The Best Way to Download Youtube Videos (GUARANTEED)

Search This thread

topdnbass

Jan 13, 2009
I have finally discovered the best method to download youtube videos in the highest quality in playable format on our G1's. :D
I will update this as frequently as I can to make sure it stays current/works properly.

Alright, so steps 1 and 2 only need to be done one time.
1st: Go to the market and download MyBookmarks.
2nd: Open it, click import your bookmarks (type in 0420420420 when asked for your phone #)
Simply import the bookmark! (one by one or all at once)

3rd: Just go to the youtube page of choice on your stock browser, and once on it go to your bookmarks. Find and click the new bookmark (usually at the very bottom) called "YouTube Downloader".
Thats it. It'll instantly start downloading.

If you would like to rename the file, get a file manager such as ASTRO from the market. For Astro open it up, find the file in /sdcard/downloads and long press it. Then choose edit and rename..

Don't forget to 5* Rerwares great apps! Show them some support :)

Also Steel functionality has been added.
1. Go to www.xblight.com/tube.html on your steel browser.
2. Since copy and paste doesnt work too well on steel, do this. Hold down shift (arrow facing up, bottom left of keyboard) and start moving the trackball around until the code it all highlighted. Then hold down the track ball and copy all.
3. Now simply add a new bookmark and paste that in the bottom portion.
4. Now just do it the same way as before. Go to a youtube video page and click on the bookmark.

The good thing about the steel method is that it lets you rename the file on the fly

If you are on the youtube application, watching a video, and suddenly decide you want to download it, do the following. Hit menu -> share. Long press the link and copy all. Then just paste it in the URL hit enter, and click on your bookmark =)

I've also added several things which you can see below in the changelog.
Don't try to do it any other way, the steel code does NOT work in the stock browser and vice versa.
E-mail me at TopDNBass@gmail.com with any suggestions or problems.

Changelog:
1.0 - Works and downloads the very highest available quality.
1.1 - Quick fix. Found out that our g1's don't like to play the HD videos so now it gets the highest quality that isn't HD.
1.2 - Now it will check to see if you are actually on a youtube video page. If not itll redirect you to the youtube homepage. (Code altered to work on steel)
1.3 [1-3-09] - It now gives you a message right before you redirect so you know whats going on =P. Also the name was changed to YouTube Downloader.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Where does it store the stuff you Download? Just wondrin...

EDIT - Never mind - I had a go and it goes in the downloads folder on the sdcard an d it works WONDERFULLY!! Thanks for this :)

Dais xx

Last edited:

knoxbrder

Jan 10, 2009
Can't you just cut/paste the bookmark here instead of us needing to get it from that saved bookmark via the import bookmark program?

My guess is it must just be a URL to a site that uses the previous URL you were at (I think it's called the Referrer URL)?

topdnbass

Jan 13, 2009
I would but it doesnt work.
If you copy and paste the code in a bookmark on android it'll instantly add http:// to the beginning.
The code is in javascript and adding http:// will render it useless.

This is the only way around it.
Plus its quicker for everyone :)

knoxbrder

Jan 10, 2009
so you are just changing the url on the fly?

can it be done with a simple http referrer check?

if you are one of the people who setup one of those sites I think you could do it that way and then it would work from any browser/phone/pc without javascript

1. goto youtube.com/foo?goo=hoo&ioo=joo
2. goto someutubehack.com/getmedavid
3. script getmedavid looks at the referrer which is the url in 1
4. script getmedavid gets the vid and sends it back to you
5. you save it
6. profit! (sorry I read to much /.)

topdnbass

Jan 13, 2009
Yeah,
That works, but this way is the quickest way for android phones.
And yea, it just changes the url on the fly,
and if the video has HD available, it gets that version.
Meaning best quality every time =)
Go to the URL in my first post.
There are several methods to do the same thing.

Last edited:

giantcrazy

Sep 29, 2007
This rocks! Thanks for sharing...

I had previously used another method for downloading, but how does it get any easier than this? You just hit Youtube, find the video, and hit the bookmark.

Only downside is needing to rename the video after download, but that's the same as with any PC-based downloader as well.

blufabric

Sep 2, 2008
worked like a charm :cool:

EDIT- So do you have to go through step 2 again everytime? I had to because i couldnt find the "DL Youtube Video" bookmark in my bookmarks..??

Last edited:

topdnbass

Jan 13, 2009
If you downloaded it within the past 6-7 hours it will be called Youtube Downloader.
I updated it last night and found that name more fitting.

EDIT: New instructions added check above.

Last edited:

acousticdank

Feb 5, 2009
Chicago

Hey fyi 0420420420 no longer has the bookmark. Can you reup it or give a similar solution like you gave to steel users? It was working earlier today but I went to jf1.41 and forgot to save it. Thx

su3ng

Mar 10, 2008
Use the steel link and copy the code and save it to your own bookmarks and upload it to your own number in mybookmark. I just did this and it worked. Plus now you have your own personal copy.

topdnbass

Jan 13, 2009
Yes, it appears someone has replaced the bookmark.
I put it back up, still 0420420420.
:( Don't know why anyone would do that.

Also, the steel code does NOT work with the stock browser.
The easiest and basically only way to get this working on the stock browser is like this.

Last edited:

su3ng

Mar 10, 2008
Yea don't pay any attention to me. Whoa I got 2 now I'm on a row baby. Well thanks for this anyways, I can't stop downloading from youtube.

acousticdank

Feb 5, 2009
Chicago
Yes, it appears someone has replaced the bookmark.
I put it back up, 7647647000.
If this happens again then I will start constantly changing the numbers.
:( Don't know why anyone would do that.

Also, the steel code does NOT work with the stock browser.
The easiest and basically only way to get this working on the stock browser is like this.

If you notice that someone has changed this one let me know here or email me asap and i'll put up a new one.
Don't listen to su3ng he has 1 post ;).
Thanks for the update, but is it really that easy to change a book mark, what a crappy way to set up that app then...

btw, you may want to tell people to do it one by one. cause when your old 420 bookmark was overwritten, there were about 25 bookmarks. i did one by one, and went thru each one hoping that yours was still there, but it'd be a total pain in the ass if you imported all 25 and had to delete them :p

topdnbass

Jan 13, 2009
I just never thought anyone would overwrite mine.
So sad :(
I'm gonna talk rerware and see if theres a way to lock it.

EDIT: RERWARE IS GOING TO LOCK 0420420420!

Last edited: