[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Search This thread

masterkui

Apr 10, 2012
o2 feedback

hi there, i only got the one s today, after 5 minutes in my pocket it got a couple of scratches down the side. i called o2, and surprisingly they said they know about the issue and that it is a bad batch. my replacement come tomorrow i was told.

i hope this helps others

Kamyu

Sep 18, 2010
hi there, i only got the one s today, after 5 minutes in my pocket it got a couple of scratches down the side. i called o2, and surprisingly they said they know about the issue and that it is a bad batch. my replacement come tomorrow i was told.

i hope this helps others

Mhhm, I really hope it is just a bad batch. Could you possibly tell us your S/N first four characters?

Were the scratches the same kind of scratches as the one posted here?

Piter1225

Aug 21, 2009
Poznan

i hope this helps others

I hope they are right and this is just a case of one batch.

My retailer will start selling One S tomorrow, so I assume this will be other batch than devices, which are being sold currently. I think I'll ask them about batch number and see, if it's other than SH23 or HT23.

Still not quite sure if I should risk and buy the beautiful black One S, or just pick the gray one, which is not affected by this issue...

masterkui

Apr 10, 2012
Mhhm, I really hope it is just a bad batch. Could you possibly tell us your S/N first four characters?

Were the scratches the same kind of scratches as the one posted here?

my serial starts with HT23, the scratches are down the left side of the phone on the back, part of the unibody frame. there are 3 small scratches in total, honest to God to phone was in my pocket for 5 minutes and the only thing in my pocket was a golden virginia tobacco pouch.

one scratch is a zigzag, one scratch is a line the other is a dot, all close to each other. they are not big or that noticeable but not after 5 minutes in my pocket

jandari

May 3, 2011
I just plugged in the usb port and there is already alumminium visible at the edges of the port. I think mine is faulty too.

donverse

Sep 8, 2010
Google Pixel 4a
I got my HTC One S today at 9 clock am :D. I hope that my HTC does not have this issue my SN is HT23.
greets Deluxestar

Sorry to disappoint you :/
Got an HT23 and till now thought, that I must've dropped it somewhere even though I was pretty sure I didn't. This thread kind of calmed me down but on the other hand it is pretty messed up that almost everybody has these scratches.
My phone is in my pocket all the time, put there's nothing in there with it.

That sucks :/

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
I hope they are right and this is just a case of one batch.

My retailer will start selling One S tomorrow, so I assume this will be other batch than devices, which are being sold currently. I think I'll ask them about batch number and see, if it's other than SH23 or HT23.

Still not quite sure if I should risk and buy the beautiful black One S, or just pick the gray one, which is not affected by this issue...

Thats bad!! Not even on the top edge. At the end of the day this phone is BRAND NEW and it was sold on being tough. There shouldn't be problems like this from keeping the thing in your pocket. I've been extra cautious to make sure my pocket were always empty and it still happened. Wonder if its a design flaw or a bad batch!? I hope its the latter as loving the phone so far.

Sharks8

May 8, 2010
Budapest
That's why I always wait one or two monthes before buying a brand new phone.

There are often problems with the first batch but I'm sure HTC will solve this problem if everyone has it (they can't continue to sell a product with such a big manufacturing defect without losing money)

Last edited:

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
damn it! I had almost convinced myself that the One S was the one for me. Now I will be awaiting the issue to see what happens. Keep us posted everyone!

UPDATE: I have written a post about it here and will try to spread it to get it some much needed attention!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sneakyghost

keinengel

Dec 7, 2009
The gray ones are, at least in theory, not subjected to this issue. They undergo a process of oxidation called anodizing, which is different from the micro arc oxidation used on the black ones.

[offtopic]In other news, the bastards from T-Mobile Germany only carry the black ones. And, to top it off, the phones are branded.[/offtopic]

cookpass

Jan 12, 2009
Wrexham
Not sure if I'm adding anything constructive but I have the black version, had it since last Thursday, used it normally, no cases or protectors and looks as good as the day I had it.
Makes it sound like ages ago I know, but the point is it's fine.
Is this a dodgy batch in a certain region? I'm using tapatalk so can't tell who's from where at a glance. I'm in the UK btw.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Procake

Apr 10, 2012
Sites have started reporting on the issue. There's articles about this on CNET UK, gsmarena and phonearena.

Hopefully HTC will say something about this soon.

Stiflerlv

Apr 9, 2010
I got a reply from HTC about these "spots"
All they sayd was "We are not aware of any "spots" issues about the HTC One S and therefore cannot comment it."

vaaly

May 8, 2011
Milan
Not sure if I'm adding anything constructive but I have the black version, had it since last Thursday, used it normally, no cases or protectors and looks as good as the day I had it.
Makes it sound like ages ago I know, but the point is it's fine.
Is this a dodgy batch in a certain region? I'm using tapatalk so can't tell who's from where at a glance. I'm in the UK btw.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Can you tell us the first 4 letters of your S/N?
Because, maybe, this problem is related with a faulty batch

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
It seems like it affects several batches across several regions. Im surprised it hasnt affected every device but there might be several reasons for that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody has got the problem with the ceramic surface which is shown in the following pictures??

Looks like a major problem with the production technology :-(
    You have to be really dumb to release phones like this. This is not the first time HTC has done this. QA obviously sucks at HTC

As a potential HTC One S owner I'll just inject a few words into this thread.

Most of the people complaining and spouting their opinions on QA have no frigging clue about metallurgy or SCM.

I have consulted for companies that design & sell 100k-1M units. There are so many steps in the process until that phone gets to your hands (at a very low price, considering the complexity!), that the mind would boggle - and sometimes it's amazing that anything works at all, ever.

As for the coating process, I doubt that HTC mills the metal or has plasma baths in their offices. All this stuff is outsourced. And in China its hard to ensure that you get what you pay for (or specify) - Ive seen this happen with PCB laminates, components where the BOM says one thing, and a middleman will just ignore it and pocket the difference.

Maybe the base metal was a 3003 alloy instead of a 6100, maybe it was not degreased well enough, maybe some employees handled the edges, perhaps the plasma bath was too cold, or things not given enough time to warm up due to the units/hour presure from the line manager. Moreover, unless you destructively test the devices it's very hard to spot such failures unless you decided that's what you're going to look for.

Of course I would be disappointed when my One S has a chipping issue, but it seems like HTC is being responsible and has quickly acknowledged the issue, without telling the customers "you're holding it wrong"

FWIW I own a HTC Desire, a Nokia N79, SE K750 and lots of old Nokias.
    surface flaw, no scratch

Have been at a surveyor. He told me this are doubtless no scratches. And indeed I did not drop my phone. On the pictures they took you can clearly see that there are no scratches aroud the affected area, which should be there if I dropped the phone.. What I think is the my reseller will tell me I am stupid if I show those very little flaws to him :eek:
    Let's hope for HTC
    6tjn9j.jpg
    2bb891.jpg
    Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages. Some of the comments are not acceptable. Further trolling will result in a infraction/ban. Do not engage trolls, just report them and let the moderation team sort the problem. In short, dont feed the trolls!​
    ^^Good post psch0t1c^^

I'm not sure about sending it back to HTC in case they do try and say I have damaged it which I KNOW I haven't. I'm inclined to wait a few more days and see if the problem becomes more widespread and HTC become more aware of the problem.

I think we should ether do a new thread or add a poll to the OP so we can gauge how many people are affected thus far.