May 11, 2008
France
Hello All ,

Application to test!

RadarFree for Pocket PC
[ http://www.radarfree.com/pocketpc_en.html ]

Introduction

radarfree-ppc-en.jpg

RadarFree is a real-time GPS speed camera alert application for Pocket PC & iPhone. With more than 18000 fixed speed cameras and all real-time mobile cameras in Europe, RadarFree is the best fellow traveler who warns you on every camera approach.

RadarFree technology is based on collaborative and community work. In fact, all RadarFree members can advise cameras, accidents or risks on the road to warn others on their iPhone. Once the user has advised a new camera to our server, it will automatically check the information and the message to the RadarFree community.

The camera detection algorithm has been optimized to be very practical in all situations. Whether it be on highways or in city, RadarFree will warn you only when necessary.

The graphical user interface is very light in order to quickly grab the most pertinent information: Type of camera, distance between vehicle and camera and speed limit. Also, you can declare a speed camera easily and intuitively in a few clicks.

Key features
- More than 18000 updated fixed speed cameras
- RadarFree is available in the following countries:
• Andorra
• Belgium
• Denmark
• Finland
• France
• France DOM TOM
• Great Britain
• Italy
• Netherlands
• Norway
• Poland
• Spain
• Sweden
- Real-time mobile speed cameras and alerts
- Smart camera detection algorithm taking into account camera direction and vehicle speed
- Displaying vehicle speed and speed limit
- Displaying the angle between your route and the next speed camera

Download

Compatibility and installation

- RadarFree PocketPC is compatible with Windows Mobile 5 et 6, it requires also a GPS receiver
- You need to install first Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5

Last edited:

SaiBork

May 5, 2009
Could you make the current speed a bit bigger? This way its better readable next to the big max limit sign ;)

Also, does the application notify me of the difference between cameras?
Like:
Normal speedcam
Trafficlight/speedcam
Fixed average speed check cam/route

<Xtof>

Mar 20, 2010
Works fine on HD2.
- maybe the speed display could be bigger.
- I have seen a radar misplaced of 30-40 meters, i'd like to edit my local database, then sync with the server.
I don't like to play with my phone while driving, so editing the database at home would be fine.

With some little mods , this soft will be better than paying ones.
Good job, thanks.

impreZzA

Feb 5, 2009
I guess its not available in Germany because radar applications are forbidden in this country, even ur tomtom is not allowed to give u a hint to slow down ...

:D

Chastiser

Jan 22, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
has installed perfectly on my HD2. looks designed for a smaller screen though as i have some screen space at the bottom in portrait.

errrr can you delete posted cameras, as i pressed the hazard sign to see what happened and it recorded a camera at that location - snag is i am in my livingroom lol.

Mike

nilknarf

Feb 10, 2008
Rather important bug

First of all, let me just say well done and thank you for making such a cool application! :)

I tested this while in the car with my wife this afternoon (she was driving while I played!). We live in the UK, and everything is in miles per hour here.

When I first started your app the camera warning speed was in miles/h, but the current speed was in km/h, so I ticked the 'km/h or miles/hour' option in the settings. The current speed now changed to miles/h, but the camera warning speed dropped to a lower (incorrect) number.

For example, with a 30 mph camera coming up, and with us traveling at just under that speed, we got the following results:

With the 'km/h or miles/hour' option ticked, the camera warning speed was correct (30), but the car speed was reported at about 47 kph (and the software seemed to warn us that we were going too fast).

With the 'km/h or miles/hour' option unticked, the car speed was correctly reported in mph (29-30), but the warning sign speed was now showing 20, so again were warned that we were going too quick! I'm guessing this is just a simple variable somewhere that needs changing.

However, perhaps it would be an idea to have two seperate tick box options in the settings to cater for every country, one option for the vehicle speed, and one for the camera warning speed (with just a little extra code to do the conversion between the two when doing the real-time comparing of the current speed to that of the camera?).

Again, fantasic bit of software, and other than the bug I mentioned, everything else seems to work fine.

Thank you for the great application once again, and I look forward to testing it again! :)

p.s. This was on a HTC Touch HD2 by the way.

-Mike