Can .mkv movies with DTS sound track be played on the Tab 7.7 ?

Search This thread

Earthbrain

Nov 30, 2008
San Diego, CA
I have tried the default video player but it cannot play .mkv movies with DTS sound track.

I can see the video part of the movie but so sound can be heard.

Is there a solution to this or do I have to convert my .mkv movies?

Edit: Actually DicePlayer and MX Player can play .mkv movies with DTS sound track.

Last edited:

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Dice Player does this too (and is a better player for the Tab 7.7 overall with better hardware decoding, not much in it though so pick whichever).

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
Dice Player does this too (and is a better player for the Tab 7.7 overall with better hardware decoding, not much in it though so pick whichever).

Just wondering what makes you think dice has better hardware decoding. I have not tried Dice yet but i have not run into a single problem with mx video player

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Just wondering what makes you think dice has better hardware decoding. I have not tried Dice yet but i have not run into a single problem with mx video player

On my Note and Galaxy Nexus some files don't play smoothly with mx player (they are very watchable, just not perfect like with Dice Player).

knights.JayTana

Jun 27, 2011
Davao City
Glad to see you here NZ... Haven't try the video part thoroughly... Anyway, MX is still good for me as of now... Thanks for the input about Dice...

sladeywadey

Feb 18, 2012
I am having mixed results on my 7.7 - vids with DTS stored on the SD card play nicely when using MX player when the audio stream is set to SW.

However, when the same videos are accessed over the network they are choppy if they play at all. Anyone else experiencing this? I've done some network analysis and the wifi isn't being maxed out or anything.

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this.

emailpeter

Sep 3, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I am having mixed results on my 7.7 - vids with DTS stored on the SD card play nicely when using MX player when the audio stream is set to SW.

However, when the same videos are accessed over the network they are choppy if they play at all. Anyone else experiencing this? I've done some network analysis and the wifi isn't being maxed out or anything.

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this.
@sladey,
There is another thread "wifi connections" that documents some slow streaming prob.
I had to experiment with wifi-g to wifi-n (both 2.4 & 5.0 ghz) to get a steady stream.

No fixed answer at moment as all above settings still hv some intermittent stutter.

Try wifi-g and slowly move up speed.

Cheers

jonamafun

Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
MX Video Player v1.6f. You'll have to google for the apk as it's an old version that supported DTS software decoding prior to it being pulled.

1chris89

yeah I tried them and they aren't supported on jellybean so I got diceplayer and used the special codec file and I can playback my 15GB .mkv's with DTS with no problem even running the cpu at 300mhz on my note 2 it plays back flawlessly on my 64gb ntfs microsd card. So it's DicePlayer that does it for JellyBean.

I appreciate your help though. :)