Printing from the Infinity (and Android in general)

Search This thread

brad0112358

Jun 20, 2012
If you are looking for a free solution, I have been using "Let's Print Droid" to print to my CUPS based linux print server and it works great for me. I still need to work up a filter on the CUPS side for office documents, but everything else I have wanted to print worked well. This solution relies on the server side to do the format conversion which makes sense to me but wouldn't work if you want to print directly to a wireless printer.

--Brad

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

dmets

Mar 25, 2011
I have been using Cloud Print with an HP CP1025 and it works great. Any app that can "share" can print. No need for integration into the app or exiting the current app to unnaturally open a printing program to then select what you want to print.

It allows you to print right where you are - just Share to Cloud Print. Also allows you to save as PDF in your Google Drive. We had been using it for some time on our phones and now on our tabs. Easy to use.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

nor-ric

Jul 9, 2012
HP ePrint Home & Biz - 4 stars - Prints Word, Excel, Powerpoint, photos, PDF and text files. Supports network and WiFi printers and shared printers from a Windows PC. Does not appear to support Google Drive, Box, DropBox, etc. App not updated since March.

I don't exactly get the point. Was the HP app previusly supposed to allow printing via a shared printer (i.e. non a wireless printer but a "normal" printer hooked up to a pc and shared)?

If this was the case, what's the situation now? Has HP deleted this feature?

I've also read the app description on googleplay and HP site but it's not clear. Thanks!

Last edited:

Splaktar

Aug 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
I don't exactly get the point. Was the HP app previusly supposed to allow printing via a shared printer (i.e. non a wireless printer but a "normal" printer hooked up to a pc and shared)?

If this was the case, what's the situation now? Has HP deleted this feature?

I've also read the app description on googleplay and HP site but it's not clear. Thanks!

Based on the updated description, it would appear to work. You may need some ePrint software installed on your PC. I would check the HP Support forums.

Darksurf

Mar 15, 2010
Seriously. What would it take to port cups to an android app? We need to add a GUI for when we "share" or send things to be printed. But why hasn't anyone done this yet?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

seesser

Jun 3, 2009
Fulton IL
I use the free version of printer share and have it linked to my Google cloud printer. This I have found to be the best choice for me as I have a main computer at my house that is always on (media and file server). I am able to print anything from web pages to full docs all from my tablet and my phone from anywhere in the world. Plus like I said I am using the free version so you can always try it out and see if it works for you.

Also not sure if you knew this about Google cloud printer but it will link to any printer you have on the computer that you are using with the chrome browser. So you don't need to buy a new printer just select it from the choices in the chrome setup.

One more thing that I found to be a great plus is that with printer share when you print a picture it gives you choices on the size of the photo and everything.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Thats OK

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Office Suite Pro has added print to its menu

So the latest update added print function directly from the app (as well as spell check) and some other good features. i'm really glad to see android apps continually adding features and getting closer to laptops...a step at a time.

tformed

Jun 23, 2010
I use this free app called Cortado Workplace for printing documents, it is able to connect to most printers. Haven't had luck with printer share.

Splaktar

Aug 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
No support for MS-office files
They send your file to their server (for conversion) and then back for printing.

Re: Zenofx - PrintBot

Yeah, that doesn't look too great. No office doc print support and no ability to print a certain set of pages. Plus quite a strict restriction on the free version: Free version allows printing of 3 images or PDF documents per month (maximum file size is 1MB)

Splaktar

Aug 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Hey guys,
I've been a member here for a few years without posting but thought I would chime in on this one.
I have been using PrintHand (on my tf700) with no problems to print to a wifi epson workforce 60. Its not a free app but it prints pdf, web pages, ms office, photos, etc. And it has a plethora of drivers for all the major brands.

can't post the link as a newb but its easy to find on the market

Looks like a fairly expensive app ($9.95) but it looks quite powerful and appears to support quite a wide range of features. Added to the list.

Splaktar

Aug 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
OK, sorry for letting the OP get a bit out of date. I've been busy with work and SGS2 ROM tweaks. It's all been updated now (links fixed, organized a bit better, app ratings update, new apps added).

Next time I'll try to start ranking the apps by rating and organizing it even more.

Reactions: flyhighx

tomcat420m

Jan 19, 2010
Port Huron
I have a EPSON Workforce 610. I have it running on my home network so all laptops & tablet, plus the phones can print. I use actually 2 different apps. I use epsons iprint because you can scan using the flat bed, or ADF(Automatic Document Feeder) can scan as jpeg or pdf for document. Then printershare cause effortlessly print a webpage, email, etc.

I would recommend that if you have compatible EPSON. For a great all round printing app is printershare, no need for laptop even print over web anywhere you are.

From my Swagged Out 3VO using XParent Blue Tapatalk

bjtheone

Sep 3, 2009
Kanata
Samsung mobile app works great for me, with a Samsung ml3050 (network attached printer). Supports all the printer options and allows for partial document printing.

bjmarler

Jul 8, 2010
I have been using the paid/full version of Printershare for the past severl years on my Android phone and tablets. It Just works GREAT.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking at using the Infinity as a replacement for a laptop/netbook for some of my less tech savvy family members. One of the primary considerations is that they still need to be able to easily print and scan documents. This was a major concern, so I've done some research on the topic that I wanted to share here.

The first app that I looked at was PrinterShare - 3.7 stars:

I was able to get the app working by installing the PrinterShare Windows application on my desktop and using that to share the printer remotely (over the internet) and via WiFi (via Apple's Bonjour service that they include). Google Cloud Print support. There is a limit of printing something like 20 pages per doc unless you pay $12.95 for the Premium Key. App updated in May 2013.

So I took a look at Epson's Iprint - 4.0 stars
    Epson supports a wide range of printers, but they are all still either network or WiFi printers:

Code:
    Printers Supported

Artisan 700
    Artisan 710
    Artisan 725
    Artisan 730
    Artisan 800
    Artisan 810
    Artisan 835
    Artisan 837
    Artisan 1430

Epson Stylus NX420
    Epson Stylus NX430
    Epson Stylus NX510
    Epson Stylus NX515
    Epson Stylus NX530
    Epson Stylus NX625
    Epson Stylus NX635

WorkForce 323
    WorkForce 325
    WorkForce 435
    WorkForce 520
    WorkForce 545
    WorkForce 600
    WorkForce 610
    WorkForce 615
    WorkForce 625
    WorkForce 630
    WorkForce 633
    WorkForce 635
    WorkForce 645
    WorkForce 840
    WorkForce 845
    WorkForce 7510
    WorkForce 7520

Epson Stylus Office BX305FW
    Epson Stylus Office BX310FN
    Epson Stylus Office BX525WD
    Epson Stylus Office BX535WD
    Epson Stylus Office BX600FW
    Epson Stylus Office BX610FW
    Epson Stylus Office BX625FWD
    Epson Stylus Office BX630FW
    Epson Stylus Office BX635FWD
    Epson Stylus Office BX935FWD
    Epson Stylus Office TX510FN
    Epson Stylus Office TX600FW
    Epson Stylus Office TX610FW

Epson Stylus Photo PX700W
    Epson Stylus Photo PX710W
    Epson Stylus Photo PX720WD
    Epson Stylus Photo PX730WD
    Epson Stylus Photo PX800FW
    Epson Stylus Photo PX810FW
    Epson Stylus Photo PX820FWD
    Epson Stylus Photo PX830FWD
    Epson Stylus Photo TX700W
    Epson Stylus Photo TX800FW

Epson Stylus Photo R2000
    Epson Stylus Photo R3000

Epson Stylus SX235W
    Epson Stylus SX420W
    Epson Stylus SX425W
    Epson Stylus SX430W/SX435W
    Epson Stylus SX440W/SX445W
    Epson Stylus SX510W
    Epson Stylus SX515W
    Epson Stylus SX525WD
    Epson Stylus SX535WD
    Epson Stylus SX600FW
    Epson Stylus SX610FW
    Epson Stylus SX620FW

Epson Stylus TX420W
    Epson Stylus TX550W

WorkForce Pro WP-4010
    WorkForce Pro WP-4020
    WorkForce Pro WP-4023
    WorkForce Pro WP-4530
    WorkForce Pro WP-4533
    WorkForce Pro WP-4540
    WorkForce Pro 4015DN
    WorkForce Pro 4025DW
    WorkForce Pro 4515DN
    WorkForce Pro 4525DNF
    WorkForce Pro 4535DWF
    WorkForce Pro 4545DTWF
    WorkForce Pro 4090
    WorkForce Pro 4095
    WorkForce Pro 4540
    WorkForce Pro 4595

ME OFFICE 900WD
    ME OFFICE 960FWD

The iPrint app on Android appears to support a far wider range of options and services. Box, Dropbox, Evernote and Google Docs are supported. Word, Excel, PDF, photos, scanning etc are all supported. It also explicitly states support for printing web pages directly from any browser.

Based on reviews, it appears that there are still some bugs to sort out with the app, but overall users are happier with printing from Android on Epson printers than Canon. Update added remote printing. App updated in April 2013..

Canon Easy-PhotoPrint- 3.3 stars:

I've been a big user of Canon products with the last 10+ years and have had relatively good luck with a number of their printers and cameras. Here is a list of Canon's supported printers:

Compatible models
    PIXMA MG6300 Series, PIXMA MG5400 Series, PIXMA MG4200 Series, PIXMA MG3200 Series, PIXMA iP7200 Series, PIXMA PRO-10, PIXMA PRO-100, PIXMA MX890 Series, PIXMA MX710 Series, PIXMA MX510 Series, PIXMA MX430 Series, PIXMA MG8200 Series, PIXMA MG6200 Series, PIXMA MG5300 Series, PIXMA MG4100 Series, PIXMA MG3100 Series, PIXMA MX880 Series, PIXMA MX420 Series, PIXMA MX410 Series, PIXMA MG8100 Series, PIXMA MG6100 Series, PIXMA MG5200 Series, PIXMA MP495/MP499, PIXMA MX870 Series, PIXMA MX350 Series, PIXMA MX340 Series, PIXMA MP990 Series, PIXMA MP640 Series and PIXMA MP560 Series

Some of the app reviews hit on some important points. This canon app does not appear to support Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc. It also appears that you cannot print web pages or files from the app. It will only print photos or PDF files scanned from the printer. There are a number of reports of users returning Canon printers due to their poor Android app and buying printers from OEMs with better Android app support. App updated December 2012.

So those are only 3 of the many options out there atm. There are apparently a number of other options including:

Cloud Print - 4.6 stars - Does appear to be similar to PrinterShare in that it requires a PC with a Windows service running. But it appears to support a number of languages if that's important to you. Share to app print support. Updated added ability to print Facebook photos and Dropbox and Box support. App updated in February 2013.

PrintHand Mobile Print - 4.0 stars - WiFi and Bluetooth printing. $9.95 Pro version via in app purchase. Free version only prints test pages. You can print Office documents (DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF, TXT), Images and photos, Emails and attachments, Web pages, Calendar, call log, text messages, Google Drive docs, Content from many other apps via Share to app, Facebook albums, Files from Box. Mac and Windows shared printer support. USB wired print support. Google Cloud Print. Update added support for more Epson and Kodak printers and bug fixes. App updated in May 2013.

Samsung Mobile Print - 4.0 stars - Prints photos, documents, Gmail attachments, and web pages. Scans. Supports only Google Drive for cloud. Supports only their network or WiFi printers, or printers shared via Windows PC. Updated with support for most all laser printers, new UI refresh, landscape mode for tablets, scanner support, fax support. App updated in February 2013.

HP ePrint Home & Biz - 4.0 stars - Prints Word, Excel, Powerpoint, photos, PDF and text files. Supports network and WiFi printers and shared printers from a Windows PC. Does not appear to support Google Drive, Box, DropBox, etc. Update added Jelly Bean support and web page printing. App updated in March 2013.

Cortado Workplace - 3.6 stars - Bluetooth Wifi, and shared printer support. Some sort of cloud printing support (does not specify Google or not). Email attachment print support. Update added ICS support and test page printing. App updated in April 2013.

Let's Print Droid - 3.3 stars - Google Cloud Print support. Can print PDFs, JPG, PNG images, Text Documents and static web pages. Share to app print support. Enterprise printer support. Update removed email print support due to bugs. App updated in April 2013.

Finally, I was most happy with the reviews and support from the Epson app. I've had one Epson printer in the past and it seemed to work fine enough. So I took a look at the prices on some of the supported printers. They range from about $80-140 on the low end and go up beyond $200 for the latest models. I found a number of used network printers online for around $45-70 as well.

I'm not too excited about replacing at least 2 of the family's printers just to support Android/Infinity printing, but the price does not seem to be too much of a problem. So this doesn't look like it will be a major barrier to me, but it will be a bit of trouble, re-training, and expense.
    member since 2010 and only 2 posts, this is incredible

LOL

Are you trying to provoke me? I'm not sure I understand the purpose of your post other than increasing your post count.

From what I've read of your posts, you offer little more than wild speculation and random banter. Not all of us find it necessary to run our mouths inexplicably. Like most other people on this forum, I'll contribute when I actually have something to say.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
    FYI............... seems HP latest "UPDATE to the WIRELESS PRINTING to any HP printer that has 'wireless capability' has been "updated to STOP THIS FEATURE!!!!

Seems weird that a MAJOR company wants to force users to "connect" those old printers to interenet , thus making them able to print via the new new HP feature called " web printing...................

seems stupid to make those good 'older' solutions STOP or BAR them from working to push pple to newer 'solutions' which often dont work
    ie , if your net conenctions go down = you cannot PRINT !!!!

so so weird ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that some crazy person decided to BAR / STOP users from using their HARDWARE

((( so anyone who has the Older version of iprint for HP ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dont UPDATE IT ( dont install updates from gplay store - it will work as before)))

>> just thought to post this tip here >... sorry to be a bit off topic !!

Whoa, I feel like I just read a Telegram :D

I would just like to say that PrintHand is 1/3 the price ($4.95 vs $12.95) of PrinterShare, does everything PrinterShare can do (wifi, bt, cloud) AND offers the option to connect to printers via USB for those that do not have a wireless or LAN printer available.

BTW, I am not affiliated with PrintHand in any way, I just researched/tried several printing options and while PrinterShare is totally functional it is overpriced.

If there are reasons to avoid PrintHand (i.e. privacy issues) please say so as this is a deal breaker for me.
    Printer share works with every app have thrown at it. It has its own GUI to access emails etc and it can use the share functionality.