My Chromecast finally has a use! Synolgy NAS FTW!

Search This thread

y0bailey

Nov 20, 2012
My chromecast has sat in my bottom drawer for at least the last 2 months. It wasn't overly useful to me, seeing as at home I have HTPC's everywhere, and I have a NAS that isn't powerful enough to host a Plex server and do OTF trans-coding for when I travel. I could use Plex server on the HTPC's, but they aren't exactly the most energy efficient when compared to my NAS. It also isn't worth the hassle of converting all of my vids to chromecast friendly format that my NAS could handle.

Synology just released the 5.0 software, with chromecast support for streaming videos. So now I have my entire movie/TV collection on my Synology NAS, which I can pull up on my Nexus 4 and stream the video's on my chromecast. It has OTF bandwidth/conversion, and so far has been running wonderfully!

Finally, my chromecast is useful. Big props to Synology for making this happen.

Sorry, this is mostly just me being a fanboy for Synology since they made such an obscure device a relatively high priority and have done so better than anything else out at the moment! (no, I do not work for them).

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Nice. Good on Synology for supporting Chromecast! With millions of Chromecast shipped and now being shipped internationally I'm pretty sure it's no longer being considered obscure. :)

Krisshp

Dec 29, 2012
Nice. Good on Synology for supporting Chromecast! With millions of Chromecast shipped and now being shipped internationally I'm pretty sure it's no longer being considered obscure. :)

What is Synology?? Could you give a small brief description? Isit like a 24/7server. Or is it something else Does it cost

shelby04861

Aug 28, 2011
This is going to become a bigger use in the future. I used the readyNAS plex server package on my zyxcel nsa320. Works great!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

shelby04861

Aug 28, 2011
Agreed. I just keep it all one format to minimize the need.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Agreed. I just keep it all one format to minimize the need.

I highly recommend an NAS to anyone who wants to stream Media. If you find you need better Transcode later on you can always add a server and map the NAS to it.

I have a Beefy HTPC that I was already running XBMC on with a Seagate 16TB NAS with Raid mapped to it. Installed Plex to that machine and it has pretty much been smooth sailing ever since.