[stock firmware][D80020c] recovery friendly D80020c

Search This thread

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
This is for D800 (AT&T LG G2) users ONLY.

This package will update a phone with D80010d firmware to a "mixed" firmware that boots normally to D80020c (kitkat), but retains the older boot loader and compatibility with loki patched custom recoveries. The "normal" boot is 100% unmodified stock.

This "mixed" firmware is currently the only known way for a stock D80020c (kitkat) system that also allows custom recovery.

What's installed:
  • rpm, tz, modem, and system partitions from the stock D80020c (kitkat) LG G2 firmware.
  • LG's D80020c kernel, recompiled by @Savoca, and made compatible with the D80010d bootloader.

That will leave your existing D80010d boot loader (aboot) intact, as well as whatever custom recovery already installed.

This firmware package will (or at least should) refuse to install on ANY firmware other than the D80010d firmware. Please don't reply to this thread if you are using anything else. (That was as polite as I'll be on that issue...)

I STRONGLY suggest doing a full wipe on your device after flashing this. You don't have to, but it'd be a really good idea...

This is NOT my software. This is 100% LG's software and firmware. Don't ask for support in this thread. It won't be provided.

Instructions:
  1. Restore your phone to the stock LG G2 D80010d firmware. Please click "here" for directions. (remember that you have the AT&T device when reading that post...) If you don't like that post, here's a youtube video (not mine) for doing the same thing. Make sure you restore the D80010d firmware and _not_ the D80010o firmware!!

2. Root the device and install recovery (recovery is required, root is not.) This is a link for rooting instructions. While you are welcome to use CWM for your recovery, this is a link for installing TWRP recovery. (Since cyanogenMod took freely given contributions to their codebasse and went private/for-profit, I have a personal bias against them - so my personal recommendation is for TWRP.)

3. Copy the d80010d_to_20c.zip package linked below to your phone.

4. Reboot into recovery and install the d800_to_20c.zip package.

5. Optionally, also install a superSU or other root package.

6. Optionally, but suggested, Perform a "factory reset" on your device.

Download Links:
The main package (about 1.7GB): Dev-Host (md5: 7cfe7de4ab31f727b72178b8fb618fd3)

SuperSU: Direct from Chainfire's webpage

Credits:
Several people spent countless hours working on finding a way to get recovery working with LG's kitkat. The kernel used in this package was made by @Savoca - who used the solution found by @JackpotClavin. Others involved are (as far as I'm aware) @AndroidUser00110001 and @jakew02. Of course, @Chainfire for the 'su' package.

Source:
All the images in the recovery package are completely stock with the exception of the kernel and kernel modules. The kernel is modified and recompiled with only the following patch: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/an...mmit/7b6187a0e5fb8ca59888cacf5f5b863baa8d1064. (The installer overwrites the kernel images in /system with those from the kernel compile.) The base kernel source is found on LG's opensource website under the D800 heading.

May 2014 Update:

I'm no longer able to tinker with my G2. My wife took it from me (for her own use), and she gets angry when I mess up all her settings. ;)

(I ended up getting a HTC One M8 to tinker with.)

While I'll leave the thread unlocked so users can assist each other, please don't expect prompt responses from me or maintenance.

Last edited:

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
As soon as it's done downloading I will let you know that it works unless someone beats me to it that is

EDIT: Finally finished downloading I already flshed back to 10d rooted installed recovery and am now installing kk.zip

Re-Edit: just finished installing also just so you know flashing system only took about 2mins a little bit over that in terms of seconds anyways everything seems to be running fine ill report back tomorrow when its not 1am my time and can test things more thoroughly but I can confirm that everything flashes like its supposed to and also I like the little check you added where it says d80010d bootloader good!

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: garyd9

DowntownJeffBrown

Oct 15, 2012
Porter Indiana (Chicagoland)
Damn I wish I had waited for this before flashing kit Kat last week. Of will I'll just have to wait on a recovery compatible with kit Kat or go back to 4.2.2 and then flash this when I have time.

>^·^< Sent From MEOW G2

FlyingColors

Sep 16, 2012
Okay, so let me get this straight before I do anything. I'm currently running a custom rom right now, do I still need to revert to stock and install a custom recovery again, or can I just copy the stock kitkat zip to my phone and install from my current recovery?

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay, so let me get this straight before I do anything. I'm currently running a custom rom right now, do I still need to revert to stock and install a custom recovery again, or can I just copy the stock kitkat zip to my phone and install from my current recovery?
What is step #1 on the instructions?

You can do whatever you want with your phone. It won't impact me whatsoever. However, that has nothing to do with what I posted.

Reactions: kimtyson

xLordNitro

Jun 11, 2012
Sigh...on every single KitKat Stock ROM ive tried so far...Bluetooth kills the battery, i mean it massacres it. I really dont get what the issue is...some sort of wakelock?

FlyingColors

Sep 16, 2012
What is step #1 on the instructions?

You can do whatever you want with your phone. It won't impact me whatsoever. However, that has nothing to do with what I posted.

I'm just trying to get some clarification so I don't have to go out and spend $400 on a new phone.

Would you rather be unaware of what your doing and then break your phone or be cautious and ask a question to the man in charge even if it makes you look like an idiot. I thought so...sorry for wasting your time.

Reactions: chaz411

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
I'm just trying to get some clarification so I don't have to go out and spend $400 on a new phone.

Would you rather be unaware of what your doing and then break your phone or be cautious and ask a question to the man in charge even if it makes you look like an idiot. I thought so...sorry for wasting your time.

It clearly says on step #1-
Instructions:
1. Restore your phone to the stock LG G2 D80010d firmware. Please click "here" for directions. (remember that you have the AT&T device when reading that post...) If you don't like that post, here's a youtube video (not mine) for doing the same thing. Make sure you restore the D80010d firmware and _not_ the D80010o firmware!!

So obviously the first step is to flash back to 10d it cannot get any simpler than that

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
Instructions:

So obviously the first step is to flash back to 10d it cannot get any simpler than that

more people asking questions that have already been answered. then when you point out that their question has already been answered they say they are trying to clarify even though it's already been clarified in the OP. it's a phenomenon on xda.

Reactions: garyd9

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Sigh...on every single KitKat Stock ROM ive tried so far...Bluetooth kills the battery, i mean it massacres it. I really dont get what the issue is...some sort of wakelock?
I've seen that people have reported that issue on the D802, but I have to admit that I haven't seen the issue whatsoever on the my own D800. I have bluetooth on 100% of the time, and connected twice a day (on my commute to work and my commute back - each about 45 minutes.) My battery on 4.4.2 is about the same as what it was on 4.2.2 - however, "bluetooth" does show up higher on the battery app list of what is using power. Yet, it doesn't seem to have any real impact on overall battery life.

What are you basing the statement that BT is killing the battery on? Some of those OEM batter apps (like the LG one and even the android built-in one) are often misleading. For example, at least with 4.2.2, my phone wouldn't show "pandora" as a battery user (instead blaming 'android system.)

Of course, it's also possible that, for your environment, something really is causing BT to use up more battery than it should. There are several services related to BT, including the newer GATT/ATT (not related to AT&T) calls. (They are related to low power profiles.) It's possible that *something* in your environment is interacting with the phone or one of those services in such a way to cause issue... I'd suggest getting betterBatteryStats, install the piece needed for it to work properly with kitkat, and getting more detailed information from that. (When I say "environment", I mean the physical space around you, the software on your phone, or anything that may influence RF, light, sound, etc around your phone.)

...and I'm trying to give EXTREMELY clear and detailed instructions so that people don't have to replace their phone. In fact, my instructions take a paranoid approach.

However, your question is essentially asking if you could skip steps. Does a "cautious" person skip steps?

Well, you can - assuming you know EXACTLY which partitions are installed on your phone, EXACTLY where they came from, EXACTLY what version they are, and you are 100% sure that they all match what is required. Of course, if you already had all that information, then you wouldn't feel the need to ask the question, as you'd obviously be "geeky" enough to not even really need a recovery package to install it.

Don't come into this thread asking if you can skip steps and then say you want to protect the investment in your phone. As well, don't get an attitude with me if I don't put my entire life on hold, and spell out to you the very same directions that are on the first post on this thread. Don't want to follow them? Fine. Don't. Honestly, I could NOT care less what happens to your phone if you don't want to follow the instructions I typed out.

You can read. I know this, as your question was in the context of the thread. Are you one of those people who will install kitkat, won't bother to "factory reset" the phone, and then complain that things don't work properly?

Edit: On second thought, FlyingColors, please don't install the package from this post. I get no benefit if you do, but you've already been a burden. I'd rather you continue to use whatever "custom rom" you are using. It's obviously something you are happy with (as you don't want to restore your phone to stock), and I don't have the patience to answer questions when I've already taken the time to give the answers.

By the way, as you want "clarification": It's not a "rom." It's not even a "ROM." At best, it's "firmware." If it was "ROM", you wouldn't be able to change it. Read Only Memory.

Last edited:

xLordNitro

Jun 11, 2012
I've seen that people have reported that issue on the D802, but I have to admit that I haven't seen the issue whatsoever on the my own D800. I have bluetooth on 100% of the time, and connected twice a day (on my commute to work and my commute back - each about 45 minutes.) My battery on 4.4.2 is about the same as what it was on 4.2.2 - however, "bluetooth" does show up higher on the battery app list of what is using power. Yet, it doesn't seem to have any real impact on overall battery life.

What are you basing the statement that BT is killing the battery on? Some of those OEM batter apps (like the LG one and even the android built-in one) are often misleading. For example, at least with 4.2.2, my phone wouldn't show "pandora" as a battery user (instead blaming 'android system.)

Of course, it's also possible that, for your environment, something really is causing BT to use up more battery than it should. There are several services related to BT, including the newer GATT/ATT (not related to AT&T) calls. (They are related to low power profiles.) It's possible that *something* in your environment is interacting with the phone or one of those services in such a way to cause issue... I'd suggest getting betterBatteryStats, install the piece needed for it to work properly with kitkat, and getting more detailed information from that. (When I say "environment", I mean the physical space around you, the software on your phone, or anything that may influence RF, light, sound, etc around your phone.)

Well i had this problem even when i had apps installed on a different Stock KITKAT rom created by someone. I DID NOT have this problem on the official OTA from AT&T, or on the PowerUser KitKat ROM but that had so many things missing that ireally did enjoy, maybe ill download the pack with the removed apps. So i decided to rewipe everything, ReFlash stock Jellybean and reroot and do everything all over again and then i flashed this, same problem. Bluetooth is completely off, i rarely use it. It went from 100%-60% within 1 hour of just standby, didnt even use the phone. Look at the stats and Bluetooth has been keeping the CPU awake the whole time. So i did what someone suggested, turned it on and off and rebooted. Same problem. Went back to JB, no issues.

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013

Well i had this problem even when i had apps installed on a different Stock KITKAT rom created by someone. I DID NOT have this problem on the official OTA from AT&T, or on the PowerUser KitKat ROM but that had so many things missing that ireally did enjoy, maybe ill download the pack with the removed apps. So i decided to rewipe everything, ReFlash stock Jellybean and reroot and do everything all over again and then i flashed this, same problem. Bluetooth is completely off, i rarely use it. It went from 100%-60% within 1 hour of just standby, didnt even use the phone. Look at the stats and Bluetooth has been keeping the CPU awake the whole time. So i did what someone suggested, turned it on and off and rebooted. Same problem. Went back to JB, no issues.

after you went back to jb then rooted and installed custom recovery then flashed this firmware, did you do a factory reset upon first boot? meaning did you get past the initial set up then go to settings/backup and restore and reset the phone? if not then that could be your problem. the factory reset does indeed reset everything after you initially install kitkat. it worked for me also, i had mms issues every time i initially installed kk. after a factory reset the mms is resolved.

Last edited:

xLordNitro

Jun 11, 2012
Yep, did that. Still same problem. So im assuming its something to do with the files themselves, and maybe the fixes that are being done to keep recovery. I dont know. But im back on Jellybean for now, i cant let my battery take that huge a hit.

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Well i had this problem even when i had apps installed on a different Stock KITKAT rom created by someone. I DID NOT have this problem on the official OTA from AT&T, or on the PowerUser KitKat ROM but that had so many things missing that ireally did enjoy, maybe ill download the pack with the removed apps. ... . It went from 100%-60% within 1 hour of just standby, didnt even use the phone.
Wow. That's REALLY strange. I wonder why it's impacting only some users, and not all. (It would make sense that if it happens when BT is turned off, it would impact 100% of users.) Something else that's odd is that it happens with this, but not with the OTA. Even more strange is that it happens with that other "stock kitkat" firmware, as that essentially is the OTA with zero changes - it's even using the OTA provided bootloader and kernel.

I'm not really sure how to guide you on troubleshooting this. Anything I might suggest would take a few days of reverting and flashing various things, and I somehow doubt you'd want to spend the rest of your life doing random experiments for me. ;) Perhaps you should try that poweruser firmware with things added one at a time - as you suggested.

Take care
Gary

FlyingColors

Sep 16, 2012

...and I'm trying to give EXTREMELY clear and detailed instructions so that people don't have to replace their phone. In fact, my instructions take a paranoid approach.

However, your question is essentially asking if you could skip steps. Does a "cautious" person skip steps?

Well, you can - assuming you know EXACTLY which partitions are installed on your phone, EXACTLY where they came from, EXACTLY what version they are, and you are 100% sure that they all match what is required. Of course, if you already had all that information, then you wouldn't feel the need to ask the question, as you'd obviously be "geeky" enough to not even really need a recovery package to install it.

Don't come into this thread asking if you can skip steps and then say you want to protect the investment in your phone. As well, don't get an attitude with me if I don't put my entire life on hold, and spell out to you the very same directions that are on the first post on this thread. Don't want to follow them? Fine. Don't. Honestly, I could NOT care less what happens to your phone if you don't want to follow the instructions I typed out.

You can read. I know this, as your question was in the context of the thread. Are you one of those people who will install kitkat, won't bother to "factory reset" the phone, and then complain that things don't work properly?

Edit: On second thought, FlyingColors, please don't install the package from this post. I get no benefit if you do, but you've already been a burden. I'd rather you continue to use whatever "custom rom" you are using. It's obviously something you are happy with (as you don't want to restore your phone to stock), and I don't have the patience to answer questions when I've already taken the time to give the answers.

By the way, as you want "clarification": It's not a "rom." It's not even a "ROM." At best, it's "firmware." If it was "ROM", you wouldn't be able to change it. Read Only Memory.

Too late, I've already installed it and successfully have Kitkat. Even though you probably don't like me, thank you.

edgarttr

May 17, 2010
Problems going back to other rom

I was running flex rom before end flash kk end the motion sensor calibration work but doesn't work on my other roms only work on kk only. :eek: please fix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for D800 (AT&T LG G2) users ONLY.

This package will update a phone with D80010d firmware to a "mixed" firmware that boots normally to D80020c (kitkat), but retains the older boot loader and compatibility with loki patched custom recoveries. The "normal" boot is 100% unmodified stock.

This "mixed" firmware is currently the only known way for a stock D80020c (kitkat) system that also allows custom recovery.

What's installed:
    • rpm, tz, modem, and system partitions from the stock D80020c (kitkat) LG G2 firmware.
    • LG's D80020c kernel, recompiled by @Savoca, and made compatible with the D80010d bootloader.

That will leave your existing D80010d boot loader (aboot) intact, as well as whatever custom recovery already installed.

This firmware package will (or at least should) refuse to install on ANY firmware other than the D80010d firmware. Please don't reply to this thread if you are using anything else. (That was as polite as I'll be on that issue...)

I STRONGLY suggest doing a full wipe on your device after flashing this. You don't have to, but it'd be a really good idea...

This is NOT my software. This is 100% LG's software and firmware. Don't ask for support in this thread. It won't be provided.

Instructions:

2. Root the device and install recovery (recovery is required, root is not.) This is a link for rooting instructions. While you are welcome to use CWM for your recovery, this is a link for installing TWRP recovery. (Since cyanogenMod took freely given contributions to their codebasse and went private/for-profit, I have a personal bias against them - so my personal recommendation is for TWRP.)

3. Copy the d80010d_to_20c.zip package linked below to your phone.

4. Reboot into recovery and install the d800_to_20c.zip package.

5. Optionally, also install a superSU or other root package.

6. Optionally, but suggested, Perform a "factory reset" on your device.

Download Links:
    The main package (about 1.7GB): Dev-Host (md5: 7cfe7de4ab31f727b72178b8fb618fd3)

SuperSU: Direct from Chainfire's webpage

Credits:
    Several people spent countless hours working on finding a way to get recovery working with LG's kitkat. The kernel used in this package was made by @Savoca - who used the solution found by @JackpotClavin. Others involved are (as far as I'm aware) @AndroidUser00110001 and @jakew02. Of course, @Chainfire for the 'su' package.

Source:
    All the images in the recovery package are completely stock with the exception of the kernel and kernel modules. The kernel is modified and recompiled with only the following patch: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/an...mmit/7b6187a0e5fb8ca59888cacf5f5b863baa8d1064. (The installer overwrites the kernel images in /system with those from the kernel compile.) The base kernel source is found on LG's opensource website under the D800 heading.

May 2014 Update:

I'm no longer able to tinker with my G2. My wife took it from me (for her own use), and she gets angry when I mess up all her settings. ;)

(I ended up getting a HTC One M8 to tinker with.)

While I'll leave the thread unlocked so users can assist each other, please don't expect prompt responses from me or maintenance.
    switched main package link to dev-host

added "source" section.

... and also I like the little check you added where it says d80010d bootloader good!
    It's actually checking that loki_patch reports a d80010d bootloader. If not, it'll abort flashing.

Instructions: