the n7 supports OTG through root!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

heat361

Dec 27, 2011
New York City
Tech site the verge has asked Asus about otg and MHL and was confirmed that jelly bean and the nexus 7 does not support it. It does however support USB host. Here is the article
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3127278/nexus-7-mhl-usb-otg

EDIT: thanks to RMXO we have now confirmed that OTG does work once your device is rooted. Plug in your flash drive to a USB otg cable and you can now transfer your content.

Last edited:
Reactions: nerfman100

th3drow

Jul 21, 2008
so with usb host support does that mean i could for instance plug like a game controller in using like an adapter.

dgattenb

Oct 14, 2007
wales
my xperia s has OTG , i know some phone dont eg one x ( out of the box ) but I cant see that being a huge stumbling block .. XDA will sort it out !!!!!!!!!!!!

C

cesjr02

Wait, so this still isn't very clear. Is the lack of MHL and OTG support on the software side or hardware? The only thing that article states is that "Android 4.1 Jelly Bean" doesn't support it.

Where's an ifixit tear down when you need them?

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
Not really news, we know the software was made to not support it. But with root and an app, does the tablet have enough juice going to the micro usb slot? That's the question....

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
None of our business of course, but I can only imagine the scary markup for a $199 tablet on CL.

It can be outrageous on the pricing but if you're patient & lucky you can get it for $20-50 markup. Those are the people that I love dealing with since they aren't asking too much and willing to sell right away with no BS.

I just came home with my Nexus 7 so I should be testing in a bit. Since we met up at Frys, I got me a cheap 64gb flash drive for 29.99.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Using an OTG cable that I use for all my android devices with a 64gb FAT32 formatted flash drive didn't pick up the drive. I'm going to root & see if I can get it to recognize the flash drive.

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
It can be outrageous on the pricing but if you're patient & lucky you can get it for $20-50 markup. Those are the people that I love dealing with since they aren't asking too much and willing to sell right away with no BS.

I just came home with my Nexus 7 so I should be testing in a bit. Since we met up at Frys, I got me a cheap 64gb flash drive for 29.99.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Using an OTG cable that I use for all my android devices with a 64gb FAT32 formatted flash drive didn't pick up the drive. I'm going to root & see if I can get it to recognize the flash drive.

Yeah, root and use that "Stickmount" app.

Reactions: RMXO and creagrox

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA

Yeap, I had to download & install "StickMount" to get my flash drives to mount.

The drive path when you mount is:

/mnt/sdcard/usbStorage/sda1, sdb1, sdc1, etc....

Nexus 7 with StickMount reads NTFS & FAT32 but not exFAT. Also I'm unable to write to NTFS either.

Last edited:

Multisaft7

Jan 21, 2011

Nexus 7 with StickMount reads NTFS & FAT32 but not exFAT. Also I'm unable to write to a NTFS either.

It means i can use my usb stick and See my movies from there?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

C

cesjr02

Not bad at all. So you got the Google i/o white-backed version then?

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA

I plan to transfer a regular, 720p & 1080p movies & use Dice to play it on a flash drive. I'll report back once transfer & testing is done.

Yes, I have the model that was handled out at Google I/O with the White back

Last edited:

eskostar

Oct 22, 2007
Following this thread like it's a championship finals, being able to mount a usb stick is what's gonna make me buy it or not.

nismofreak

Jan 6, 2008
the title of the post should be edited to say the nexus 7 doesn't do mhl and usb otg natively, seems misleading.

RMXO, you are the shizzle! this is what I've been agonizing over since news came out of no micro sd slot. 13.something gb useable is a drop in the bucket without a micro sd slot. i can live without mhl, but not with a measly 13.something gb. i paid $120 for the very first 16gb micro sd card when it first came out. if they offered a 64gb or even a 128gb nexus 7 i would have gladly paid more for it. you can never have enough memory, but can definitely have too little. i bought the 1st gen ipad 16gb wifi when it came out from a friend for $300 bc it was such a good deal, then realized how useless it was. ended up giving it to my mom to play games on it.

i can deal with reading ntfs and fat32, and writing to fat32. considered cancelling my pre-order if usb otg didn't work, or just giving it to my mom so she could skype with my sister and niece, since the 1st gen ipad doesn't have a ffc. thanks again RMXO, i am grateful, and Google owes you! lol

Sent from my cm9'ed out SPH-D700 using xda premium

Reactions: RMXO

heat361

Dec 27, 2011
New York City

Nexus 7 with StickMount reads NTFS & FAT32 but not exFAT. Also I'm unable to write to a NTFS either.

Thank you for doing these tests so now we know that it is not baked into the system and we need root to use otg

pack21

Dec 14, 2009
You should be able to but let me check to be 100% sure. I plan to transfer a regular, 720p & 1080p movies & use Dice to play it on a flash drive. I'll report back once transfer & testing is done.

thx.

Waiting your OTG results.

Reactions: jtc276

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
Here are my results when trying to playing video files from a flash drive via OTG.

I sued the following three apps (MXPlayer, Dice, MOBO Player) to play AVI, MKV (720 & 1080p) with.

All three apps couldn't play the video files. Dice would FC (I used a TiBU version since Dice shows as incompatible on Play Store). With Mobo Player I couldn't get it to recognize the ARM7-neon plugin even though I downloaded & installed it. MXPlayer would give me a video problem error.

So most likely those apps are incompatible with JB & I'm able to play those video files on my S3 with Dice to verify these are not corrupted files.

Last edited:

eskostar

Oct 22, 2007
Any possibility to transfer the files from the usb to the internal memory and try opening from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any possibility to transfer the files from the usb to the internal memory and try opening from there?

thx, but can u copy files into the NX7 via OTG?

not mkv but divx's 689mb, did it play? for 7" i only want simple Avi's

I just got done transfering the video files to sdcard & yes, MXPlayer is able to play my AVI & 720p MKV files. So I as of right now, I was un-able to play video files directly from a flash drive using OTG.
    Thanks, once again.
    So, to clarify, you copied the videos to the n7 using the OTG drive? And can you copy something else back to it? If it works both ways that solves all my space issues.

Yes, I copied video files from the flash drive to N7 sdcard via OTG.

Transfering from N7 sdcard to flash drive via OTG does work but a little slow.

The players might need tweaking, but for now I am happy being able to carry my movies around on flash and import them in when needed.

Good job!

What will keep me from renting movies on Google Play?
    Unlocked bootloader or rooted?
    And can I switch easily from "Allowed to rent" and "Not allowed to rent"?

My N7 is unlocked, rooted & was able to rent Project X from Play Movie store.

Yeah, various media players needs to be tweaked for JB.

Nexus 7 with StickMount reads NTFS & FAT32 but not exFAT. Also I'm unable to write to NTFS either.

I plan to transfer a regular, 720p & 1080p movies & use Dice to play it on a flash drive. I'll report back once transfer & testing is done.

Here are my results when trying to playing video files from a flash drive via OTG.

I sued the following three apps (MXPlayer, Dice, MOBO Player) to play AVI, MKV (720 & 1080p) with.

All three apps couldn't play the video files. Dice would FC (I used a TiBU version since Dice shows as incompatible on Play Store). With Mobo Player I couldn't get it to recognize the ARM7-neon plugin even though I downloaded & installed it. MXPlayer would give me a video problem error.

So most likely those apps are incompatible with JB & I'm able to play those video files on my S3 with Dice to verify these are not corrupted files.