[Q] SMS on computer

Search This thread

N00b-un-2

Jan 29, 2011
Glendale
ryancuda.blogspot.com
I recently discovered the ability to send and receive text messages (SMS) through my computer using a variety of methods. The first was DesktopSMS which worked great until I did a clean install of Ubuntu on my computer. Even though I've installed Java (I had to add the repos from Maverick to grab the sun-java6-jdk). No luck with either openjdk or the proprietary version, on Ubuntu 11.04 at least. Haven't tested on Win7 yet but I'd assume it works.
The other method is EasySMS which works fine through any browser but I don't like using it because a) it is a paid app and I don't like ad's and banners and b) it requires wifi to be turned on in order to work, whereas DesktopSMS does not.
The issue I'm having with DesktopSMS is that whenever I execute the .jar file, the GUI loads as normal but the list of contacts never populates even if it connects properly (executing the .jar file in the terminal provides a lot of output that indicates it is connected properly)
Does anyone have any clue what I have to do to get DesktopSMS working again?

N00b-un-2

Jan 29, 2011
Glendale
ryancuda.blogspot.com
Strange behavior from my phone. When I open Desktop SMS on my computer and connect to my phone, it connects properly and in the status bar at the bottom it actually displays the time stamps of the SMS on my phone. When I open the xml file that is generated, I can find strings in the XML tags that contain SMS messages, but still no contacts will load in desktop SMS, either on Linux or Windows. very strange. I tried wiping my fine and reflashing both a custom rom and back to stock just to be sure. Same behavior every time.

D

doktornotor

Uh. Why are you wiping ROM? Just use a different utility. (Remote Web Desktop or whatever, there are tons of them.)

N00b-un-2

Jan 29, 2011
Glendale
ryancuda.blogspot.com
apparently you can easily use easy SMS via USB. all you need to do is set up port forwarding via ADB using the following command
Code:
 adb forward tcp:2511 tcp:2511
and then just open any web browser to 127.0.0.01:2511. It's that easy!