Cracked my 13 day old G3

Search This thread

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
I'm so upset I wanted to share my sob story. I have had my G3 for 13 days now (pre-ordered and picked up on launch day) and I just cracked the screen. Only about one third of the screen is responsive so the device is almost useless now.

I put a Spigen Slim Armor case on it before even walking out of Best Buy with it so it has been "protected" from day one. Spigen's slogan for the G3 Slim Armor is "Absolute Drop Protection", but that's apparently not true here. They advertise that the corners have an "air cushion", but it fell on the corner. I bent over and it fell out of my shirt pocket literally 2 feet above the floor.

LG can't give me a repair estimate without sending it in. The guy on the LG Chat said probably $150 or so, but there's no guarantee on that amount. I've seen replacement glass on Amazon for $56.99 without the LCD screen and then Repairs Universe has the glass/LCD combo only. They said that it's near impossible to replace just the glass without the LCD and not mess it up. That combo costs $175.

Does anyone have any guidance or know how much it might cost through LG? Should I even attempt to repair it myself? Any advice would be great. I'll apologize in advance if I don't reply to posts right away. I'll be having trouble using the G3 at all. I'm going to get a sim card for my backup phone tomorrow and use that in the meantime.

imstill@g

Jun 6, 2007
OnePlus 9
I've seen in the past that lg has been fair on pricing. But never give an upfront cost. I'd just send mine in. Hate to hear that happened

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I may just send it in and eat the repair cost. I'm just disappointed in the whole situation.

Sent from my LG-P930 using XDA Free mobile app

louvass

Sep 24, 2010
I thought about that, but it would cost roughly the same for LG to fix it. That would save me the worry of attempting it myself and scrying it up even more. Although it can't be too hard.

I have the same case.. there is no cushion corners it's all pretty hard.. I'm looking for another with some more padding for the corners. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
I have the same case.. there is no cushion corners it's all pretty hard.. I'm looking for another with some more padding for the corners. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed with the corners. They advertise them as air cushion corners, but they are definitely just solid. I am also looking for a new case.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
I dropped my on its face and cracked the ZAGG glass screen protector. Luckily the screen underneath is unscathed

I've been wondering about those glass screen protectors and even more so now that I cracked my screen. It sounds like you are saying it has been worth it. Is that the brand with the warranty?

imitenotbecrazy

Nov 9, 2011
I've been wondering about those glass screen protectors and even more so now that I cracked my screen. It sounds like you are saying it has been worth it. Is that the brand with the warranty?

Yup I've already out it in to get a replacement. I've used their glass on my M8, S5, and now the G3. Love it

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
The zagg invisible shield glass is excellent. It feels like real glass too. I would not hesitate to pick one up.

Thanks for the second recommendation on ZAGG. I remember a few years ago avoiding ZAGG because their thick screen protectors had a bad orange peel effect. I'm glad to see that you guys are happy with their glass screen protectors. I prefer a good word from fellow XDA folks over the best buy sales reps.

screwyluie

May 20, 2009
I've never used square trade and didn't think about that. Have you had good experiences with them?

they are fantastic, I insure all my electronics through them, and if you get emails from them, 3-4 times a month they will send you a code for 30-50% off a purchase with them. so it's cheap and great service

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
they are fantastic, I insure all my electronics through them, and if you get emails from them, 3-4 times a month they will send you a code for 30-50% off a purchase with them. so it's cheap and great service

Good to know. Thanks for the info for sure. I signed up Friday actually so I'm not stressing so much about my G3 now.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
I had a Spigen slim armor on my note 3 and I dropped it from about 5 ft a few times and it never hurt the phone. The case has some marks, but then again I always use tempered glass screen protectors. I think it was a fluke that your phone broke from that unless it landed in its face and something hit the screen. Good luck getting it fixed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
Ya it was probably more of the perfect drop to crack it. I was just so frustrated because it was the first drop.

Top Liked Posts