. No its not really a one click, more like a one click at a time method. But, it goes slow and you can see what it is doing as it goes along and has a nice tutorial from the op.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA Premium App

No i'm not so good at it but i'm willing to or i want to learn . I used it for the first time when my Xoom was soft brick from installing a theme , i restored it with ADB and then use ADB to root ,so that's twice , the first time i rooted my Xoom i used the one click method because i was so afraid of ADB . Today the third time i was using it to flash a Kernel and at the remount i got into the problem above .

lokko21

Jun 4, 2010
Chihuahua
No i'm not so good at it but i'm willing to or i want to learn . I used it for the first time when my Xoom was soft brick from installing a theme , i restored it with ADB and then use ADB to root ,so that's twice , the first time i rooted my Xoom i used the one click method because i was so afraid of ADB . Today the third time i was using it to flash a Kernel and at the remount i got into the problem above .

Are you trying to push something thru a ADB...???

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

dumb question: is rootboot.img in the same directory as everything else?

It sounds to me like your flashboot can't find it.
    That's a good point from the poster above. I had trouble at the start with this and the SDK tools folder because I never messed with the adb shell too often because there never really has been a need for me to do so up until I got the Xoom.

OP... like this reply says above me, I am agreeing to as well. It looks like it might not be finding your rootboot. Make sure all root files are located in the very root of the SDK tools folder, and make sure all root files are not inside a folder. If they are please drag them into the tools folder and slap them all in there. It looks like a mess but it works. Do the same type of thing if you plan on flashing an overclock kernel. Always make sure that all files are NOT in folders when flashing something like this, and that they are always placed in the very root of the tools folder located within the SDK folder. Hope this helps. :)

About my above post... woops. ;) I wasn't paying attention totally. It was late. I was thinking about when you are trying to install an overclock kernel and run into this problem that says that you cannot remount in adb. It does have to do with root access though.