[Mod] Made speaker grills black

Search This thread

reeco

Nov 20, 2009
Swansea, Wales
So................

Here is the story:

I dented the back of my HTC One and literally could not believe it. I had only had it for a week and im so careful with my phones.

So I tired a few ways to remove the dent without taking the phone apart. Like heating the dent up and then putting something cold on it. This helped a little bit however I could still see this dent starring at me. So I took drastic measures.

I tried to take the phone apart. This didn't work to well and I ended up scratching up the speaker grills in the process.

So now my beautiful new One has a dent in the back and scratches on the grills on the front. I felt like crying.

I decided to take the hard decision to try and cover these scratches up and decided to spray paint the grills matte black.

This is how it turned out:

LDQaeOG.jpg

9fPd8ao.jpg

RPXEICA.jpg

PMqdttT.jpg

Looks quite stealthy however I feel it could be better so I'm going to try and see if I can get some dark glass cut in the same shape and replace the grills.

Still have my dent, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

reeco

Nov 20, 2009
Swansea, Wales
Hot heat and dry ice may pull the dent back out.

Yea I tried that as mentioned above it worked a little, but it's still visible unfortunately.

I have a slickwrap front and back skin coming so hopefully this will help.

Yea I also did cover up the sensor, but I always use my phone at a constant brightness so no biggie.

I'm hoping some 3rd party grills will show up on ebay soon. Hopefully in black. Because it looks awesome.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: passion4tech

dvsk69

Aug 1, 2012
Is the proximity/light sensor working properly? It seems to have been covered by the paint!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: passion4tech

daddioj

Jul 23, 2011
Poconos
no offense. but the phone is beautiful already. that's pretty ugly :crying: and you painted over the sensor? I would have left the scratches lol. or buffed them out

Reactions: kennypow3rs

Rydah

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
Southern California

TieNN89

Aug 7, 2010
Brisbane, QLD
Does anyone make clear protectors for that area?

It looks like that area is soft and is prone to scratches so a clear protector on that area sounds like a good idea
Especially if you are like me and have a a screen protector and also in a case it leaves those areas exposed

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

You might want to try this icarbon skins

be4aqe2a.jpg

e7esa9uq.jpg

merety5e.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That doesn't look too bad aye

Xerro-Five

Apr 16, 2013
Vancouver
Thanks for posting the pics! I also did this last night - partially because I messed up one of the grille holes while trying to clear them out, and partially because I thought it looked interesting. I went with a matte paint too from Tamiya (model paint). I like the matte texture to prevent smudges and it's working great for that (especially the top one when I put it up to my ear!). Cut a couple of pieces of masking tape to cover the sensor window and camera lens so everything works fine. I only put a couple of coats on so that the grilles still look flat. Turned out pretty decent I think :)
attachment.php

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So................

Here is the story:

I dented the back of my HTC One and literally could not believe it. I had only had it for a week and im so careful with my phones.

So I tired a few ways to remove the dent without taking the phone apart. Like heating the dent up and then putting something cold on it. This helped a little bit however I could still see this dent starring at me. So I took drastic measures.

I tried to take the phone apart. This didn't work to well and I ended up scratching up the speaker grills in the process.

So now my beautiful new One has a dent in the back and scratches on the grills on the front. I felt like crying.

I decided to take the hard decision to try and cover these scratches up and decided to spray paint the grills matte black.

This is how it turned out:

LDQaeOG.jpg

9fPd8ao.jpg

RPXEICA.jpg

PMqdttT.jpg

Looks quite stealthy however I feel it could be better so I'm going to try and see if I can get some dark glass cut in the same shape and replace the grills.

Still have my dent, but I guess I'll have to live with it.
    Hi reeco, plz have a look at slickwraps. They got good skins for speakers also
    Thanks for posting the pics! I also did this last night - partially because I messed up one of the grille holes while trying to clear them out, and partially because I thought it looked interesting. I went with a matte paint too from Tamiya (model paint). I like the matte texture to prevent smudges and it's working great for that (especially the top one when I put it up to my ear!). Cut a couple of pieces of masking tape to cover the sensor window and camera lens so everything works fine. I only put a couple of coats on so that the grilles still look flat. Turned out pretty decent I think :)
    attachment.php
    I do like the black give a very different look

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Whoa, this looks really nice!! Have you seen the m8 eye? The grilles look just like that :p

Haha good point. And thanks! It's a shame there was never a stock black grille option for the normal m8

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app