4.4.3 evaluation

Search This thread

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
It would be nice and really useful if someone who is long enough on totally stock T-mobile 4.4.3 could evaluate his user experience with the upgrade. There are so many unconfirmed rumors on issues and malfunctions of 4.4.3 that objective opinion is needed before taking an OTA.

Groid

May 7, 2010
I am unlocked and rooted on T-Mo, but I have not had any issues or malfunctions on 4.4.3. It seems fast and stable and I've had good battery life. What issues have you heard about? I would be happy to test any that are reported.

Reactions: piskr

scorpion667

Jul 26, 2011
Toronto
I am unlocked and rooted on T-Mo, but I have not had any issues or malfunctions on 4.4.3. It seems fast and stable and I've had good battery life. What issues have you heard about? I would be happy to test any that are reported.

How does that compare to 4.4.2?
I am experiencing all those things on 4.4.2

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V

Glad to hear that. Issues that are mostly reported for 4.4.3 are battery drain, difficult regarding wifi and gps connection, lag in dialer app, sms issues and sometimes ocassionaly crash. But hopefully Motorola is not affected.

Mitalis

Jun 12, 2010
I'm running the XT1053 stock unrooted and running 4.4.3. The only issue I've noticed of those that you mentioned is the battery drain.
3y2uzy8y.jpg

ujoty

Jul 8, 2008
I'm using it since the OTA has been published and I must say that battery life is awesome, way better than on 4.4.2. I had some issues, after couple days after I applied OTA I couldn't enable WiFi AP, got "Error" nothing more. But factory reset helped. Now the only issue I notice is that some time when I exit an application with back button for very short time I see something I had run earlier. I didn't noticed any dialer lag.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

SanD-82

Nov 10, 2013
Moto G40 / G60
This topic is of great interest to me...
Actually, the main issue I have with 4.4.2 is the horrible battery life...
4.4.2 power consumption seems to be 50-75% higher than on 4.2.2, with equivalent usage...
I've also noticed the 'back' issue that displays for a second another app...
Have you activated ART ?

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

ujoty

Jul 8, 2008
No. I'm on dalvik, rooted and gravitybox. I don't use any battery saving apps, GPS on device only, location reporting off, WiFi scanning off. I easily get 2 days of battery life which was almost impossible on 4.4.2.

scorpion667

Jul 26, 2011
Toronto
This topic is of great interest to me...
Actually, the main issue I have with 4.4.2 is the horrible battery life...
4.4.2 power consumption seems to be 50-75% higher than on 4.2.2, with equivalent usage...
I've also noticed the 'back' issue that displays for a second another app...
Have you activated ART ?

It's your usage/config, not 4.4.2

I get amazing battery life on 4.4.2 stock ROM/Kernel.
Either 30+ hours standby with 6.5hour screen on time (sometimes 7 hours) or 28+ hours and 5 hours+ screen time with a crapload of syncs running.

my syncs:
Hotmail Push
Gmail Push
Facebook
Facebook Messenger
Whatsapp
Viber
Telegram
Tapatalk
Google Now
Contacts
Keep
Tinder
Dropbox

Obviously because of all these syncs I have a lot of wakelocks and my Android OS usage is high but I still get 5 hours screen on time and 24+ hours standby easily.

Last edited:

Groid

May 7, 2010
I think the low light camera performance is greatly improved and the battery life is a little better. I leave gps, wifi, and bluetooth on, google location services off, use Assist at home for hands-free call answering and text reading/responding and charge the phone about every other day. My usage is generally light to moderate.

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008

Either 30+ hours standby with 6.5hour screen on time (sometimes 7 hours) or 28+ hours and 5 hours+ screen time with a crapload of syncs running.

*snip*

Obviously because of all these syncs I have a lot of wakelocks and my Android OS usage is high but I still get 5 hours screen on time and 24+ hours standby easily.

So, here's my question: with all that, do you have any intentions of moving to 4.4.3 when it's available for your variant from Rogers? Planning to do some testing up front (with a solid backup of your current system, of course) and see if it's worth keeping for a longer period of time, or have you already decided to just skip it and stick with your 4.4.2 heavily debloated version?

Last edited:

scorpion667

Jul 26, 2011
Toronto
So, here's my question: with all that, do you have any intentions of moving to 4.4.3 when it's available for your variant from Rogers? Planning to do some testing up front (with a solid backup of your current system, of course) and see if it's worth keeping for a longer period of time, or have you already decided to just skip it and stick with your 4.4.2 heavily debloated version?

I'll try it once it's available for Rogers, absolutely.
With Titanium backup it only takes me 15-20 minutes from start to finish to fully set up a ROM so it's no big deal.

Unfortunately the Moto X is not on Roger's priority list so it may take a while. They discontinued it as sales were sub-par.

SanD-82

Nov 10, 2013
Moto G40 / G60

my syncs:
Hotmail Push
Gmail Push
Facebook
Facebook Messenger
Whatsapp
Viber
Telegram
Tapatalk
Google Now
Contacts
Keep
Tinder
Dropbox

Hello, thanks for your feedback...
Please, don't take this message the wrong way. English is my second language, so I'd like to clear that out, I don't want to sound aggresive at all.

But I had the MotoX running JB for about 6 months before upgrading to kitkat...
I had a very solid idea of an average consumption, which was about 20 hours of mix usage, and 2 hours of screen usage...
That would leave me with about half battery left... I'd use wifi only at home...
That was pretty consistant, I'd only charge the phone at the office, and then I would not need to plug it until the next day...

Since I upgraded to kitkat 4.4.2, I cannot get those numbers anymore... Usage is the same...
So when I say that to me kitkat is affecting my battery life, it's because I see that behaviour...
It's not something that I feel, o think... When you see about 50% battery left with only 1 hour of screen time, it's significant would not you say?...

After installing the OTA, I did a Hard Reset because I thougth something went wrong...
But nothing changed...

That's why I'm expecting this fix...
I've also noticed that maybe kk is more sensitive for the quality of the signal the phone receives...

Cheers...

And I edit the message, because I forgot to mention: phone tends to get warmer than on JB...

Last edited:

scorpion667

Jul 26, 2011
Toronto
Hello, thanks for your feedback...
Please, don't take this message the wrong way. English is my second language, so I'd like to clear that out, I don't want to sound aggresive at all.

But I had the MotoX running JB for about 6 months before upgrading to kitkat...
I had a very solid idea of an average consumption, which was about 20 hours of mix usage, and 2 hours of screen usage...
That would leave me with about half battery left... I'd use wifi only at home...
That was pretty consistant, I'd only charge the phone at the office, and then I would not need to plug it until the next day...

Since I upgraded to kitkat 4.4.2, I cannot get those numbers anymore... Usage is the same...
So when I say that to me kitkat is affecting my battery life, it's because I see that behaviour...
It's not something that I feel, o think... When you see about 50% battery left with only 1 hour of screen time, it's significant would not you say?...

After installing the OTA, I did a Hard Reset because I thougth something went wrong...
But nothing changed...

That's why I'm expecting this fix...
I've also noticed that maybe kk is more sensitive for the quality of the signal the phone receives...

Cheers...

And I edit the message, because I forgot to mention: phone tends to get warmer than on JB...

Ok, I'll PM you and assist with resolving the battery life issues.
[edit] I sent the PM but when I go to sent PM's it shows 0 so I am not sure if XDA is having problems with PM. If you have not received anything just reply here and I will resend.

Last edited:

SanD-82

Nov 10, 2013
Moto G40 / G60
How long does your x take to clear cache partition from stock recovery?
Mine takes a long time, a minute or more... Then reboots...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No. I'm on dalvik, rooted and gravitybox. I don't use any battery saving apps, GPS on device only, location reporting off, WiFi scanning off. I easily get 2 days of battery life which was almost impossible on 4.4.2.