Jelly Bean on HTC Inspire.. my experience.

Search This thread

mrdoc151

Sep 13, 2010
NYC
I am writing my experience with Jelly bean on inspire as I wanted to read one before I tried it but didnt find anything in detail. Here is how I did it and how it has been so far:
I used THIS to root my phone and THIS is the ROM that I used. Please note that you have to install google apps separately to get access to market. Download link is on the same page as ROM.

It went quite smooth and took me about half hour before I had the phone up and running again. I have been using it for last 2 days.
So far everything I have tried has been working:
TOUCH SCREEN: works perfect.
All HARD KEYS are working.
Camera works fine
Camcorder works okay, not great though (the recorded videos have few stutters).
ixMAT scanner dint work but BarCode Scanner did.
Wifi/network data works good.
GPS works fine, i traveled some 20 miles without any problems.
Bluetooth works fine.
Phone works good. Initially it sounded like "sounds was too loud for speaker". I was able to fix that by decreasing the volume just a bit.
Accelerometer and other sensors work good.
I haven't felt any difference in battery. It charged as quickly as it did before and battery life seems okay (although I have really been using it a lot).

Performance of jelly bean:
It is amazingly smooth and fast. Initially I missed the sense UI but once i got used to NOVA launcher, it feels great. I found a launcher called "LP Sense UI". It gives the same feeling as Sense 3.0 did ( I came from Stock 2.3.5 ROM with Sense 3.0) although it is not very customize-able. If you are Sense clock lover, you may like this widget called "Sense flip clock and weather". I like its visuals. Its music apps "Apollo" is quite nice.
You can see a screenshot of my home screen.

Feel free to post if you have any comments/questions.

Update: Just discovered that by default, the system disables wifi when the phone goes to sleep which results in higher data usage. To avoid this, System settings>wifi> hit Menu and select Advanced> Keep wifi on during sleep> always. This may result in a little higher battery usage.

Update 2: Almost a week now and it is still running quite smooth despite the fact that I have tried A LOT of apps and a lot of widgets. Occasional hang ups have happened when an app becomes non responsive and I have to wait a couple of minute; happened to me twice in a week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-17-18-51-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-17-18-51-18.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,114
  • Screenshot_2012-10-19-15-46-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-19-15-46-58.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,835
  • Screenshot_2012-10-20-23-08-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-10-20-23-08-01.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,754
Last edited:

diegopv

Aug 3, 2012
Jellytime from RB es working great, no big issues.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda app-developers app

Sully6789

Jan 16, 2011
Oak Harbor, WA
I get horrible WiFi signal on my wife's inspire with all the JB Roms. I'm fairly certain its the Kang Bang kernel. Haven't tried any of the CM10 nightlies yet, but every other ROM, ICS or GB, the WiFi signal is excellent. And I know its not my router, an Asus RT-66U, I get signal on my skyrocket from that thing out in the street. Lordmod's kernel was the same way, but Existz TalonAce always proved better. Hopefully Existz will give us JB soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

kBTWOFOUR

Mar 5, 2011
Chicago
Jelly Time is a solid JB rom and I liked it when I used it for a few weeks.

Right now, I use Codefire as my daily rom.

xxkid123

Jun 13, 2012
Pacman is a great ROM as well, in the dhd development section.

brett46373

Feb 26, 2012
JB & ICS Roms

In the last 3 months I have used 8 different roms, on CM10 latest nightly. Seems good.
I have swappted the radio trying to find the best one. I only get about 40ft of wifi with one dot.
had the 12.69s and now back to 12.59 and it seems to pick up a little better with less battery drain.
Still playing around to find the best combo.

Lisa570

Nov 6, 2012
Tobyhanna
I currently have the most recent and up to date Ice cold sandwich ROM, and I was thinking of switching to jelly bean. Should I make the switch? I don't know much about these ROM's my friend does, and I've heard jelly bean is a great ROM.

ai6908

Nov 13, 2006
Land of Lincoln
I currently have the most recent and up to date Ice cold sandwich ROM, and I was thinking of switching to jelly bean. Should I make the switch? I don't know much about these ROM's my friend does, and I've heard jelly bean is a great ROM.

JB is good...but keep in mind like any other ROM...there is going to be bugs.

Sent from my Desire HD

Reactions: Lisa570
Jan 8, 2013
Was using Sabsa prime v 8.0 which had ICS 4.0.3 and now am running CyanogenMod 10.1 with jelly bean 4.2.1 and I am not considering going back. In fact I am looking at how smoothly this 10.1 runs on galaxy note 2 so when I upgrade I can get 4.1.2 Samsung touch whiz stuff off.

donalson

Jan 13, 2013
I tried a few of the various jellybean roms and while I really liked them I had a few probs, wifi signal being one, on another it would just freeze up on me, another had really bad sound artifacts when I would listen to music though headphones that I just couldn't live with.

I went to ICS aospx and am content, my battery life kills my wifes stock inspire 4g while running very smoothly...

I may give another one of the jellybean roms another try with a different kernel and see what happens... but right now i'm happy so we'll see if I change it.

MidnightJava

Sep 4, 2012
Reston, VA
I'm running the JellyTime ROM as well, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it's working. I was running CM7.2 previously, and while I liked it, there was a persistent GPS bug that was not being fixed. Navigator would lose GPS after 2 min and never recover it, although I learned that the workaround is to toggle GPS while Navigator is running. JellyTime originally had this bug as well, which apparently made it into CM10. But one of the JellyTime updates fixed it, and hopefully it was back-ported into CM10.

I've only been running JellyTime a few days, but all the important things seem to work well. One minor issue is that the backlight on the hardware keys goes out after a few seconds, rather than staying on when the screen is on or being turned on by the proximity sensor. One thing I miss was a widget in CM7.2 that pulled down notifications, which was a convenience in lieu of swiping.

Reactions: Aphang22

Aphang22

Feb 13, 2013
Cm10.1 smooth

if you like JB, you will also like CM10.1, it's smooth so far for me, everything works or the apps I used all works. I will update, if I find any issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am writing my experience with Jelly bean on inspire as I wanted to read one before I tried it but didnt find anything in detail. Here is how I did it and how it has been so far:
    I used THIS to root my phone and THIS is the ROM that I used. Please note that you have to install google apps separately to get access to market. Download link is on the same page as ROM.

It went quite smooth and took me about half hour before I had the phone up and running again. I have been using it for last 2 days.
    So far everything I have tried has been working:
    TOUCH SCREEN: works perfect.
    All HARD KEYS are working.
    Camera works fine
    Camcorder works okay, not great though (the recorded videos have few stutters).
    ixMAT scanner dint work but BarCode Scanner did.
    Wifi/network data works good.
    GPS works fine, i traveled some 20 miles without any problems.
    Bluetooth works fine.
    Phone works good. Initially it sounded like "sounds was too loud for speaker". I was able to fix that by decreasing the volume just a bit.
    Accelerometer and other sensors work good.
    I haven't felt any difference in battery. It charged as quickly as it did before and battery life seems okay (although I have really been using it a lot).

Performance of jelly bean:
    It is amazingly smooth and fast. Initially I missed the sense UI but once i got used to NOVA launcher, it feels great. I found a launcher called "LP Sense UI". It gives the same feeling as Sense 3.0 did ( I came from Stock 2.3.5 ROM with Sense 3.0) although it is not very customize-able. If you are Sense clock lover, you may like this widget called "Sense flip clock and weather". I like its visuals. Its music apps "Apollo" is quite nice.
    You can see a screenshot of my home screen.

Feel free to post if you have any comments/questions.

Update: Just discovered that by default, the system disables wifi when the phone goes to sleep which results in higher data usage. To avoid this, System settings>wifi> hit Menu and select Advanced> Keep wifi on during sleep> always. This may result in a little higher battery usage.

Update 2: Almost a week now and it is still running quite smooth despite the fact that I have tried A LOT of apps and a lot of widgets. Occasional hang ups have happened when an app becomes non responsive and I have to wait a couple of minute; happened to me twice in a week.
    I've been rockin cm10.1 and can never go to ICS or even 4.1.2 again runs so smooth

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
    I used to use this rom but now I'm on miui, pretty much better when it comes to camera and battery life.

JB is good...but keep in mind like any other ROM...there is going to be bugs.

Sent from my Desire HD
    I'm running the JellyTime ROM as well, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it's working. I was running CM7.2 previously, and while I liked it, there was a persistent GPS bug that was not being fixed. Navigator would lose GPS after 2 min and never recover it, although I learned that the workaround is to toggle GPS while Navigator is running. JellyTime originally had this bug as well, which apparently made it into CM10. But one of the JellyTime updates fixed it, and hopefully it was back-ported into CM10.

I've only been running JellyTime a few days, but all the important things seem to work well. One minor issue is that the backlight on the hardware keys goes out after a few seconds, rather than staying on when the screen is on or being turned on by the proximity sensor. One thing I miss was a widget in CM7.2 that pulled down notifications, which was a convenience in lieu of swiping.