Clarivue hd glass on sale, $30

• Thread starter paranoidsuperhero
  • Start date
Search This thread

Wbroshea

Apr 19, 2010
No, that's not right. It covers the side and part of the curved edge. I was very specific when I asked. Here's the email response I got:

I was issued my 50% refund today, now I'm just waiting for them to get their new supply.

So are you saying the response you received leads you to believe that the actual protector is CURVED at the edges to conform to the curved screen or do you think the completely FLAT protector extends over the curve of the screen at the edge as we have seen in pics of other protectors?

I wasn't sure.

ctscloud

Jul 18, 2011
So are you saying the response you received leads you to believe that the actual protector is CURVED at the edges to conform to the curved screen or do you think the completely FLAT protector extends over the curve of the screen at the edge as we have seen in pics of other protectors?

I wasn't sure.

I'm not sure why people buy this stuff really, particularly from this company. They say it's a sale but it's almost the same price as xgears price, for example. Does that mean this one is better?

On topic, if they made it curved, it would cost much more than what we're seeing. You can check other tempered glass from other smartphones (e.g. Iphone 5) which have similar pricing.

I wish I could have gotten a sample from them to show you guys first, but they just told me to get in line with the rest of you. Oh well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

juicyjones

Nov 16, 2012
Seattle

I wasn't sure.

Well yes because I asked if it was flat and ended at the flat partner curved and covered then tapered edges, and that was the response I got.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Wbroshea

Apr 19, 2010
I'm not sure why people buy this stuff really, particularly from this company. They say it's a sale but it's almost the same price as xgears price, for example. Does that mean this one is better?

On topic, if they made it curved, it would cost much more than what we're seeing. You can check other tempered glass from other smartphones (e.g. Iphone 5) which have similar pricing.

I wish I could have gotten a sample from them to show you guys first, but they just told me to get in line with the rest of you. Oh well.

First of all I also tend to believe that it is going to be completely flat. However I find it very ironic that in the same post you complain about them stating the normal price is higher than the competitions and questioning whether it is better, you go on to say that if the glass is really curved it would cost more. Which of course would lead right back to the item having a higher base price. Sure it is most likely their marketing strategy however no one knows yet except for Clarivue. After it has been released the rest of us will know for sure.

ctscloud

Jul 18, 2011
First of all I also tend to believe that it is going to be completely flat. However I find it very ironic that in the same post you complain about them stating the normal price is higher than the competitions and questioning whether it is better, you go on to say that if the glass is really curved it would cost more. Which of course would lead right back to the item having a higher base price. Sure it is most likely their marketing strategy however no one knows yet except for Clarivue. After it has been released the rest of us will know for sure.

I'm not sure why you think it's ironic. I guess I need to break it down to the finest details for you to understand.

First, I never mentioned that their price was, or is higher than the competition. If anything it's similar to the competition after its so called discounts.

Second point, if we say that the glass is not curved /flat for example, (this is what has been in discussion in the previous pages...) then it would be valid to say that their marked up price is just a marketing strategy. Seems fair to me to say. If it is a marketing strategy, then could I go as far as question the difference in build and design of their product. Why buy their product if other similar products are featuring similar things?

Lastly, yes if the glass is curved, then the tooling alone would make their price before coupon a more reasonable price. So then, why not point out this feature if it is truly curved? If it's really curved, wouldn't you want to promote that as an unique and main difference to get their product above the rest? You even pointed out this for me, only Clarivue knows. They should point this out if it's curved, and since it's not up there. Is there any reason for me to believe it is curved?

Again, not sure where am I being ironic on but I did say if the glass was curved correct? I didn't say the glass WAS/IS curved... This would definitely fall in as me being ironic. But the fact that I said if, changes the meaning. It's pure speculation on my part, and I'm just taking both scenarios into consideration.

Wbroshea

Apr 19, 2010
First, I never mentioned that their price was, or is higher than the competition. If anything it's similar to the competition after its so called discounts.

I took your first sentence when you questioned the sale price as being the same as other competitors and asking if this one is better as meaning that since the normal (MSRP) price is $50 if must be better than the others that are normal priced at $30. Thus I assumed you didn't like that they are higher in their normal price. I believe my interpretation of your sentence is correct and that we have a misunderstanding on my use of normal price in my post.

Again, not sure where am I being ironic on but I did say if the glass was curved correct? I didn't say the glass WAS/IS curved... This would definitely fall in as me being ironic. But the fact that I said if, changes the meaning. It's pure speculation on my part, and I'm just taking both scenarios into consideration.

I fail to see how your first post takes into account both possibilities. It looks to me as you state your dislike of their pricing scheme in the first sentence (i.e. you dont like their higher normal (MSRP) price). Then in the second statement, which you separate by On topic ( which indicates to me you believe the first sentence is not on topic and rather a stand alone statement and unrelated to the second) you state your opinion that it isn't curved because the cost would be higher.

In my opinion it seems to me that you failed to connect the two sentences and completely overlook the possibility that the higher normal cost is because of the increase in production cost of the curved glass. I found it ironic that you made both statements in the same post, one right after another, but failed to connect the two which would have the potential to explain both statements.

As to your second post, I agree with most of what you said, however:

Second point, if we say that the glass is not curved /flat for example, (this is what has been in discussion in the previous pages...) then it would be valid to say that their marked up price is just a marketing strategy. Seems fair to me to say. If it is a marketing strategy, then could I go as far as question the difference in build and design of their product. Why buy their product if other similar products are featuring similar things?

Their are certainly differences between this product and others (I only know of xgear for the Nexus 4, please enlighten me if there are others as I would love to check them out). First Clarivue is clear throughout, no black border. No adhesive unlike xgear's. Supposed higher hardness rating (i find it unlikely or negligible but that is me), no shipping cost, earlier release date (now completely in question, but those that preordered are now getting it for $15 which is also certainly an advantage but only to those that have already preordered). I am sure there are others. Now it is up to the individual to weigh those differences to determine the value of the product or if there is any significant difference at all.

Personally I have tried Xgear on the galaxy nexus and mine came up in the middle because of the curved screen. Shouldn't be an issue on the Nexus 4 certainly, but I have already tried their product and am ready to try something else.

Lastly, yes if the glass is curved, then the tooling alone would make their price before coupon a more reasonable price. So then, why not point out this feature if it is truly curved? If it's really curved, wouldn't you want to promote that as an unique and main difference to get their product above the rest? You even pointed out this for me, only Clarivue knows. They should point this out if it's curved, and since it's not up there. Is there any reason for me to believe it is curved?

I also think they would want market it as such, but this has absolutely zero to do with your first post. Not really fair to bring up additional points when trying to validate your first post.

Your reason to believe it is curved would be the normal price being higher validating the higher cost to manufacture, the rep "ambiguously" saying that it would cover the edges with a small gap. Your evidence for not believing it is that none have been in the past, clarivue has not marketed it as such, the increased cost, and in my opinion the incredible difficulty with getting the curve right. You can believe one or the other, that is completely fine, but don't overlook the other side of the argument and claim there is nothing to it.

I'm not sure why you think it's ironic. I guess I need to break it down to the finest details for you to understand.

Obviously you took offense, otherwise I believe you wouldn't have attempted to insult me. I apologize as I didn't mean anything by my statement, I was just pointing out another possibility that I thought you had failed to identify. If it was the term ironic, I again apologize as I never even thought about being ironic as a bad thing. Shoot, I'm ironic all the time like how I think I need to lose some weight while I am eating a candy bar. :p Sorry for the book

Wbroshea

Apr 19, 2010
Well yes because I asked if it was flat and ended at the flat partner curved and covered then tapered edges, and that was the response I got.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

I must say that at first I did not read their response in the same manner as you. However after my online chat with them, I am starting to come around. Here is my chat transcript.

Alex] Hello, thank you for contacting Clarivue. Welcome to our live-support. This is Alex, how may I help you today?
[Me] Quick question. Is the Nexus 4 tempered glass protector, when it releases, will it be completely flat or is the actual protector curved to cover the curve of the nexus 4. There seems to be some differing opinions out there.
[Me] when i say curve of the nexus 4 I mean the sides
[Alex] There will be some slight curving of the edges to fit the screen.
[Me] So the glass of the protector will be curved? So if I sat the protector on a table with the protector would not lay flat. This would be awesome.
[Me] Sorry that was bad english
[Me] If I lay the protector on a table, the curved edges would cause the protector to not lay flat? So the shape is a very, very subtle upside down u?
[Alex] Yes, they will have a very slight curve as of our current design, though they may be changed closer to the release date.
[Me] Ok. Thank you for the info. Not that it matters but my vote is having the curve if possible. That would be incredible and would make it easily the best product available. Thanks again for your time.
[Alex] You're welcome William and we'll keep your opinion in mind
[Alex] Thank you for choosing Clarivue. Have a great day.
[Me] you too.

I'm not really sure that I adequately described the curved protector, but I did the best I could on such short notice since they were so fast to have someone there chatting with me. I THINK they understood my description so I am starting to agree that their original design is to have a curved piece of glass.

Based on their comment that the curve may change closer to the release date still makes me extremely skeptical that they will actually release it with a curve, but I do feel more comfortable believing the first iteration actually did have a curve. This curve of course could be the reason the first round was deemed poor and we are waiting for the new ones to get in. Just a thought.

DarkShot666

Dec 16, 2009
Just incase anyone was also wondering if the protector would have caused issues with cases, the same rep that replied to above said that it shouldn't.

[Alex] Hello, thank you for contacting Clarivue. Welcome to our live-support. This is Alex, how may I help you today?
[Rich] Hello there!

Had a quick question about your Glass screen protectors, specifically for the Nexus 4
[Alex] Sure
[Rich] I've read that it _might_ have a curve to it to go with the N4's screen, would this be the case? If so, would it also cause issues for those using bumpers and cases?
[Rich] I ask as most cases curve around the device, using their lip to hold it to the phone along said curved edges
[Alex] It should not cause any issue with bumpers or cases
[Rich] Fantastic. Glad to hear. One more quick thing, is there another set possible release date for the N4's Glass protector? I know it was delayed for QC issues, just wondering is all
[Alex] We will post and email all waiting list customers as soon as that information becomes available :)
[Rich] Wonderful.

Thanks a lot!

diablos991

Mar 14, 2010
I sure hope these come in soon.

The BSE skin I have now is working alright on the rear of my phone, but I sure would like something that doesn't make the phone feel cheap like the plastic screen protectors do.

DarkShot666

Dec 16, 2009
Asked to get an Ultra-Clear protector set in place of the refund, got it yesterday.

Rather pleased with it, and glad that I'll still be getting the HD Glass for a reasonable price.

dan40hands

Feb 3, 2011
dville, PA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a screen protector defeat the purpose of Gorilla Glass?

EDIT: This is disregarding the back glass which is vulnerable of course.

Last edited:

Wbroshea

Apr 19, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a screen protector defeat the purpose of Gorilla Glass?

From what I have seen and experienced, Gorilla Glass can certainly still be scratched and cracked. My reason for purchasing is that I would rather scratch and/or crack a $30 protector than the actual glass. Then I can sell the phone later as in perfect shape. The difference in price between one with no scratches vs one with scratches alone is usually enough to cover the cost of the screen protector at least in my experience.

dan40hands

Feb 3, 2011
dville, PA
From what I have seen and experienced, Gorilla Glass can certainly still be scratched and cracked. My reason for purchasing is that I would rather scratch and/or crack a $30 protector than the actual glass. Then I can sell the phone later as in perfect shape. The difference in price between one with no scratches vs one with scratches alone is usually enough to cover the cost of the screen protector at least in my experience.

Yeah I've seen it crack, but I took a box cutter to a Samsung s3 (don't ask why) and although it looked like a scratch, I wiped my finger over it and it disappeared. I'm still considering a screen protector out of fear though haha.

DarkShot666

Dec 16, 2009
Yeah I've seen it crack, but I took a box cutter to a Samsung s3 (don't ask why) and although it looked like a scratch, I wiped my finger over it and it disappeared. I'm still considering a screen protector out of fear though haha.

It's the whole better to have it and not need it argument.

Why not make the one time payment in the insurance? Because that's essentially what screen protectors and cases are: insurance for our devices.

jlear3

Aug 22, 2011

Gorilla glass is just harder glass. It won't scratch from metal but will definitely scratch... Most people would rather have scratches on something that's easily replaced ratger than a $400 phone...

Nexus 4
ATT Straight Talk $45/mo
running xylon nightlies 4.2.2 franco r83

^(subject to change often)^

nivlac978

May 26, 2010
Hudson

Most metal won't scratch it but sand will scratch it. Sand is harder than metal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

diablos991

Mar 14, 2010
I think the protection is most vital on the back of the phone. That glass seems very soft and prone to damage easily. Especially since I have a lot of tile surfaces in my house that I put my phone on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts