Serial port of XDA

Search This thread

sjaeger

Feb 3, 2003
Germany
www.microsensys.de
Hello, all,

we try to connect to the serial port of the XDA, but I cannot open the port COM1: :(

We have the proper connector, but I have no chance to open the port by software. What can be the reason, do I have to make something on the connectors (bridges ?).

Thanks a lot ...

eladsalad

Jan 20, 2003
i initially had this problem using windows xp. i fixed it by changing the settings of the resources (I/O Range and IRQ) COM1 uses in the device manager.

hope this helps.

sjaeger

Feb 3, 2003
Germany
www.microsensys.de
Thanks, but I do NOT mean the serial port of any connected PC, I mean the serial port at the bottom of XDA.

I programmed it by embedded VC, on other devices this works, but the phone edition seems to disable the port. I can see COM1: in the registry, but it's not getting active.

I read, that I need a null-modem cable, but this also wasn't sucessfull. What should be inside the cable to communicate with any serial device outside the XDA?

Thanks

G

Make sure the IR port isn't grabbing COM1:

Start/Settings/Connections Tab/Beam
"Receive all incoming beams and select discoverable mode" should be left unchecked. In addition, close (via Settings/System Tab/Memory/Running Programs Tab/Stop) any driver software for accessories like keyboards that connect to the sync/charge port. Then you should be able to connect to COM1.

With respect to a Null Modem: You need to also hardwire some handshaking lines together, so don't abandon the null modem.

sjaeger

Feb 3, 2003
Germany
www.microsensys.de
Hi,

thanks for the first replies. I already switched off the IrDA, and I can open the COM1: of XDA. Everything seems okay, but no data on TX...

I saw the connector layout on this site, but can (want) somebody to tell me the layout, if I want to do serial data-connection to an external device(not activesync)? I think, I need more hardwires than known by me....

I connected:

RTS (pin 9) with CTS (pin 7)
DCD (pin 6) with DTR (pin 11)
RX (pin 10)
TX (pin 8)
GND (pin 16)

What else can I do ????

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
sjaeger said:
I connected:

RTS (pin 9) with CTS (pin 7)
DCD (pin 6) with DTR (pin 11)
RX (pin 10)
TX (pin 8)
GND (pin 16)

I would attempt to connect DCD to the DTR of the computer at the other end, but am unsure whether this woud make a difference.

We experienced problems with the sreial port in older versions of the ROM. if I remember correctly, things didn't work in 3.00.xx. But I doubt you're using something that old.

Good luck...

G

Thanks,

but are there any other bridges/hardwires inside to do inside the connector to acivate the serial activity of the port ?

sjaeger

Feb 3, 2003
Germany
www.microsensys.de
Thanks,

but are there any other bridges/hardwires inside to do inside the connector to acivate the serial activity of the port ?

I also don't have a PC on the other side, it's a device, which has no handshaking ability... :(

G

sjaeger said:
Thanks, but I do NOT mean the serial port of any connected PC, I mean the serial port at the bottom of XDA.

I programmed it by embedded VC, on other devices this works, but the phone edition seems to disable the port. I can see COM1: in the registry, but it's not getting active.

I read, that I need a null-modem cable, but this also wasn't sucessfull. What should be inside the cable to communicate with any serial device outside the XDA?

Thanks
You do need a null modem adapter. If you are using one, it may not be a proper one.
Or you can use a "serial/modem interface cable" you can get from www.pc-mobile.net in the XDA page.

marko_serb

Apr 13, 2007
Does anybody know how to access the hardware serial port (on Blue Angel)? I can use IR (COM1) and Bluetooth (COM4) to send/recieve data, but the bottom pins don't give any voltage. I've tried other ports (to COM9) but the device hangs unless it's COM2.

Here's the test app, select port on the left and then click 'Open Port'. When the port is open, the device is showing what is read at the port. You can click 'Salji' to start/stop sending dummy data via port or "Lista Portova" to list the available ports.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T36RIZKE

muckelmaus

Jan 11, 2008
NRW
Does anybody know how to access the hardware serial port (on Blue Angel)? I can use IR (COM1) and Bluetooth (COM4) to send/recieve data, but the bottom pins don't give any voltage. I've tried other ports (to COM9) but the device hangs unless it's COM2.

Here's the test app, select port on the left and then click 'Open Port'. When the port is open, the device is showing what is read at the port. You can click 'Salji' to start/stop sending dummy data via port or "Lista Portova" to list the available ports.

You have to deactivate IR to get Serial Port working, as thay use the same port!
(Settings/Connections/Beam/deactivate Receive all incoming beams )

Reactions: marko_serb

marko_serb

Apr 13, 2007
I've tried that, when "Receive all incoming beams" is enabled - COM1 is invisible to the program and reports error, when disabled - the IR becomes COM1 :(

marko_serb

Apr 13, 2007
Thanks! I'll give it a try as soon as I find a way to disable IR (and find some time to play with it) :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You have to deactivate IR to get Serial Port working, as thay use the same port!
    (Settings/Connections/Beam/deactivate Receive all incoming beams )