[Q] Cant Flash The New ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 5.8.4.3

Search This thread

rogsoccerman

Feb 11, 2011
I downloaded it from here ww w.clockworkmod.co m/rommanager/

I got the 5.8.4.3 image for my att note

(sorry I need to post more)

I have put it on my internal sd card and renamed it to recovery then I used my terminal emulator to use the command

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

then it says it cant find it.

What am I missing?

JB calhoun

Mar 12, 2012
Somerset, ky
OnePlus 6T
Moto Z4

I have put it on my internal sd card and renamed it to recovery then I used my terminal emulator to use the command

su

What am I missing?

Use odin.... thats what i done worked perfect!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Reactions: rogsoccerman

rogsoccerman

Feb 11, 2011
Link please I can't find what you are talking about, all I can find is the old version by braway.

Thank you

Sheist!

Oct 7, 2009
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Redmi Note 11

su

What am I missing?

I get the same problem as root in terminal:
flash_image recovery /mnt/sdcard/recovery.img

error scanning partitions: no such file or directory

- ROM Manager won't work; the "flash touch recovery" says "not supported" on this phone. The recovery download also doesn't work; the Galaxy Note is not listed, despite it being on the clockworkmod website!

- ODIN won't work as it needs a tar file or md5, or similar.

- There is no tar file in this thread or anywhere else I can find. If anyone knows exactly where this can be found, that would be helpful!

Basically, if I could find an easy way to "tar" up the recovery.img, it might work with ODIN. This might work, as past tars had only the one file within, but I need a UNIX OS to use the tar command. Drat!

UPDATE: I tarred it in the terminal and will now try ODIN. I hope it works....

UPDATE #2 - yep, it works! :)

Last edited:

bigbuc

Mar 1, 2012
Texas
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S8+
Here's how I installed/upgraded CWM to 5.8.4.3 this is an A in Q&A

I was on the April version of CWM and was fat and happy, then I thought I'd try ICS, and didn't much care for what I was finding, then I read about another one I thought I'd try, but it (apparently) required a newer version of CWM, 5.8.4.3 i think.
So ROM Manager from the play store wouldn't do the upgrade for me, kept giving errors.
I'd used odin to install the april .tar, but this new version comes in an .img file.
I downloaded the .img file and placed it on my phone in sdcard (/mnt/sdcard)
searched high and low for a few hours, found a semi-cogent post about how to install it using adb from your PC, i guess.
adb is in the SDK which you can get from here:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
I installed this and I located adb here: C:\androidsdk\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

on my PC from the command line (start, run, cmd, ENTER) I changed directories to that directory.
I executed, still on the command line: adb shell
:
This presented me the the octothorpe (hashtag if you must) prompt:#
at the # prompt I entered WITHOUT the double quote, ditto marks (")
"dd if=/sdcard/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.3-quincyatt.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22"
so it looked like this:

#dd if=/sdcard/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.3-quincyatt.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22

I pressed enter and it ran pretty quickly and returned to the (apparent) adb prompt # then I typed exit and it dumped me to the C: prompt and I exited that too (so there!), Then I rebooted the phone into recovery mode using one of many nifty reboot apps in the play store, so I don't have to have my fingers holding this slick and slippery buttons.
I verified I was in the new version of CWM, and rebooted to make sure my phone was still breathing... it was so I bailed back into recovery and am now running a backup... then I'll try to install the new ICS ROM, although it looks way too small to me.
I've gathered that the # prompt is the root prompt in adb, so either I'm very lucky and it does this by default, or adb detected my rooted phone... if you've read this far your guess is as good as mine.
I hope this helped someone from having to google for hours and hours into the night, and then not oversleep, not be late to work, not get fired, not go on unemployment, etc.
or not.

Reactions: Gramurai

studacris

Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
if you are running an unsecured kernel, adb should start with root rights of I'm not mistaken...also when you were done moving the recovery file instead of exiting the adb session and the c prompt altogether
You could have simply used the command:
Adb reboot recovery
And in fact..That's all those apps do.

Also of you copy the files in your android sdk platform-tools folder:
Aapt.exe
Adb.exe
Adbwinapi.dll
Adbwinusbapi.dll
Into your main Windows folder, you no longer have to cd to the platform-tools folder, you can use adb as a global command.

Last edited:
Reactions: Froid and bigbuc
Last edited:
Reactions: Clark Joseph Kent

Clark Joseph Kent

Senior Mod / Moderator & RC-RT Committees Lead
Staff member
Dec 17, 2011
www.marines.com
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
That's an older version of cwm touch which is not compatible with some newer rooms.

Really...cus i have been using it since i got the note and have flashed just about every ROM, lol works great for me sir, maybe my phone likes me idk, and yes just about every ROM....k

But hey i could be wrong...;), so which ever works...use it, thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

tyler79durdan

Sep 28, 2011
1:1.61803
CWM Touch [Solved, again]

I got it working very easily...

Heres how.

Got my .img file from http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager. Scroll to find Samsung Galaxy Note(ATT)

Changed the name of the file from "recovery.whatever.whatever.quincyatt.img" to "recovery.img"(minus quotes) using es file explorer(root needed)

Moved the file to root of /sdcard = /sdcard/recovery.img

Opened terminal emulator

typed
su
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22
quit

then backed out to home screen and rebooted into my newest CWM Touch recovery.

Hope this helps anyone who needs it

EDIT: Just performed backup and succeeded. saved backup to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/
Moving prior braway recovery backups there to see if they are manageable within ROMmanager

Last edited:

Dirus

Nov 22, 2013
typed
su
quit

I did this, but instead of quit, I wrote "reboot recovery". I'm not sure if that did it, or if it was something else I did wrong, but the phone won't come back up. I checksummed the img I downloaded with another copy of "recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.3-quincyatt.img" that I downloaded, and they matched:
e70ee18c0d63ee18d325c94e2af7a683

Shrug.

Edit: I just flashed it through odin and it worked. To build the tar.md5 I did the following in cygwin:
Code:
mv recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.3-quincyatt.img recovery.img
tar -H gnu -c recovery.img > recovery.tar
md5sum -t recovery.tar >> recovery.tar
mv recovery.tar recovery.tar.md5

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know this is old but better late than never...

ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 5.8.4.3 for SGH-I717 .tar file

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39037837

your welcome, enjoy
    CWM Touch [Solved, again]

I got it working very easily...

Heres how.

Got my .img file from http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager. Scroll to find Samsung Galaxy Note(ATT)

Changed the name of the file from "recovery.whatever.whatever.quincyatt.img" to "recovery.img"(minus quotes) using es file explorer(root needed)

Moved the file to root of /sdcard = /sdcard/recovery.img

Opened terminal emulator

typed
    su
    quit

then backed out to home screen and rebooted into my newest CWM Touch recovery.

Hope this helps anyone who needs it

EDIT: Just performed backup and succeeded. saved backup to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/
    Moving prior braway recovery backups there to see if they are manageable within ROMmanager
    if you are running an unsecured kernel, adb should start with root rights of I'm not mistaken...also when you were done moving the recovery file instead of exiting the adb session and the c prompt altogether
    You could have simply used the command:
    Adb reboot recovery
    And in fact..That's all those apps do.

Also of you copy the files in your android sdk platform-tools folder:
    Aapt.exe
    Adb.exe
    Adbwinapi.dll
    Adbwinusbapi.dll
    Into your main Windows folder, you no longer have to cd to the platform-tools folder, you can use adb as a global command.

su

What am I missing?

Use odin.... thats what i done worked perfect!

How do I Odin a recovery image? I thought you need a tar file.

Scroll on down this thread and u will find the tar file for odin and it will fix ur problems