[APP][4.0+] ReadItToMe - 2015 -Reads aloud & Voice Reply to Whatsapp, Hangouts & more

Search This thread

crazyfool_1

Nov 25, 2010
[APP][4.3+] ReadItToMe 2.0 -Reads & Voice Reply to Whatsapp, SMS etc handsfree

attachment.php

What Is ReadItToMe
Like alot of us I use my phone for music alot and I wanted to be able to hear who was texting me or calling without having to pull out my phone. There are a few apps which do this however I found them to be too bloated and I wanted to be able to have it run automatically when I needed it.
Thats why I wrote ReadItToMe.

ReadItToMe reads out your incoming sms messages, incoming callers as well as notifications from any app on your phone. It can be set to do this automatically when you connect to a bluetooth device or you plug in your headphones, as well as over the speakerphone.

Voice Reply
The latest update (2015) to ReadItToMe allows to you voice reply to Whatsapp, Hangouts, Gmail, Telegram and others.
*Voice reply will remain a paid feature (the only paid feature) however it will be free during any betas and you will get a 2 week free trial with the live version

Translates Txt Speak
ReadItToMe will also translate your text messages into proper english so you can understand whats being read.
This means with ReadItToMe This:
SMS from John saying: "btw dat woz amazin, I dunno y I wasn't gonna go lol"
Becomes This:
"New message received from John. By the way that was amazing, I don't know why I wasn't going to go laugh out loud' :D
As well as that you can add your own words and translations easily through the UI.

Now on the Play Store
• Massively overhauled the UI
• Profiles are now shown in a list for easier management
• Added an on-boarding process to make profiles easier to create
• Added support for WiFi profiles
• Numerous bug fixes & tweaks

Public Beta on Google Play

Attachments

• promo_ritm.jpg
    promo_ritm.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 6,313
Last edited:

mcampbellsmith

Jul 1, 2010
Great start!

One you have caller id working would you consider reading system notifications a well?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA

mcampbellsmith

Jul 1, 2010
HI crazyfool_1

If I have Auto enable on Bluetooth ticked, does this override the option Auto enable on Incoming Call? ie and 'AND' operation?

Also, today I noticed that even though I have the Auto enable on Bluetooth ticked, ReadItToMe would start randomly at times when bluetooth was disabled on the phone. I didn't manage to catch much from logcat, but I got this (filtering on string 'readit'):

I/ActivityManager( 119): No longer want robj.readit.tome (pid 22510): hidden #22
I/WindowManager( 119): WINDOW DIED Window{4055d200 robj.readit.tome/robj.readit.tome.ReadItToMeActivity paused=false}
W/ActivityManager( 119): Scheduling restart of crashed service robj.readit.tome/.ReadItToMeService in 5000ms
I/ActivityManager( 119): Start proc robj.readit.tome for service robj.readit.tome/.ReadItToMeService: pid=23392 uid=10078 gids={3002, 3001}
I/ActivityManager( 119): No longer want robj.readit.tome (pid 23392): hidden #16
W/ActivityManager( 119): Scheduling restart of crashed service robj.readit.tome/.ReadItToMeService in 5000ms
I/ActivityManager( 119): Start proc robj.readit.tome for service robj.readit.tome/.ReadItToMeService: pid=25013 uid=10078 gids={3002, 3001}

crazyfool_1

Nov 25, 2010
HI crazyfool_1

If I have Auto enable on Bluetooth ticked, does this override the option Auto enable on Incoming Call? ie and 'AND' operation?

Also, today I noticed that even though I have the Auto enable on Bluetooth ticked, ReadItToMe would start randomly at times when bluetooth was disabled on the phone. I didn't manage to catch much from logcat, but I got this (filtering on string 'readit'):

I/ActivityManager( 119): No longer want robj.readit.tome (pid 22510): hidden #22
I/WindowManager( 119): WINDOW DIED Window{4055d200 robj.readit.tome/robj.readit.tome.ReadItToMeActivity paused=false}
I/ActivityManager( 119): Start proc robj.readit.tome for service robj.readit.tome/.ReadItToMeService: pid=23392 uid=10078 gids={3002, 3001}
I/ActivityManager( 119): No longer want robj.readit.tome (pid 23392): hidden #16
I/ActivityManager( 119): Start proc robj.readit.tome for service robj.readit.tome/.ReadItToMeService: pid=25013 uid=10078 gids={3002, 3001}

hi,
atm the auto Bluetooth and auto call work seperately so u will still get calls read.. also did u disconnect ur device or did u disable Bluetooth? if its the latter I know the issue and I'll fix it. there are a few bugs atm.. I should have most sorted by tomorrow night :)

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA

crazyfool_1

Nov 25, 2010
bluetooth issue is fixed along with a bunch of other stuff.. let me know if anyone else has any issues..

FC1032

Aug 30, 2010
Sydney
Gonna try this out a few days later, have a few things to do at the moment.

This seems real useful :)

crazyfool_1

Nov 25, 2010
Is there a chance that an option could be included to disable the phones speakerphone if a headset, wired or bluetooth is connected ?
the app will read via the current audio stream so if your using headphones or Bluetooth the speaker shouldn't be used..

oneders65

Feb 12, 2008
Plainview, TX
Pandora would stop playing then sound would not play over speaker until I uninstalled the app.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

crazyfool_1

Nov 25, 2010
Pandora would stop playing then sound would not play over speaker until I uninstalled the app.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

did it not play at all or only after u received an SMS or call?
not sure how the app could affect Pandora as it speaks over the notification sound stream.. I'll install Pandora later as I don't use it and see what the issue was..

xain713

Jan 9, 2011
by any chance will it work for Google voice...i dont use my sms xD or somtime in the near future will it support it?

crazyfool_1

Nov 25, 2010
by any chance will it work for Google voice...i dont use my sms xD or somtime in the near future will it support it?

I'm more then happy to add in reading for any app which allows third parties to view their data.. whatsapp is encrypted unforetunately, gmail and gtalk dont have facilities for this either although gmail might open them back up to devs.. if google voice does then I'll add to the feature list

Reactions: californicated

Ma$etas

May 25, 2010
Southern CALI
trying this out but when i have my headphones on and i get a new text it reads me the text but i can hear it from my headphones but also the phones speaker at the same time how do i set it not to play from the speaker when headphones on?

crazyfool_1

Nov 25, 2010
trying this out but when i have my headphones on and i get a new text it reads me the text but i can hear it from my headphones but also the phones speaker at the same time how do i set it not to play from the speaker when headphones on?

this sounds like a rom issue.. I'll update the app tonight to resolve this..

GT247

Jun 27, 2010
Beautiful California
Thats interesting, Im going to have to try figuring out why notifications and ringtones still play through the handset when my bluetooth is enabled and connected...not looking forward to that because I can never figure anything out...hehehe

Sent from either my Tilt2 w/modded Sencity theme or my Streak5..but definitely not from my Evo 4G (which I hate) using XDA/tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [APP][4.3+] ReadItToMe 2.0 -Reads & Voice Reply to Whatsapp, SMS etc handsfree

attachment.php

What Is ReadItToMe
    Like alot of us I use my phone for music alot and I wanted to be able to hear who was texting me or calling without having to pull out my phone. There are a few apps which do this however I found them to be too bloated and I wanted to be able to have it run automatically when I needed it.
    Thats why I wrote ReadItToMe.

ReadItToMe reads out your incoming sms messages, incoming callers as well as notifications from any app on your phone. It can be set to do this automatically when you connect to a bluetooth device or you plug in your headphones, as well as over the speakerphone.

Voice Reply
    The latest update (2015) to ReadItToMe allows to you voice reply to Whatsapp, Hangouts, Gmail, Telegram and others.
    *Voice reply will remain a paid feature (the only paid feature) however it will be free during any betas and you will get a 2 week free trial with the live version

Translates Txt Speak
    ReadItToMe will also translate your text messages into proper english so you can understand whats being read.
    This means with ReadItToMe This:
    SMS from John saying: "btw dat woz amazin, I dunno y I wasn't gonna go lol"
    Becomes This:
    "New message received from John. By the way that was amazing, I don't know why I wasn't going to go laugh out loud' :D
    As well as that you can add your own words and translations easily through the UI.

Now on the Play Store
    • Massively overhauled the UI
    • Profiles are now shown in a list for easier management
    • Added an on-boarding process to make profiles easier to create
    • Added support for WiFi profiles
    • Numerous bug fixes & tweaks

Public Beta on Google Play
    Right confirmed the fix works, I've just published the update so it should be on the Play Store in a couple of hours :)
    Actually, it's a popup generated by ReadItToMe which you'll get if you haven't updated the app in a long time. The theory being people who pirate apps don't usually update their pirated copies so their more likely to see this message. Those people who have legit copies can go ahead to the Play Store and update their app. I implemented it as a more user friendly way of combating piracy rather than using all kinds of technical workarounds and obfuscation which will always be hacked :)
    Is it just me (am I doing something wrong) or are the "Read:" and "When:" settings global. i.e. If I set them for one profile it automatically changes them to same values in the other two profiles. The only things that you seem to be able to have different in the profiles are the "How:" settings.

I would like to be able to set it such that when the headphones or Bluetooth are connected it will read calls, sms and apps. But if neither is connected, to only read calls.

That does not seem to be possible. If I deselect "sms" in the default profile, it is automatically deselected in the other two profiles, etc.

Thanks in advance

BTW Great little app. I have paid for the pro version, based on its potential.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app
    You are correct the Profile is only for "How" because of the way different devices work, ie on headphones I need music stream but on bluetooth in the car I don't.

Atm what you want isn't possible but maybe in the future I'll extended profiles to include "What" as well :)
    very interested in this app right now i use an app called hands free texting for my in car texting (when needed of course) but it doesnt have the capability to read out gtalk messages so def going to try out your app later on today, just curious can you reply to gtalk messages with this or just sms?

thanks,
    Just sms mate but at some point I'm hoping to add reply for other services (which support it) so in future this may be possible

Can't test the app right at this moment, but is it possible to set per contact language in SMS? That would really be sweet!

I imagine if it's not it's the downside of knowing more than 1 language. :p
    It's not atm. It will just use your default phone language setting but maybe in a future version I can add this :)

/\ I'd like to know this as well, what will the paid version read? Gmail, email, gtalk? I think I'd be willing to pay if it will read gmail.

tkjeeper...out.
    It can read any notification from any app on your phone. Well, theoretically, there is the odd app which might not work but gmail, gtalk, email, whatsapp, falcon pro, k9 mail.. all what I'm currently using work fine :)

Ok, it's not happy on my Thunderbolt. Hasn't spoken the first SMS; just get the notification from the SMS app. Just F/C'd while I was going through the settings. This is not a flame or complaint, just an FYI. I do have Media volume @ 100%. And bluetooth is checked in settings.

I still have reservations that the phone itself plays nice with anything these days; i.e. it's mixing up my custom ringtones constantly. Waiting on my upgrade to come around. It's been a good phone up until a few months ago.

Do I also have to select people from the Contacts area for notifications to be spoken?
    Have you got the show icon option checked so you know its definitely running, and have you ticked the music stream option if you want it to use media volume? And yeah a few people have had FC's in the settings, not sure why but I'm looking into it