[Q] Need help with ROM flashing

Search This thread

Fabio_HD

Jan 13, 2014
Hey all, I need to know what am I doing wrong.

I have flashed OMNI and CM, and I'm getting the same issue with both.
My phone stops working and I have to hold power button to shut down. This happens many times a day with no apparent reason, on the most different scenarios. I want to know if this happens because they're nightly builds, and thus unstable (everyone should have issues) or if I'm doing something wrong.

To flash, this is what I did:

-Installed latest CWM Recovery from ROM Manager (Play Store) with superuser access;
-Download zips (nightly build + gapps) on computer and transfer them to phone;
-Boot into recovery mode;
-Wipe data/factory reset;
-Flash ROM, and then GApps;
-Reboot.

I appreciate the help in advance!

Hamza18

Jan 13, 2014
Dubai
www.mediaart-me.com
Hey all, I need to know what am I doing wrong.

I have flashed OMNI and CM, and I'm getting the same issue with both.
My phone stops working and I have to hold power button to shut down. This happens many times a day with no apparent reason, on the most different scenarios. I want to know if this happens because they're nightly builds, and thus unstable (everyone should have issues) or if I'm doing something wrong.

To flash, this is what I did:

-Installed latest CWM Recovery from ROM Manager (Play Store) with superuser access;
-Download zips (nightly build + gapps) on computer and transfer them to phone;
-Boot into recovery mode;
-Wipe data/factory reset;
-Flash ROM, and then GApps;
-Reboot.

I appreciate the help in advance!

You should be using a cleaning script or doing it manually. For the script, have a look at this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1832326

And yes, those are nightlies. Mostly they do not create problems but often, they do. Hence, if you want to use your phone other than for testing purposes, I suggest stick to the stable ROMs :)

Fabio_HD

Jan 13, 2014
You should be using a cleaning script or doing it manually. For the script, have a look at this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1832326

And yes, those are nightlies. Mostly they do not create problems but often, they do. Hence, if you want to use your phone other than for testing purposes, I suggest stick to the stable ROMs :)

Ok, clearly the reason for the problems isn't the nightlies, because I flashed the latest stable CM ROM (10.2), and I'm still getting random freezes. Guess the only reason is the cleaning script, as you said.

Only problem is, I don't have an external SD, so my internal SD can't be erased, or I won't be able to flash anything.
Which of the scripts should I use?

Hamza18

Jan 13, 2014
Dubai
www.mediaart-me.com
Ok, clearly the reason for the problems isn't the nightlies, because I flashed the latest stable CM ROM (10.2), and I'm still getting random freezes. Guess the only reason is the cleaning script, as you said.

Only problem is, I don't have an external SD, so my internal SD can't be erased, or I won't be able to flash anything.
Which of the scripts should I use?

It is not a good idea to be flashing new ROMs without an external SD card. I usually wipe everything before flashing. However, try the SimpleWipe and see if that makes a difference.

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android
Totally agree with Hamza18 you should not really be flashing roms without a external sd card it comes in handy for storing backups/roms etc if problems arise while flashing.Although you can of course flash without a external card I would not recommend it as you are limiting your options if anything goes wrong.

I personally use Philz recovery which as a setting for wiping phone probably ready to install new rom,but I would be careful if you don't have a external card...:)

Fabio_HD

Jan 13, 2014
OK, thanks for the advice, I'll now use an external SD when flashing.

As for the freezing issue, I didn't use the methods mentioned, all I did was run Dummy File Generator a couple of times, and my device didn't freeze today yet, which is a big improvement!