[GUIDE] How to Root T-Mobile KitKat

Search This thread

utesred

Dec 22, 2011
Hi everyone. After scouring the forums here for hours, multiple failed attempts, and tons of misery; I've finally successfully rooted my T-Mobile G2 on 4.4.2.

As many are finding, people who have bought their G2 recently are having colorful lines whenever you try to turn on your screen when on KitKat Roms. This method fixes that (with this ROM only).

This is for people who are currently running the latest firmware (D80120A_00). I assume it'll also work with newer updates, but I can't make any promises.

---

As we've all seen, IORoot does not work on 4.4.2 on Tmobile devices for some reason. To get around that, we need to downgrade our devices to stock firmware. We will be following hyelton's guide, and lrwjr1964's discovery.

--Downgrade to 4.2.2--

First, navigate to hyelton's guide. Download the 4.2.2 stock firmware, from his link. On his Storage Cow site, navigate to the TMobile G2 folder, and then download the D80120C_00.kdz file. This is our stock firmware that we will be flashing to our device. You will also need to navigate to the link to the R&D Flash tool. The file is the LGMOBILEAX file. Install the LG Mobile Support tool. Launch the tool.

Next, we will be using lrwjr1964's discovery (post 2902 in the same thread). Plug in your phone, install any drivers needed, and let it get connected. Once you're all good to go, click 'options' in the top right hand corner, and then 'upgrade recovery'. What this will do, is download the latest D80120A_00.kdz file, and install it to your phone. How the program works, is it downloads the file to your computer, then transfers the file and flashes it. What we are going to do, is interrupt that process, insert our .kdz, and let it flash for us. Pretty nifty, huh?

You'll want to watch it super closely as it downloads. As soon as it finishes, yank the usb out of your phone. (I've done this twice without consequence. I don't make any guarantees, though.) This interrupts the file transfer, and throws you an error screen. Navigate to the folder "C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX' . ProgramData is a hidden folder, so you'll need to make hidden folders visible. Rename your D80120C file exactly to what the file name of the other file is. Then, copy it over. Once it's finished, replug in your phone, let it connect, and let it resume the process. When it finishes, your phone will be running 4.2.2. How sweet is that?

--Root 4.2.2--

Now, this should work just as you're used to if you've done this before. Autoprime explains how to do this really well, so take a look at his thread here

--Install TWRP--

Again, if you've done this before, you're right at home. If not, WACOMalt has a thread you should check out here Make sure you download the correct .img for your phone. The Tmobile one. There's many different methods of flashing TWRP, but using the app Flashify worked easiest for me. It's on the Google Play store, and makes flashing it a cinch.

--Install KitKat and Re-Root--

This is one step you want to be careful with. Mess this one up, and you could be back at page one. SmiLey497 has the stock rom here. Ensure you not only snag the rom itself but get the SU file in the 'attached files' section.

Copy both files onto your phone, and boot to TWRP. You can do this easily from within the Flashify app.

Within TWRP, you need to do a standard wipe. After that, flash the ROM file first, and then the SU file after. DO NOT reboot your phone in between the files. If you do, you'll have just flashed the rom you had two hours ago when you began, and still not have SU. Once you do have them both flashed, reboot your phone and you're done.

--Celebration--

Congrats!! Your phone should now be running 4.4.2, and you should have root access. Go have some fun. Watch some Community, go for a jog, take a nap, eat dinner...do something FUN! You've earned it. :)

-----

I hope this guide is helpful. It very possibly could not work for you, or even mess up your phone. As far as I know, only myself and lrwjr1964 has used this method. I have very limited developing knowledge, so I likely won't be able to help with any too technical problems. Still, I'll be around to help as I can.

If this works for you, comment to let others know. :)

The best of luck!
utesred

LOBBS

Jul 16, 2012
Independence, Missouri
Exactly what I was looking for! I ended up on the G2 when my wife decided she didn't like it and I was waiting on the M8 to switch us from VZW to T-Mobile. She put it on KK in the few days she had it. I've always had HTCs and know my way around them quite well. This will go a long ways towards helping do the same on LG.

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

utesred

Dec 22, 2011
Exactly what I was looking for! I ended up on the G2 when my wife decided she didn't like it and I was waiting on the M8 to switch us from VZW to T-Mobile. She put it on KK in the few days she had it. I've always had HTCs and know my way around them quite well. This will go a long ways towards helping do the same on LG.

I hope it works out for you. I was looking at the M8 myself, but decided to go for the G2 last week. The battery combined with the cost was more than enough to sway me. I was surprised at how rough it was to root myself, coming from an HTC sensation and having rooted a Samsung Note 10.1 2014.

Let us know when you go for it, and how it goes for you. :)

Reactions: LOBBS

LOBBS

Jul 16, 2012
Independence, Missouri
I hope it works out for you. I was looking at the M8 myself, but decided to go for the G2 last week. The battery combined with the cost was more than enough to sway me. I was surprised at how rough it was to root myself, coming from an HTC sensation and having rooted a Samsung Note 10.1 2014.

I'm loving the G2 so far. It was my back-up choice in case there was something I really didn't like about the M8 so I'm not exactly suffering here. My ultimate goal is to get on an AOSP ROM so I really just need to get back to JB so that I can get root and recovery.

Sep 14, 2008
Boise
OnePlus 8T
Thank you sooo much! Just what the doctor ordered!

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Dang it. Tried you method to the letter but it fails at 49% on the LG and 47% on the pc. once I reboot and factory reset it boots back into kitkat 4.4.2

Last edited:

utesred

Dec 22, 2011

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Dang it. Tried you method to the letter but it fails at 49% on the LG and 47% on the pc. once I reboot and factory reset it boots back into kitkat 4.4.2

Damn, that's a bummer! I'm assuming that it's failing while flashing the .kdz, right?

Sorry I can't be of much help on this one. Only thing I could suggest is to try it again. Maybe something went wrong? Make sure you've got the correct files and everything. You probably already know all of that, though.

I hope it works for you the second time around...or at least, the IORoot gets updated to work with our devices soon.

Sep 14, 2008
Boise
OnePlus 8T
Yeah something has changed since my flash to stock kitkat. When I attempt to boot into recovery it isn't there (that's why ioroot25 won't work) but anyways. I think for one reason or another I am stuck...But that being said I work 12 hour night shifts and its my last night off with nothing to do.. So will attempt this again in a few different scenarios.

deepac

Apr 1, 2014
San Jose
Hello guys, for rooting back from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2 on a Tmobile d801, do you use the d80110c_00 kdz or the d80110g_00 kdz ? I am not sure what the differences are either.

utesred

Dec 22, 2011
To avoid issues, you must use the D80110C .kdz. Users reported screen artifacts (lines) when using D80110G.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the screen artifacts are caused by the D80110G. Using the same process, I went to the 80110C and tried flashing various roms afterwards. I got the artifacts on every other rom, except for the KK stock rom I used above.

From what I've seen and read from other users with the artifacts, they appear only on KK roms, with certain TMobile G2s. It seems that all phones that came with 80110G or 80110A preinstalled have issues.

Of course...I could be completely mistaken. That's just what I've noticed.

2strokenut

Sep 4, 2011
For anyone having trouble downgrading using the KDZ method, just use the TOT method instead. It works perfect.

tpaxadpom

Oct 28, 2009
I've tried your method, replaced the file it was loaded onto phone and the phone is now stock in boot load. It displays T-mobile icon and keeps resetting itself.

frigginmike

Oct 18, 2010
The biggest issue I have had in this whole downgrade, root, twrp, flash, is loosing twrp. I have tried multiple ways, but every single time I upgrade to 4.4.2 I lose custom recovery.

I even flashed twrp 2.7.0.0 over 2.3.6.2, but I have had no luck.

I have yet to try Flashify, but that will be my next move. I am Loki'd out lol

Help

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Hi everyone. After scouring the forums here for hours, multiple failed attempts, and tons of misery; I've finally successfully rooted my T-Mobile G2 on 4.4.2.

As many are finding, people who have bought their G2 recently are having colorful lines whenever you try to turn on your screen when on KitKat Roms. This method fixes that (with this ROM only).

This is for people who are currently running the latest firmware (D80120A_00). I assume it'll also work with newer updates, but I can't make any promises.

---

As we've all seen, IORoot does not work on 4.4.2 on Tmobile devices for some reason. To get around that, we need to downgrade our devices to stock firmware. We will be following hyelton's guide, and lrwjr1964's discovery.

--Downgrade to 4.2.2--

First, navigate to hyelton's guide. Download the 4.2.2 stock firmware, from his link. On his Storage Cow site, navigate to the TMobile G2 folder, and then download the D80120C_00.kdz file. This is our stock firmware that we will be flashing to our device. You will also need to navigate to the link to the R&D Flash tool. The file is the LGMOBILEAX file. Install the LG Mobile Support tool. Launch the tool.

Next, we will be using lrwjr1964's discovery (post 2902 in the same thread). Plug in your phone, install any drivers needed, and let it get connected. Once you're all good to go, click 'options' in the top right hand corner, and then 'upgrade recovery'. What this will do, is download the latest D80120A_00.kdz file, and install it to your phone. How the program works, is it downloads the file to your computer, then transfers the file and flashes it. What we are going to do, is interrupt that process, insert our .kdz, and let it flash for us. Pretty nifty, huh?

You'll want to watch it super closely as it downloads. As soon as it finishes, yank the usb out of your phone. (I've done this twice without consequence. I don't make any guarantees, though.) This interrupts the file transfer, and throws you an error screen. Navigate to the folder "C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX' . ProgramData is a hidden folder, so you'll need to make hidden folders visible. Rename your D80120C file exactly to what the file name of the other file is. Then, copy it over. Once it's finished, replug in your phone, let it connect, and let it resume the process. When it finishes, your phone will be running 4.2.2. How sweet is that?

--Root 4.2.2--

Now, this should work just as you're used to if you've done this before. Autoprime explains how to do this really well, so take a look at his thread here

--Install TWRP--

Again, if you've done this before, you're right at home. If not, WACOMalt has a thread you should check out here Make sure you download the correct .img for your phone. The Tmobile one. There's many different methods of flashing TWRP, but using the app Flashify worked easiest for me. It's on the Google Play store, and makes flashing it a cinch.

This is one step you want to be careful with. Mess this one up, and you could be back at page one. SmiLey497 has the stock rom here. Ensure you not only snag the rom itself but get the SU file in the 'attached files' section.

Copy both files onto your phone, and boot to TWRP. You can do this easily from within the Flashify app.

Within TWRP, you need to do a standard wipe. After that, flash the ROM file first, and then the SU file after. DO NOT reboot your phone in between the files. If you do, you'll have just flashed the rom you had two hours ago when you began, and still not have SU. Once you do have them both flashed, reboot your phone and you're done.

--Celebration--

Congrats!! Your phone should now be running 4.4.2, and you should have root access. Go have some fun. Watch some Community, go for a jog, take a nap, eat dinner...do something FUN! You've earned it. :)

-----

I hope this guide is helpful. It very possibly could not work for you, or even mess up your phone. As far as I know, only myself and lrwjr1964 has used this method. I have very limited developing knowledge, so I likely won't be able to help with any too technical problems. Still, I'll be around to help as I can.

The best of luck!
utesred

The problem I think I am having, is in the Flashing TWRP guide, the t-mobile version, even though it states ver 2.6.3.3, its actually 2.6.3.2. I can not get TWRP to stick for the life of me.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

I've tried your method, replaced the file it was loaded onto phone and the phone is now stock in boot load. It displays T-mobile icon and keeps resetting itself.

hold the power button down until the screen goes blank, then press and hold the power and volume rocker down. when the LG logo appears release both buttons and quickly press and hold both power and volume rocker down. This will allow a factory (hard reset) and will get you out of the boot loop.

tpaxadpom

Oct 28, 2009
hold the power button down until the screen goes blank, then press and hold the power and volume rocker down. when the LG logo appears release both buttons and quickly press and hold both power and volume rocker down. This will allow a factory (hard reset) and will get you out of the boot loop.
I've tried your method but it doesn't work. Thanks for suggestion though. I had to put the phone in download mode (volume button down and then plug the usb), then I used LGLauncher.exe to recover it. I have tried the method described by OP twice. Both times I ended up with t-mobile logo played in the infinite loop.
I've renamed t-mobile USA D80110C_00.kdz to D80120A_00.kdz and overwritten the file. In the original instructions it says D80120C_00.kdz file but I believe OP meant D80110C_00.kdz as D80120C_00.kdz is not available at the posted link.

Last edited:

frigginmike

Oct 18, 2010
I've tried your method but it doesn't work. Thanks for suggestion though. I had to put the phone in download mode (volume button down and then plug the usb), then I used LGLauncher.exe to recover it. I have tried the method described by OP twice. Both times I ended up with t-mobile logo playe in the infinity loop.
I've renamed t-mobile USA D80110C_00.kdz to D80120A_00.kdz and overwritten the file. In the original instructions it says D80120C_00.kdz file but I believe OP meant D80110C_00.kdz as D80120C_00.kdz is not available at the posted link.

its sort of tricky due to the weird button placement, but that method works, 100%. May have to do it multiple times. I only know this, because I have returned to stock on this device about 25 times trying to get TWRP and root to stick when upgrading to KitKat. lol

Reactions: tpaxadpom

tpaxadpom

Oct 28, 2009
its sort of tricky due to the weird button placement, but that method works, 100%. May have to do it multiple times. I only know this, because I have returned to stock on this device about 25 times trying to get TWRP and root to stick when upgrading to KitKat. lol

So I've looked on the related thread post 2901 (not 2902 as it says in OP), the reset is required. I've tried your method to reset and also one mentioned here but the phone continues to stay in the boot loop. This LG G2 is a PITA to get rooted.

Never mind. You are right. I've tried again your method and it worked. Performing reset now...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

---

--Downgrade to 4.2.2--

--Root 4.2.2--

--Install TWRP--

--Celebration--

-----

The best of luck!
    utesred
    The biggest issue I have had in this whole downgrade, root, twrp, flash, is loosing twrp. I have tried multiple ways, but every single time I upgrade to 4.4.2 I lose custom recovery.

I even flashed twrp 2.7.0.0 over 2.3.6.2, but I have had no luck.

I have yet to try Flashify, but that will be my next move. I am Loki'd out lol

Help

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

---

--Downgrade to 4.2.2--

--Root 4.2.2--

--Install TWRP--

--Celebration--

-----

The best of luck!
    utesred

The problem I think I am having, is in the Flashing TWRP guide, the t-mobile version, even though it states ver 2.6.3.3, its actually 2.6.3.2. I can not get TWRP to stick for the life of me.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

I hope so, I spent all day yesterday trying until I just gave up. Guess its the waiting game for me.
    For anyone having trouble downgrading using the KDZ method, just use the TOT method instead. It works perfect.

Can you please direct me toward a tutorial that has the TOT method? I tried to find one online but was not able to. I have a D801. The KDZ method doesn't work for me.