M7 - Wifi won't turn on

Search This thread

Zanbatou9

Dec 5, 2011
Received a warranty replacement for my HTC One (M7), which is a brand new handset running 4.4.2 and sense 6.0. The wifi on the device will not turn on at all. It just looks like it is continuously trying to start with no way to stop it. My last two of the same phone had hardware issues and I am hoping for an easier fix than sending it away again under the warranty.

So far I have tried:

- Factory reset
- Tried to boot to recovery to clear the caches, but it just goes to a black screen
- Toggling between Airplane mode (as suggested on some forums)
- Tested setting up as a portable hotspot. It goes through the steps and completes, but then just says that the feature is still switched off

Any help would be appreciated. I would rather not flash a custom rom, but am open to the idea if needed. If this is a hardware fault and needs to go away under warranty I would be better to find out now and send it off sooner.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Received a warranty replacement for my HTC One (M7), which is a brand new handset running 4.4.2 and sense 6.0. The wifi on the device will not turn on at all. It just looks like it is continuously trying to start with no way to stop it. My last two of the same phone had hardware issues and I am hoping for an easier fix than sending it away again under the warranty.

So far I have tried:

- Factory reset
- Tried to boot to recovery to clear the caches, but it just goes to a black screen
- Toggling between Airplane mode (as suggested on some forums)
- Tested setting up as a portable hotspot. It goes through the steps and completes, but then just says that the feature is still switched off

Any help would be appreciated. I would rather not flash a custom rom, but am open to the idea if needed. If this is a hardware fault and needs to go away under warranty I would be better to find out now and send it off sooner.

Have you ruled out the possibility of it being your Router ?
have you tried to get wifi in different areas ? If it never connects to wifi anywhere it's most likely a hardware issue. I have never had a wifi issue with dozens of different software configurations. Unlocking the bootloader may void your chance of sending it back

$tefanDroid

Nov 1, 2010
If you dont want to send your phone back, i`d try to make a factory reset first. If that does not solve your problems, s-off your phone, install a custom recovery and flash a custom rom from xda. If that makes no difference try to flash a different firmware (that matches with your phone!!).

I hope that helped. :D
Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask in this thread. :good:

Zanbatou9

Dec 5, 2011
Have you ruled out the possibility of it being your Router ?
have you tried to get wifi in different areas ?

In the house we have multiple tablets, computers, other phones, Chromecast, etc etc. My previous HTC Ones never had any issues with my wireless. The issue remains that the wireless on the device will not turn on at all in order to search for or connect to the WLAN. It just says "Turning on.." indefinitely.

If you dont want to send your phone back, i`d try to make a factory reset first.

Already done - See OP

If that does not solve your problems, s-off your phone, install a custom recovery and flash a custom rom from xda. If that makes no difference try to flash a different firmware (that matches with your phone!!).

I was hoping to avoid installing a custom rom this time around (had the stock M7 Google rom on previously). I may try a new rom just to rule out hardware issues. It's sounding more and more like Im going to have to return the phone...