[DEV] A1 Lenovo IdeaPad ICS Port

Search This thread

droople

Sep 29, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 5
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
If anyone is interested in installing a clean copy of Lenovo's ICS on their A1, gmarkhall has posted instructions and downloads on Lenovo's forum.

The process creates a bootable microSD. You boot from it twice, installing three different files it has loaded on the microSD. When done, you have a clean A107I0_A404_001_013_0116_US version of ICS on your tablet.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-IdeaTab-Slate-Tablets/GUIDE-A1-and-A1107-Unbrick-fix-full-factory-restore/td-p/841373

Great job Graham!

I installed ICS 4.04 followed the steps on this page
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad...-Unbrick-fix-full-factory-restore/ta-p/841499
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad...-Unbrick-fix-full-factory-restore/ta-p/841499
And then rooted by A1 rooter
It works perfectly :)

raz0r09

Mar 15, 2009
Can please someone tell me which ICS Version for the Lenovo A1 is the most stable and supporting German language? Is Audio already working under ICS?

tinybeetle

Jun 20, 2011
Largo, FL
www.WildmenMinistry.com
Can please someone tell me which ICS Version for the Lenovo A1 is the most stable and supporting German language? Is Audio already working under ICS?

The Lenovo provided 4.0.4 version (referenced above) does have several German language options in the settings. Audio works as does Bluetooth audio. The sound volume of the internal speaker is about 20% lower than under Gingerbread in my opinion.

raz0r09

Mar 15, 2009
The Lenovo provided 4.0.4 version (referenced above) does have several German language options in the settings. Audio works as does Bluetooth audio. The sound volume of the internal speaker is about 20% lower than under Gingerbread in my opinion.

Hi,

Thank you for response. Well, I have installed and everything went fine, but:
I can´t mount my external SD card under ICS? I have only 2GB internal memory available but it´s the 16GB version of A1.
What to do? :confused:

tinybeetle

Jun 20, 2011
Largo, FL
www.WildmenMinistry.com
Hi,

Thank you for response. Well, I have installed and everything went fine, but:
I can´t mount my external SD card under ICS? I have only 2GB internal memory available but it´s the 16GB version of A1.
What to do? :confused:

Your 16GB of memory is partitioned. It is labeled: Total Storage at 1.83GB. This is set aside for system and program files. The remaining space from your 16GB is called USB Storage, and should show 12.01GB. And then if you have a microSD installed, that shows as Removable SD Card.

If you look at the Lenovo forums you'll find a lot of discussion about the A1's ICS presentation of storage. There are some download files to try if you are not seeing your external microSD.

Also, after flashing your A1. Your microSD has been partitioned into only 400mb or so. You need to repartition it yourself if you want to use the full capacity of the microSD again. I personally used SD Formatter to reset it.

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
Nothing new. I would really like to see some improvements in battery life and wireless stability. I can go two days of normal use with CM7 or a week of sleep vs 1 day whether I use it or not in ICS. What are you getting for battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

devrajp

Feb 27, 2012
How do i root a1. Do i hav to intall cwm recovery for rooting a1. And where can i find cwm recovery for lenovo a1 ics

Dear all, after all whith help of this forum i managed To port in ics and than update ota to the latest version for my lenovo a1. But i hac two problems

1. I cannot move apps to sd card( internel or external).
I hav not rooted my tab. Should i root my a1 ics to enable move to sd. And if yes than which rooter will help me. Pls give me the link

2. I dont see home, back and menu keys in the screen. Any way to get that.

Thanks every one in advance. Pls help

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello.

In this topic we talk about the Lenovo ICS versions and the home-brown self-made Ice Cream Sandwich I'm trying to build.

Currently I'm trying to port Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4) to A1 IdeaPad by Lenovo.

Currently working:
    * Touchscreen Input
    * SGX530 Hardware Graphic Acceleration
    * Orientation
    * 3D Acceleration
    * Brightness (using lights.omap3.so from Lenovo)

Not working:
    * Audio

UPDATE 05.08.2012:
    SGX530 Integration succeeded into Android AOSP ICS 4.0.4!
    One should have to know that you have to use a DIFFERENT SGX DDK for ICS than for Gingerbread but that's not documented... 1.8@version for ICS, 1.7.X for GB. Installed the proper components, ES=5.X and then we are rolling. I'm now trying to use some of the ICS libraries from the Lenovo ICS, but those have horrible dependencies. Thou I can most likely take the camera.omap3.so, I still want to be able to build those libraries from source, where available, so I gotta have to collect some stuff together. If this progresses nicely, I might be able to make a CM9 port here aswell, but for now, I need to get the rest of the functionallity working (WiFi driver [dhd_oob.ko] registers, but doesn't appear on the ICS yet, same for bluetooth. Sound is not working yet (E/AudioFlinger( 4034): createTrack_l() Bad parameter: sampleRate 44100 m 44100 format 1 m 1, channelMask 0x0000000 m 0x00000001 for output 0x3 with format 67520, e.a. channelMask is not doing what it should do), ...)

Again, I'm sorry that I don't have much spare time right now, so the progress is rather slow.

Right now Ice Cream Sandwich is booting, I had to patch SystemUI.apk to force hardware acceleration off. I tried to set debug.egl.hw=0 in the prop-file, but it didn't change anything, so I had to modify the source to hard-set it to accept no hardware acceleration.

I'm trying to get input to work, but it seems that the mg-capacity / Morgan Touch Capacity Display doesn't give proper values to InputReader. Since the libinput.so got massivly changed after switching from GingerBread to Ice Cream Sandwich, it doesn't seem to give proper values to the InputReader anymore. I patched/modified my libinput.so to display raw events and log them to logcat, but I gotta take a look if I have to write myself a wrapper for that.

UPDATE 31.03.2012:
    - I was able to fix the missing BTN_TOUCH in the kernel sources. Now we have a working touchscreen.
    - Added ro.sf.hwrotation 270, so the input is correct

UPDATE 25.07.2012:
    - Sorry for the lack of updates, I currently don't have much spare time to work on this, sadly.
    - What I found out is, that I was able to implement SGX530 libraries to Ice Cream Sandwich, but the driver wouldn't really activate my screen. To be honest, when i loaded the SGX drivers, my screen or speakers (not sure which) started to give this really high pitched noise. I'm not sure where it came from, but I'm sure I ****ed something up with the SGX drivers. We can't simply take the Gingerbread SGX Drivers to Ice Cream Sandwich, sadly. And we can't simply use the SGX Module from the version Lenovo provided, since they depend on a certain kernel module.
    E.a. If you use a GingerBread Kernel with the Input Fix (like the one I compiled), you can boot Ice Cream Sandwich fine and stuff, but you can not use the SGX530 modules from the Lenovo ICS. (As this one flashes a new kernel version, and modifies the MBR and does other witch-craftery)
    My ultimate goal would be, to use the Gingerbread Kernel from Lenovo with the additional screen input fixes for ICS and add the SGX/PowerVR 530 to that, so we would have hardware acceleration (for now). I want to avoid the 3.x kernel from Lenovo as much as possible as it seems to have various terrible problems in the regular use (disconnecting Wifi, standby problems, power supply problems, etc.)
    We can't simply make an omap-kernel from the 3.x tree aswell, as we are missing lots of the arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-evt* and the important arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-evt1a.c which initializes our board for the boot process. And even if we could use a 3.x tree and implement powerVR into it, we would have to port ALL the changes Lenovo made to the sources (some MMC adaptions, power supply adaptions, modification to the rfkill, etc.) to the new kernel by which, most likely, lenovo will release either another pad or ICS for A1 (as it would take a HUGE amount of time).

So the goals are:
    - Wait for Lenovo to stabilize the kernel of ICS and use their ROM.
    OR:
    - Use GB-Kernel from Lenovo Source Ball, try to implement PowerVR/SGX530 drivers and user-land applications to the ICS
    - Slowly adapting other OMAP devices and libraries (brightness, vibration, sound, ...)

Chat:
    #ideapad-a1 @ irc.freenode.net
    (it's gmarkall's channel, but I hang out there.)
    I can photograph it for you if you want, putting it up tomorrow :p

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

My A1 is a little bit dirty, shame on me.
    I also put up a nightly kernel with ICS compatible input support. http://gmarkall.spiegeleixxl.de/gmarkall/nightlies/cm7-a1-kernel-2012-04-04.uImage

Here is a "test" version. You have to move the system/ and data/ folder to the root/ folder and put that onto the ext2 partition of a sdcard, put MLO, u-boot.bin and the kernel into the fat32 partition of your sdcard.

DO NOT FLASH THIS KERNEL AND/OR SYSTEM TO YOUR A1, IF YOU DO SO, YOU COULD RISK BRICKING YOUR DEVICE!

rootfs: http://gmarkall.spiegeleixxl.de/ICS/a1_dev_ics_rootfs.tar.bz2
    tested kernel: http://gmarkall.spiegeleixxl.de/ICS/a1_dev_ics_kernel.uImage
    idc-file to put into /system/usr/idc, so that the input device is a real "touch screen" and not a touching device: http://gmarkall.spiegeleixxl.de/ICS/mg-capacitive.idc
    Yes, we finally got a full source, we can compile kernels now, I'm implementing the missing module as we speak, so expect ICS in the following week!
    The current status is, that I'm trying to integrate SGX/3D Accelleration as before.

For everyone who is not able to understand German:

* Download ICS-ROM: http://sdrv.ms/JYFPao (it's file "ISC1.2")
    * Flash with stock recovery tool: copy zip file from above to SD card and rename it to "update.zip". Power off. Press "Volume -" & power on again. DO NOT try CWM!
    * Root with help of "A1 rooter" update package
    * Fix SD card-Bug with help of "A1_ICS_SD-Card.zip" update package