Unusable WiFi

Search This thread

theratdude64

Aug 30, 2010
SLC UT
The wife and I just switched to Sprint and got two GS5's. Her wifi access is tolerable, she can play a youtube video. I can barely even load a facebook feed. My wifi is total garbage, so I went and installed wifi fixer:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wahtod.wififixer

And the alerts say that it's constantly having to reassociate the Wifi. Even with this in the background fixing things up, I can't use my wifi. I also googled the problem a lot, and found that someone manually switching the IP type to a manual IP gave them better luck. Did not help me out.

The Sprint Spark data is incredible, it actually beats my home broadband internet. But I'm in the basement so I can't just use my data :'(

Background on the phone, BOTH are stock out of the box rom, but with TWRP, Root, 4 Way Reboot Menu, and unlocked hotspot flashes.

Last edited:

theratdude64

Aug 30, 2010
SLC UT
Before I tried the setting on the advanced it was stock out of the box DHCP, then I switched it to Static to lock an IP, with little difference. Back to DHCP for now.

I can ask for better details because the router is in someone else's room, but it's the one that Century Link (DSL :( ) Gave us.

Last edited:

jbadboy2007

Sep 22, 2010
Lansing MI
LMAO LOOK AT YOUR LINK SPEED. THAT IS TERRIBLE ALMOST NON EXSISTENT. You need to modify some settings or add a capable router to that. Here is what a decent link speed looks like on this device and this device is capable of more than this.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402748472804.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402748472804.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 72

jbadboy2007

Sep 22, 2010
Lansing MI
To add to my previous post is my guess that WiFi you currently have is not mimo meaning multiple people can't be connected at the same time with sufficient link speeds. Your wife was the first to connect and it is giving her 90% of the link speed which is why she can and you cant. Only a new router can correct this more than likely. You can disconnect everyone else from the WiFi toggle your WiFi off then on and go check your link speed with no one else connected just you and I'm gonna guess you will have around 5 MBPS link speed. FYI on link speed it's not that you need a huge number for the link speed to browse the Internet but a minimal of 30 MBPS is needed to have an ideal Web experience especially when it comes to viewing images on Web pages.

theratdude64

Aug 30, 2010
SLC UT
I know that century link is worthless but I doubt it's the problem. I can stream youtube, Hulu and all that kinda stuff pretty decently on my laptop, decently on the wife's phone, worthless on my phone. Any hour, when everyone is asleep, I still have a piece of ****.

Last night I remembered that when I did the hotspot unlock I accidently did the NC1 or whatever it is Hotspot fix file, then corrected it to be the ND2 file. So I went and fully reloaded the phone back with the stock TWRP backup and didn't help :(

Last edited:

jbadboy2007

Sep 22, 2010
Lansing MI
I know that century link is worthless but I doubt it's the problem. I can stream youtube, Hulu and all that kinda stuff pretty decently on my laptop, decently on the wife's phone, worthless on my phone. Any hour, when everyone is asleep, I still have a piece of ****.

Last night I remembered that when I did the hotspot unlock I accidently did the NC1 or whatever it is Hotspot fix file, then corrected it to be the ND2 file. So I went and fully reloaded the phone back with the stock TWRP backup and didn't help :(

You should re read I never said century link was the issue

theratdude64

Aug 30, 2010
SLC UT
Oh I'm sorry, I thought that's what the link speed was referring to. We used to have cable but our neighborhood doesn't have new cabling or something so they can't work here.

It's just weird and frustrating that it's just MY phone. The other 4 GS5's in the house do fine.

jbadboy2007

Sep 22, 2010
Lansing MI
Oh I'm sorry, I thought that's what the link speed was referring to. We used to have cable but our neighborhood doesn't have new cabling or something so they can't work here.

It's just weird and frustrating that it's just MY phone. The other 4 GS5's in the house do fine.

Link speed is from the WiFi router itself. what happens is your WiFi starts at (for example) 52 MBPS with one device connected. Then that gets split each time a new device connects. When you have a new router that's more capable it does not split the link speed as much with each connected device. Link speed is the speed in which the device is communicating with the WiFi router

theratdude64

Aug 30, 2010
SLC UT
My phone gets 5, the wife's gets 117. My best I've gotten was 39mbps on this phone, but at 4AM when everyone is asleep I still only get 5mbps.

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
You can try forgetting the WiFi network then add it back and see if that makes any difference

Also, check whether the router supports 5 GHz over 2.4. If so, try switching to that.
You may find with the cable wireless gateways that you're better off buying your own.
Comcast's isn't bad but get more than 10 feet away and you start seeing it drop off.