[Q] fm radio

Search This thread

socos25

Nov 8, 2010
Earth
There is a radio app out for the i9000, but I've never been able to get it to work on my Epic. Would be cool though.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

jarcher12

Jul 30, 2011
i think it has to be turned on in the firmware. Was just wondering if it had been done in GB.

jarcher12

Jul 30, 2011
i tried googling it and there seems to be a lot of people saying it has been turned on but i see no evidence of it.

socos25

Nov 8, 2010
Earth
When the first GB release came out for the Epic there was a lot of talk about the radio chip, but I haven't seen anything since.

AproSamurai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
Van Nuys, CA
github.com
The radio chip was used with our headphones as an antenna for the signal. It wasn't practical however due to the need for the headphones. I myself don't truly think we've a radio antenna within our phones beyond that hack of sorts but I can be wrong nonetheless.

Sent from my Epic 4G

jered6323

Jul 25, 2011
It's probably there, just disabled still. Most companies just use a combination chip that has WiFi, Bluetooth, and FM transmit/receive all in one. The other Galaxy S variants have it, the Epic Touch 4g has it, even iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches have it.

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
The radio chip was used with our headphones as an antenna for the signal. It wasn't practical however due to the need for the headphones. I myself don't truly think we've a radio antenna within our phones beyond that hack of sorts but I can be wrong nonetheless.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Actually this its how most phones handle the fm antenna, by design.

FrankyFiggz27

Apr 17, 2011
Vatican City
nothing worth listening to on fm radio anyway lol. Plus TuneIn should take care of any radio needs, tho maybe it uses more battery than an fm receiver...

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
But if the chip/part of a chip is in there then it should be turned on. And if nothing less they should compile the driver and release it

Sent from the Drivers Seat of my Suby txting and Driving doing 100MPH+ in a school zone! Ha.

jered6323

Jul 25, 2011
But if the chip/part of a chip is in there then it should be turned on.

If only it were that easy. It's been used in the iPod Touch from 2nd generation on, and from the original iPhone on. The iDevice community was enormous for years before Android became popular, and none of those devs could crack through and turn FM on. It would be nice if it were enabled, I've wished it for a long time, but sadly I don't think it can be enabled by anyone except the manufacturer.

socos25

Nov 8, 2010
Earth
My thoughts was someone didn't want to spend the money to get a license from the fcc?

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
If only it were that easy. It's been used in the iPod Touch from 2nd generation on, and from the original iPhone on. The iDevice community was enormous for years before Android became popular, and none of those devs could crack through and turn FM on. It would be nice if it were enabled, I've wished it for a long time, but sadly I don't think it can be enabled by anyone except the manufacturer.

Yes the oem samsuck should turn the dam thing On we paid for it. Right its in my hand

Sent from the Drivers Seat of my Suby txting and Driving doing 100MPH+ in a school zone! Ha.

Looneyrat

Nov 17, 2011
This been dug deeply in by many trolls in here. conclusion was that we aok have suspicions that the part of the chip that controls the fm radial has been laxer etched off.