Do we really need a screen protector...

Search This thread

Lady_Chloe

Apr 29, 2012
My bf gave me his iphone 4, he was wearing it in his pocket with keys, no scratches. I sold it after a few months, bought a SGS 2 (used for a year), no scratches on it either. I've tried a few screen protectors but they either felt horrible to the touch, degraded screen sharpness or both. So I say - unless you abuse your SGS 2, you don't need a screen protector.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

nitrounit

Jul 6, 2011
for me the screen protector is more of a "finger slide helper" because sometimes the screen can get very stubborn to slide lol

Spunkynitro

May 22, 2012
I had a screen protector untill my phone fell facedown and some sand poked a hole in the protector resulting in an air bubble. I've now bought a leathercase

Cheexsta

May 22, 2012
Sydney
for me the screen protector is more of a "finger slide helper" because sometimes the screen can get very stubborn to slide lol
This is the same for me. I prefer the feel of anti-glare screen protectors over the glass - plus, the glass always gets grimy and full of fingerprints, and the anti-glare screen protector helps prevent that (or, at least, makes it less obvious).

Only downside is that it does scatter the screen colours a little, making the display a little harder to see. But that doesn't bother me too much, personally.

And hey, you can get protectors relatively cheaply off eBay.

Trolblivion

May 24, 2012
Calgary
I'd say if you are looking into having a mirror screen protector or a privacy one. For me, i have one on there just so the white surface doesnt turn yellow...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

miguecasla

Apr 18, 2011
Buenos Aires
I use the protector film about 3 months, but when i compare the image with this against another with out it, the diferent are very apreciable.

The Super Amoled + Screen, the oleophobic display, and the feeling is just incoparables.

But, the Gorilla Glass failed to me, i got a scracht, very tiny but it is there :(

dark__chaos

Oct 10, 2010
Melbourne
I had a screen protector on for ages, took it off when it peeled one corner...

Dropped it in the car and went between the centre console and seat rail and made a nice deep scratch on my screen. :(

Now I just don't care, and have quiet a few scratches on the screen from keys and working on my car...

ammar1514

May 26, 2012
dont need it ..BUT ....cant risk a scratch either :p....its just annoying to look at a scratch ..lol

TWeaKoR

Nov 3, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S6
Xiaomi Poco F3
A friend of mine managed to break the screen on his GS2, though I have no idea how he managed it. I take the piss out of him now because he's still not got it fixed after 6 months, may as well have an iPhone :D

I've never thought screen protectors were worthwhile, and with the GS2's screen there's little point. Besides, it's more likely that I'll forget it's in my pocket and end up sending it through the washing machine anyway :p

iAnoop

May 14, 2012
India
ASUS ZenFone 6 (2019)
Yesterday I watched some youtube videos on gorilla glass test for GS2 .
Man , those are freaking.... the phones is so hard to break and screen is really scratch proof.:eek:

wondering if anyone finds camera galss is also robust ??
:rolleyes:

For_itembine

Dec 8, 2011
the s2 is pretty scratch resistant, I don't use a screen protector

but I did use my sisters new s2 and her screen (its like silk) watered glass, whereas mine is a bit rough.

MatchstiK

Jan 5, 2011
GTA
Almost a year in owning my SGS2 and I'm still without screen protector. I keep it in its own pocket, separate from keys, etc. So far has been holding up well, but I know it can be ruined all too easily.

A few months back my ipad fell out of it's case face first and scratched the hell out of it, I'm afraid my sgs2 will do the same.

G

GuestK00450

Almost a year in owning my SGS2 and I'm still without screen protector. I keep it in its own pocket, separate from keys, etc. So far has been holding up well, but I know it can be ruined all too easily.

A few months back my ipad fell out of it's case face first and scratched the hell out of it, I'm afraid my sgs2 will do the same.

It won't. Coming up on 1 year on my S2 and haven't used a protector ever. I don't have a single scratch. A few weeks ago my phone fell in an area with a rocky floor and it slid a few inches. Screen was very dusty but I cleaned it when I got home and I didn't have a single scratch.

Sent from my GT-I9100

grudas

Apr 15, 2011
had protectors on mine for ages.. but removed them and wow the screen is soo much nicer.. it wont scratch either if you leave it in its own pocket without keys/coins/etc.. metal has a lower density than glass too so it wont scratch it.. sand tho can do it no problems! :) the home button on s2 is not covered in gorilla glass and that one is scratched on mine :/

Reactions: DennizzNL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its always better to have one and not need it, then not have one and need one.......

600euro phone
    5euro protector...............
    Gorilla glass maybe good to protect your phone from your keys or a coin but a grain of sand will still scratch it.
    Just put one on mine and apart from the few bubbles i can't tell its there. When i first put it on it felt nothing like as smooth but used a bit of car wax on it and now its perfect.
    ... when the SG2 is "gorilla glass" protected ?
    I wonder :confused:

Nah, I shouldn't think so. I've had nothing on my SGS1 screen for over a year now and there's no blemishes at all!
    If nothing else those tiny bubbles would drive me up the wall.

Yes. I am more than slightly OCD :p
    Fit it properly then! Can hardly claim to be OCD if you can't be bothered to get rid of the bubbles! ;)

When I fit my screen protectors I always make sure they fit absolutely perfectly, without a single bubble, speck of dust, or anything in the way. Bear in mind that it takes me on average about 20-30 minutes with a roll of scotch tape (for removing dust, etc) to apply a protector -- but when it's on, you'd certainly never be able to see it was there (feel is a different matter). The protector on my laptop screen took me over 3 hours to apply to my satisfaction.

As others have mentioned, the Gorilla Glass may be pretty tough -- but the oleophobic coating on top of it almost certainly isn't. That will almost certainly scratch very easily, and while it won't be anywhere near as noticeable as a scratch in the actual glass, it should still be very annoying to someone with OCD ;)