Could the highly varied battery life be a manufacturing issue?

Search This thread

wdwms

Nov 24, 2011
Keep in mind 3g uses the most battery for your internet condition. WiFi and LTE are more efficient though your low signal on LTE wouldn't help.

We are on the fringe of LTE... Sometimes our phones connect to LTE, but is generally with very low reception. Essentially we live very close to a 3G tower, the nearest LTE tower is further away. So many times if you turn on LTE the phone will flip back and forth between the two. All that handshaking easily affects the power usage. So in my house here, until the other tower is upgraded, I will stick with 3G if/when i'm not on WiFi

wdwms

Nov 24, 2011
Ok here are the results.. got over 3 days of battery time, granted i didn't use the phone much, my son did play a few games. But 2+ hours of screen time AND 3 hours of standby is pretty damn good..

Still had 8 percent and probably could have gone another few hours easily..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-24-10-49-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-24-10-49-11.png
    179 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_2014-03-24-10-48-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-24-10-48-59.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Screenshot_2014-03-24-10-49-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-24-10-49-09.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: FuMMoD

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
I stand corrected. I will do my own test using only 3g tomorrow night. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Red Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In my experience....4/4 bars 3G are better than 2/4 bars LTE (not MUCH better).

But I think 4/4 bars LTE are much better than 4/4 bars 3G.
It also depends on how many data request is the phone handling. (Since LTE has less internet latency).

At the same time...I think 2/2 3G bars are much worse than 2/2 4G bars.

Regarding the Moto G. It has also a better battery life because:
1) It has a light GUI (because of the 720p resolution). Most significant with games...but all the apps has more or less graphic processing.
2) It works at a lower CPU frequency (1.2Ghz instead of 2.2Ghz) with a lower voltages.
3) regarding the signal....(what we are talking about).
I think it has...a very good antenna or something. At least the cellular ratio drain is very good.
I compared my N5 with 3G (because at that time i didn't have a 4G enabled SIM card) with the Moto G in a trip from Verona to Firenze (with a lot of tunnels and weak signal) and the battery drain in the moto g was much smaller than the N5. (Both with the same carrier).

BTW...I'm expecting a bunch of updates from Qualcomm/Google for the Nexus 5, the Snapdragon 800 and his cellular radio.

At the end...its a much newer hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited:

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
In my experience....4/4 bars 3G are better than 2/4 bars LTE (not MUCH better).

But I think 4/4 bars LTE are much better than 4/4 bars 3G.
It also depends on how many data request is the phone handling. (Since LTE has less internet latency).

At the same time...I think 2/2 3G bars are much worse than 2/2 4G bars.

Regarding the Moto G. It has also a better battery life because:
1) It has a light GUI (because of the 720p resolution). Most significant with games...but all the apps has more or less graphic processing.
2) It works at a lower CPU frequency (1.2Ghz instead of 2.2Ghz) with a lower voltages.
3) regarding the signal....(what we are talking about).
I think it has...a very good antenna or something. At least the cellular ratio drain is very good.
I compared my N5 with 3G (because at that time i didn't have a 4G enabled SIM card) with the Moto G in a trip from Verona to Firenze (with a lot of tunnels and weak signal) and the battery drain in the moto g was much smaller than the N5. (Both with the same carrier).

BTW...I'm expecting a bunch of updates from Qualcomm/Google for the Nexus 5, the Snapdragon 800 and his cellular radio.

At the end...its a much newer hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The entire SoC on the Moto G is about half as powerful as the S800. A7 cores vs A9 cores is a significant difference not to mention the huge difference in graphics, twice the RAM etc. It all adds up on the battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: thesebastian

BlueSharky

Jul 10, 2012
New Delhi
I think I have a lousy battery on my N5. I have listed below the settings I use. I don't think anyone can go further than this to save battery.

- Screen brightness - 10%
- Auto brightness OFF
- Google Now OFF
- Hotword detection OFF
- GPS - Device only
- Location tracking off
- WiFi scanning off
- Phone data set to 2G mode (4/4 bars) when idle, I switch to WiFi when I have to browse on Chrome.

Typical daily usage : I just use whatsapp 70% of the screen on time, with some googling on Chrome or reading a few news articles. Updating a couple of apps daily. No calls at ALL, no gaming at all. No video streaming at all.

All I get is about 3.5 - 4 hours of screen time, with the battery lasting about 15 hours. (a little more than half a day).
Some apps prevent my phone from sleeping, and kill the battery in ~9-10 hours, but that's very rare and is a bug, so i'm not taking that into consideration.

Do you think there's something seriously wrong with the battery, when it's giving such poor life for such light usage? Should I RMA my phone?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
BlueSharklargely depe923 said:
I think I have a lousy battery on my N5. I have listed below the settings I use. I don't think anyone can go further than this to save battery.

- Auto brightness OFF
- Google Now OFF
- Hotword detection OFF
- GPS - Device only
- Location tracking off
- WiFi scanning off
- Phone data set to 2G mode (4/4 bars) when idle, I switch to WiFi when I have to browse on Chrome.

Typical daily usage : I just use whatsapp 70% of the screen on time, with some googling on Chrome or reading a few news articles. Updating a couple of apps daily. No calls at ALL, no gaming at all. No video streaming at all.

All I get is about 3.5 - 4 hours of screen time, with the battery lasting about 15 hours. (a little more than half a day).
Some apps prevent my phone from sleeping, and kill the battery in ~9-10 hours, but that's very rare and is a bug, so i'm not taking that into consideration.

Do you think there's something seriously wrong with the battery, when it's giving such poor life for such light usage? Should I RMA my phone?

battery life is largely dependent upon the quality of the phone/data connection.

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Moto G Stylus 5G
While with this n5 I have Now I'm getting 14-15 hours with 5 hours SOT, My first n5 I had from launch was horrible on battery life. This is bone stock, while with my moto g(has a 2070mah battery) I can get way over a 1-2 days with 6-7 hours of screen time bone stock with the same usage and more gaming....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I'm getting full signal strength since I manually forced the phone on 2G mode, and 2G coverage is very widespread here. It's never anything other than 4/4 bars.

You're forcing yourself to use 2G data? That won't be very efficient for actual usage, only in idle. WiFi or a good LTE signal is preferable.

Reactions: thesebastian

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
your battery life majorly depends on tbe quality of your phone/data connection. really majorly! it can make the difference of just 2-3 sot hours if not such a great signal is around, to 5-6 hours sot if there is a great phone/data signal..

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. I believe this is the most important factor people over look. I went from about a best average usage time around 3-4.5 hours mixed usage(screen on time and bluetooth music playback) to 6-7 hours daily by changing my cell carrier. With Sprint I almost never saw green in my battery stats. As soon I jumped to T-Mobile I saw more green on the chart in a couple hours than I had the entire 4 previous months put together and hit my first ever on any device 6 SOT the second day. And another neat fact is with the poorer signal I had Greenified most everything and had a lot of services shut off. Now I run everything on full blast and still get awesome usage time.

D

Darth

- Auto brightness OFF
- Google Now OFF
- Hotword detection OFF
- GPS - Device only
- Location tracking off
- WiFi scanning off

Without screenshots from something like gsam, we're all just guessing here.

Tho really, your battery time doesn't seem that out of place. You do have location services on....and as said, signal quality can be a factor. You could have wakelocks.....anything.

Need screen shots to see what it looks like. ;)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

wdwms

Nov 24, 2011
Well this is getting interesting here... Google sent me a replacement phone.. I've got them both running stock with the same config

I charged both up to 100%, booted them at the same time and set the screen full brightness and turn off after 30 minutes. I then ran Antutu Benchmark twice, 3D mark twice, and then ran the antutu stability test 4 times. All at the same exact time. Here are the results

My original Nexus 5
[has a cooler color screen]
1h 22m 39s on battery & SoT
53% remaining
GSM Time remaining (last 15m): 0:58
GSM Talk Time: 2:49

Replacement Nexus 5
[has a warmer color screen]
1h 22m 41s on battery & SoT
61% remaining
GSM Time remaining (last 15m): 1:35
GSM Talk Time: 5:20

So anyone care to comment on this.. Two "identical" phones, running identical tests..

Last edited:

BlueSharky

Jul 10, 2012
New Delhi
You're forcing yourself to use 2G data? That won't be very efficient for actual usage, only in idle. WiFi or a good LTE signal is preferable.

I use the 2G mode for idle or for messaging on whatsapp. It's more than enough for that I suppose. For browsing/high data usage, I switch to WiFi. In India, 3G coverage is kind of spotty, and LTE is almost non existent.

Without screenshots from something like gsam, we're all just guessing here.

Tho really, your battery time doesn't seem that out of place. You do have location services on....and as said, signal quality can be a factor. You could have wakelocks.....anything.

Need screen shots to see what it looks like. ;)

I ran gsam this morning after a full night's charge. I'll use the phone as usual today and post screenshots soon. Wakelocks hmm.. I notice my phone doesn't go into deep sleep very often. How long does a phone take to go in deep sleep from idle? (assuming no apps are keeping wakelocks in the foreground/background)

Laggalot

Jan 8, 2012
Styria
you think you guys have it bad? my average SOT is 2 hours!!!! (damn mobile data)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

vmartinez39

May 4, 2011
In my case I really really had terrible battery life, lasting just 4 hours on standby with minimal use. It reminded me of the times I had G2X.

In my case the thing draining the battery was email syncs. 2 POP, 1 IMAP

When I turned email syncs off, on heavy use, it lasted 8 hours. On moderate use it lasted 10+ hours, the whole dam day. It was like Jekyll/Hide. I was shocked.

The compromise was I enabled email Syncs every hour. Sometimes it drains my battery. Its those background apps kill your battery life.

Don't have graphs but this is my experience so far. Nexus 4 had better battery life with loads of email accounts for me. I was beginning to regret the Nexus 5. Now its fair. Can't complain.

Reactions: bblzd
A

AndroidSlave

Thanks for last post I have 2 exchange and one IMAP accounts plus exchange and IMAP calendar sync. My battery life is a joke. No wakeloxka. But I am confident it is the issue. Unfortunately I can't turn off push notiticarions.

D

Darth

Yes its a lot to read.....tho could try searching it....but the how's your battery life thread has every issue you can think of in it....and most with solutions.

Guys with really bad battery life may want to spend some time reading through it. It could help a lot. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    your battery life majorly depends on tbe quality of your phone/data connection. really majorly! it can make the difference of just 2-3 sot hours if not such a great signal is around, to 5-6 hours sot if there is a great phone/data signal. and it varies greatly for everyone. also, how you personally use your phone makes a large impact. its also going to vary greatly as we al use our phones differently. and how you set up your phone and which apps you use is going to majorly affect battery. and thats going to vary greatly as well. and there are even more reasons for the large variation in battery life.
    It has been confirmed by users on XDA as well as this test.

http://anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/3

N5 LTE is more efficient than previous LTE phones due to some Qualcomm tech. Also by being considerably faster than 3G it can finish its task and go idle quicker.

I stand corrected. I will do my own test using only 3g tomorrow night. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Red Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Well this is getting interesting here... Google sent me a replacement phone.. I've got them both running stock with the same config

I charged both up to 100%, booted them at the same time and set the screen full brightness and turn off after 30 minutes. I then ran Antutu Benchmark twice, 3D mark twice, and then ran the antutu stability test 4 times. All at the same exact time. Here are the results

My original Nexus 5
    [has a cooler color screen]
    1h 22m 39s on battery & SoT
    53% remaining
    GSM Time remaining (last 15m): 0:58
    GSM Talk Time: 2:49

Replacement Nexus 5
    [has a warmer color screen]
    1h 22m 41s on battery & SoT
    61% remaining
    GSM Time remaining (last 15m): 1:35
    GSM Talk Time: 5:20

So anyone care to comment on this.. Two "identical" phones, running identical tests..
    your battery life majorly depends on tbe quality of your phone/data connection. really majorly! it can make the difference of just 2-3 sot hours if not such a great signal is around, to 5-6 hours sot if there is a great phone/data signal. and it varies greatly for everyone. also, how you personally use your phone makes a large impact. its also going to vary greatly as we al use our phones differently. and how you set up your phone and which apps you use is going to majorly affect battery. and thats going to vary greatly as well. and there are even more reasons for the large variation in battery life.

That's a great point @simms22, don't think people factor into the equation quality of reception. In China on crappy HSPA+ with 1 bar, I'm lucky to get 3-4 SOT. In Los Angeles on an excellent LTE connection I can get 5-6 SOT. So reception adds 2 hrs of SOT in my case.
    In my case I really really had terrible battery life, lasting just 4 hours on standby with minimal use. It reminded me of the times I had G2X.

In my case the thing draining the battery was email syncs. 2 POP, 1 IMAP

When I turned email syncs off, on heavy use, it lasted 8 hours. On moderate use it lasted 10+ hours, the whole dam day. It was like Jekyll/Hide. I was shocked.

The compromise was I enabled email Syncs every hour. Sometimes it drains my battery. Its those background apps kill your battery life.

Don't have graphs but this is my experience so far. Nexus 4 had better battery life with loads of email accounts for me. I was beginning to regret the Nexus 5. Now its fair. Can't complain.