Solution for flashing HERMES preproduction devices found!

Search This thread

J.S.

Dec 15, 2004
In case you have a preproduction HERMES and you can not update the ROM (due to the fact that your bootloader is <1.04) here the very easy solution:

- format a SD card with FAT32
- extract the .NBH file from the rom image you like
- rename the .NBH to HERMIMG.NBH and copy it to your SD card
- put SD card in phone and start it in bootloader (hold OK button on left side and POWER button at same time and stick with stylus in RESET on bottom)
- confirm flashing on screen
- flashing might hang after some time but this is normal. Just wait. Complete flash takes about 30 minutes.

This also works for normal (non preproduction) devices but keep in mind that if the CID does not match the flashing might not work.

John

P.S. Same applies to other devices: BREEIMG.NBH, STARIMG.NBH, ...

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
Re: Solution for flashing HERMES preproduction devices found

Hi J.S.!

This is a very great finding!! How did you find that???

J.S. said:
This also works for normal (non preproduction) devices but keep in mind that if the CID does not match the flashing might not work.
Preproduction devices are superCID, so they should be able to flash any image using that method.

J.S. said:
P.S. Same applies to other devices: BREEIMG.NBH, STARIMG.NBH, ...
I guess BREEIMG is for HTC Breeze and STARIMG for HTC Startrk, right?

darkoverlord

Sep 21, 2005
Vancouver
www.cellopolis.com
Holy Sweet Jiminy Cristmas, OK, now this is what mine is doing so far, (which is further than any thing else we have done)

Sitting at Checking..., and has been for around 10 minutes or so now

Will keep you updated, hey anyone able to get access to the holy grail of HTC support site?

omaqsood

Jul 18, 2006
Excellent news!

I just need to get my hands on a micro SD card and I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks again, buddy.

I'll let you all know how I get along.

Oz

darkoverlord

Sep 21, 2005
Vancouver
www.cellopolis.com
So how long did your screen stay with the Checking..., as I am now on my 4th IMG to try, and all have taken over 10mins each while on the checking.

I need some slepp so this one i will let run while i sleep.

Any way of changing the CID, as mine is not preproduction.

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
darkoverlord said:
OK, but how can I know my CID, and which one to choose.

The bootloader command "info 2" returns your CID, on a TyTN that is:

"HTCS" + "QTEK_001" + (4-byte checksum) + "HTCE"

You can also find it by running GetDeviceData.exe.

These are the ROMs an it's CID lock:

HTC: QTEK_001
Dopod: DOPOD001
JasJam: CDL__001
Cingular: CWS__001
O2: O2___102

wwaveydave

Jan 22, 2005
Hi Guys, At this point is it possible to get an .NBH file from a .RAW file and so flash back to my original shipped ROM?

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
The Hermes SPL searches for two files on SD card, one is HERMIMG.nbh as pointed out by J.S. on this topic, the other one is HERMDIAG.nbh.

Anyone knows about what is HERMDIAG? looking at the name seems some kind of DIAGnostic SD card... :?

I've been told by itsme that HTC StarTrek supports 2 ways of sd-card flashing:
1) with 'starimg.nbh' on a fat32 filesystem (same as in hermes, but using hermimg.nbh instead)
2) with a typhoonnbfdecode.pl generated sdcard

I've tried to generate a cooked rom for TyTN using typhoonnbfdecode.pl, but the .nb files extracted using nbh2dbh.pl and dbhdecode.pl are not valid, it seems that typhoonnbfdecode.pl expects the .nb files to be decoded as sd header image (using flag "-i" of typhoonnbfdecode.pl itself), but this tool is not useful to handle NBH files.

Also trying to make a NBF file with typhoonnbfdecode.pl out of .nb files extracted from original shiped NBH file gives an image validation error on each module specified in ' -r '.

Any help will be much appreciated!

wwaveydave

Jan 22, 2005
If you compare the NBF file you've created to the NHB file pulled from one of the shipped ROMs will that help? I'd like to help, but need time to get up to speed on the whole ROM cooking process.

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
The problem is that I cannot even create the NBF... I get a validation error in every module, like if all the .nb files where invalid:

- no sm signature at 0 in Splash
- no 7 * jump +5 at start of gsm
- no ECEC at 0x40 in OS image
- no IPL at 4 in IPL image
- no ECEC at 0x0040 in SPL image

any ideas?

omaqsood

Jul 18, 2006
Right guys,

I've tried the method outlined in the originating post but it doesn't seem to work for me on my Preproduction Hermes. This is what happens:

1) Format 1GB Micro SD card to FAT32 via Windows (right click and select Format).
2) Extract .nbh file from ROM image.
3) Rename .nbh file to HERMIMG.nbh and copy to SD card.
4) Put SD card in phone and start in bootloader (as specified)
5) The screen goes white for a second and then an error message pops briefly (about a millisecond! I had to do about 20 times before I could be sure about what it said). The error message was "No Image file!"
6) Reverts back to bootloader.

Have tried this with all of the English ROMs listed on the Wiki and get the same result each time. I'm not connected to the PC during all of this. The only file that exists on the SD card is the HERMIMG.NBH (exactly that naming format).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Oz

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
ok, follow these instructions:

1) Use the "Explore" option on activesync
2) Erase all the files in storage card
3) Copy HERMIMG.nbh
4) Enter into bootloader

No need to remove the microSD card from your device at all... this is how it worked for me.

Attachments

• hermes_sd_flashing.jpg
    hermes_sd_flashing.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 247

omaqsood

Jul 18, 2006
No such luck for me I'm afraid. I still get the same error. I don't understand it, what is this Image file it's looking for? Is there anyway of determining it?

@pof - is your Hermes preproduction?

omaqsood

Jul 18, 2006
I've tried a smaller SD card of 128MB and renamed the file to HERMIMG.NBH but still no luck. I don't know if it's my phone or if preproduction phones except the filename to be different.
Is a .nbh file an image file?

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
mine is not preproduction, it's an HTC TyTN (HERM200). My microSD card is 1Gb.

I renamed the .nbh file extracted from the rom upgrade exe to "HERMIMG.nbh", I don't know if it's case sensitive or not. It worked for me this way...

And yes, nbh files are rom upgrade files which contain all the rom parts (splash image, radio, ipl, spl, etc...) and are signed by HTC.