Sony the all so developer friendly company

Search This thread

malek777

Nov 6, 2011
I've noticed that HTC one m8 has some serious development. I would probably say on par with the nexus 5 or even better.

coolmingli

Jan 16, 2013
San Francisco
I've noticed that HTC one m8 has some serious development. I would probably say on par with the nexus 5 or even better.

I agreed, if you like to play around with your phone, HTC M8 is the one to go, last time I checked there were about 20 different ROMs out there, plus you can do audio mod, viper audio, harmon kardon, super CID, sim unlock, S on off.......

Sony phones has smaller community, not too much developments, I had the Xperia ZL and I still have Z ultra, so I know.

jatinrungta

Nov 2, 2012
I agreed, if you like to play around with your phone, HTC M8 is the one to go, last time I checked there were about 20 different ROMs out there, plus you can do audio mod, viper audio, harmon kardon, super CID, sim unlock, S on off.......

Sony phones has smaller community, not too much developments, I had the Xperia ZL and I still have Z ultra, so I know.
not actually! Sony is the only oem that has a cross section dev on XDA. The point about z2 having almost no roms is that it has not reached to the masses yet :/

coolmingli

Jan 16, 2013
San Francisco
not actually! Sony is the only oem that has a cross section dev on XDA. The point about z2 having almost no roms is that it has not reached to the masses yet :/
It is indeed, look the z1 forum, z1 has been around longer than the M8, take a look how many custom ROMs z1 has then compare to the M8 and S5, with that said, the z2 might get more attention then the z1, I am sure z2 outsell the z1 by big margin, I personally like to run stock but rooted, I am going to wait for while see if someone can root the z2 without unlocking the bootloader.

RHBH

Apr 1, 2013
Sao Paulo
I don't get why some former or current Z1 owners that complains about lack of development are buying the Z2. If development is so important for you, you should really buy a Nexus device.

At least for me, I don't care about custom ROM/Kernel because I'm fine with Sony Stock Android, it's just better and more stable than most custom ROMs.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk Pro

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Um I actually thing Sony is the least developer friendly company...

I had various brand phone and HTC/Samsung blows Sony in terms of development...

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

This is probably correct from a theoretical view point.
From a user view point I see much less AOSP rom available for Z1 (nothing for Z2) compared to S4, M7 and G2.

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune

you are using non-flagship (ZL), niche devices (Z Ultra) and you are comparing to flagships? how can you expect loads of ROMs/kernels?

# of ROMs are least important - i can create a shell script to spit out 50 different ROMs which will vary just by a few apps but which some of the cooks in Sammy/HTC community "market" as "new ROMs"... thats completely useless...

Audio MODs? look at Z, Z1 communities... LOADS of Audio MODS...

Super CID => useless for Sony users as we can anyways flash WHICH EVER REGION FIRMWARE WE WANT! thats called FREEDOM & FLEXIBILITY!

SIM Unlock | S on/off => Sony bootloaders are TOUGH to crack, the last time someone was able to do so was in 2011... after that NO SONY DEVICE HAS BEEN HACKED... very secure bootloader... AND YOU SHOULD BE VERY HAPPY THAT THIS IS THE CASE!

also achieving such SIM Unlocks / S on/off is largely dependent on the user community... more the user base, more likelyhood of having more devs... when the expert unlockers see that there is potential (large user base) they either wait for a big bounty to cash in or start selling their exploits to developers who create paid "UNLOCKING SOFTWARE"...

strongylad28

Jun 10, 2012
Coming from a HTC one m7 and unlocking bootloader and rooting the day of purchase, I am a little gutted my bootloader can't be unlocked and therefore can't get root. Roms are nice to have in buckets, but not essential. I stuck with 1 rom through the 12 months I had the m7. However I do badly hope someone finds a way to root the z2 with locked boot loaders. There's a few tweaks I'd really like to do on mine, to make it more to my taste.

One can hope! The guys who spend there time working on this kind of thing are amazing, so I'm sure if it can be done, it will be, and I thank them for trying! (just hope someone somewhere is making progress, or even working on it ha)

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
you are using non-flagship (ZL), niche devices (Z Ultra) and you are comparing to flagships? how can you expect loads of ROMs/kernels?

# of ROMs are least important - i can create a shell script to spit out 50 different ROMs which will vary just by a few apps but which some of the cooks in Sammy/HTC community "market" as "new ROMs"... thats completely useless...

Super CID => useless for Sony users as we can anyways flash WHICH EVER REGION FIRMWARE WE WANT! thats called FREEDOM & FLEXIBILITY!

SIM Unlock | S on/off => Sony bootloaders are TOUGH to crack, the last time someone was able to do so was in 2011... after that NO SONY DEVICE HAS BEEN HACKED... very secure bootloader... AND YOU SHOULD BE VERY HAPPY THAT THIS IS THE CASE!

also achieving such SIM Unlocks / S on/off is largely dependent on the user community... more the user base, more likelyhood of having more devs... when the expert unlockers see that there is potential (large user base) they either wait for a big bounty to cash in or start selling their exploits to developers who create paid "UNLOCKING SOFTWARE"...

When you put it like this it makes me want a Z2 even more.... But from your experience. Do you think that in the near future we will have ROMs that are compatible with locked bootloaders? ( I don't want to unlock a Sony boot loader. As with the Z1 it lost some camera software making low light pictures worse, no idea if that's the case with z2)

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
With HTC you don't have these problems

Total nonsense. You lose hardware features with third party firmware on HTC, just like anybody else. And hell, HTC will even charge you for known hardware problems if you've dared unlock your phone. They couldn't be much less friendly to unlocking.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Sep 11, 2014
Guatemala City
who really understand Android?

Yes, as DooMLoRD said, the bootloader of Sony is quite strong from the point of view of development. With my little experience with Xperia Tipo I have noticed that there are several other advantages over OEM.
1. The bootloader is not in eMMC, this means that you can delete (in theory) the entire memory and (in theory) you can turning back. This makes the Xperia virtually unbrickables.
2. Sony launches blobs and other files necessary even before launching the phone (as with the Z2).
3. Sony offers AOSP for certain Z devices.
4 Thanks to s1boot (Sony S1 flash boot) You can leave your phone using Flashtool as factory, as if nothing ever happened.
5. Flashtool is infinitely better than Odin (Other tools are unknown for me).

However, there are several disadvantages in Sony's system:
1 If you touch something on TA, welcome to the world of expensive paperweight. The fact that the bootloader is virtually inaccessible makes it virtually irreparable.

That's what I've noticed in my two years with the Xperia Tipo. I had bought a Xperia Z but at 20 hours of the first start screen, it damage alone (self crack), was so fleeting that I could not put a password on the screen. It is current stored by two months because I have no money to repair it.

I'll buy Sony again despite my bad experience (even suffer, my current phone is a XYN305, just google it) because it seems as if Sony had made the bootloader, code release, etc etc for developers to enjoy (that's my staff review).

Regarding the DRM keys I think is right, I mean, imagine you're Sony, and I came with my Xperia Tipo with burnt processor and say it was your fault (knowing that burned for kernel I put). I doubt that you would like to be Sony in that situation.

Anyway, with a backup of TA and flashtool you can leave your phone as fresh out of the box, unlike Samsung which puts a token counter that can not be erased.

That's my way of seeing things, all this makes me believe that Sony is much more friendly to developers than most OEMs. Sony seems to understand well the meaning of freedom of Andorid.

Apple it's like: "We know the best for you, we know it. Use it or leave it and buy Android"
Samsung it's like: "We worked a lot for you and bring you such amazing features. So, as we worked a lot, we can't just leave to delete our work because we need to show to the whole world that we are better that Apple".
Sony it's like: "Do whatever you want. YOLO. We really don't care, the phone is yours and if you want to destroy it you can do it freely. BUT you NEVER should touch our keys, if you do, you will suffer."

Reactions: #Henkate
Sep 11, 2014
Guatemala City
Exactly man!!

I just want to say somethings too, correct me if I'm wrong anywhere

Sony provides straight forward bootloader unlocking. And after you do unlock the bootloader, you can do everything, install custom recovery/rom/kernel, all so easily, without having to worry about finding a method to root, etc. And you can backup/restore TA and relock bootloader from Flashtool

There is an official 'Flash tool' (Emma) from Sony for reverting to/flash/repair stock firmware. But it supports only a few devices.

But no worries because there's Flashtool by Androxyde which supports a large number of devices. You can't even compare Odin to Flashtool. Flashtool is just awesome maan!!
Its frequently updated,
You can install fastboot, flashmode drivers for your device from within Flashtool,
You can download any region/carrier firmware for your device from within Flashtool and flash them easily,

Xperias don't get hardbricked easily from my experience, you can almost always flash stock firmware with Flashtool and your device would be as good as new.

And from what I understand Flashtool can do most of these stuff because of Sony's S1 boot flashing protocol.

Yeah, if something goes wrong, you can virtually "refresh" the device and start again without doing crazy things like I have seen in other OEMs (in Sony it's easy as press two buttons, connect to PC and flash a new perfectly clean system), plus crazy, things that are dangerous.
That is, several times Flashtool has been half-writing my Xperia Tipo because my USB cable is old, but I've never had problems, I never have had the misfortune to see my Tipo die as I saw a Galaxy S3 inevitably die.

Think about this: maybe Sony has a vested interest in making the Xperia that way, maybe there is something to suit them (for example, it is impossible to change the IMEI, which in any case is a plus), but the fact that they took the trouble to "rebuild" Android that way (because Android on a Xperia is radically different than it is on other devices, for example, there is no such thing as S1 Boot), I think they have well deserved the award OEM of the year of XDA.

I'm not saying Sony is the best company to developers, but is very close and they would be the closest representation of what Android is capable of doing (for the representation of what android was built rather).

This is personal: If Google had such a thing as S1 Boot, the bootloader on a dedicated chip and Flashtool, I think all developers (including myself) would not think more than Nexus.

That's it, I can list a large number of Xperia-only features that we (developers) enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: #Henkate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Those are the drawbacks of unlocking it. They are dev friendly because all of their devices (except ones sold in carriers, but they don't have control over it) have unlockable bootloaders, and they provide all the tools, with tutorials and such to do it. They also offer great tools and files to help other devs do their work.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
    Am I the only one thinking that Sony being handled as "the most developer community friendly company" is a bit of nonsense?
    Look at what problems the official bootloader unlock poses with Sony and all the uncertainty what's still working after and what not.
    With HTC you don't have these problems the only thing there is that a few easily reinstallable apps get deleted but nothing like camera not working or not so good anymore, lost DRM keys, lost other features, not the mention the complete wipe of nearly everything when unlocking the bootloader with Sony even with Samsung this whole process is easier as far as I know.

I can understand why the DRM keys are deleted even though it wouldn't be necessary as they are bound to the exact phone so piracy isn't really possible but with the previous Xperias where even the camera stopped working until Android 4.3 and other features were rendered unusable I'm having a hard time to believe this is "the most developer community friendly company".

They should be named as the most GPL compliant company as far as I read.

Or am I missing some important points completely?
    Nope everything seems to be working. And no, it doesnt wipe sd card, that would be nonsense. You could just remove card and insert it later after unlocking dont you think? :D

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly man!!

I just want to say somethings too, correct me if I'm wrong anywhere

Sony provides straight forward bootloader unlocking. And after you do unlock the bootloader, you can do everything, install custom recovery/rom/kernel, all so easily, without having to worry about finding a method to root, etc. And you can backup/restore TA and relock bootloader from Flashtool

There is an official 'Flash tool' (Emma) from Sony for reverting to/flash/repair stock firmware. But it supports only a few devices.

But no worries because there's Flashtool by Androxyde which supports a large number of devices. You can't even compare Odin to Flashtool. Flashtool is just awesome maan!!
    Its frequently updated,
    You can install fastboot, flashmode drivers for your device from within Flashtool,
    You can download any region/carrier firmware for your device from within Flashtool and flash them easily,

Xperias don't get hardbricked easily from my experience, you can almost always flash stock firmware with Flashtool and your device would be as good as new.

And from what I understand Flashtool can do most of these stuff because of Sony's S1 boot flashing protocol.

Yeah, if something goes wrong, you can virtually "refresh" the device and start again without doing crazy things like I have seen in other OEMs (in Sony it's easy as press two buttons, connect to PC and flash a new perfectly clean system), plus crazy, things that are dangerous.
    That is, several times Flashtool has been half-writing my Xperia Tipo because my USB cable is old, but I've never had problems, I never have had the misfortune to see my Tipo die as I saw a Galaxy S3 inevitably die.

Think about this: maybe Sony has a vested interest in making the Xperia that way, maybe there is something to suit them (for example, it is impossible to change the IMEI, which in any case is a plus), but the fact that they took the trouble to "rebuild" Android that way (because Android on a Xperia is radically different than it is on other devices, for example, there is no such thing as S1 Boot), I think they have well deserved the award OEM of the year of XDA.

I'm not saying Sony is the best company to developers, but is very close and they would be the closest representation of what Android is capable of doing (for the representation of what android was built rather).

This is personal: If Google had such a thing as S1 Boot, the bootloader on a dedicated chip and Flashtool, I think all developers (including myself) would not think more than Nexus.

That's it, I can list a large number of Xperia-only features that we (developers) enjoy.