[APP][4.0.3+] Jelly Bean Keyboard port - Beta 1.2 (Update July 16)

Search This thread

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Update (Beta 1.2): added basic themes, added Dutch dictionary (dictionaries will be available for download soon)

I decided to pull it from the google play store soon and to make the download available here. Concerning the port I now have enough feedback sent to me through the developer console, so it won't be necessary anymore to make it available at this moment through the Play Store. I appreciate feedback in this thread.

----
Port of the AOSP Jelly Bean Keyboard (and its prediction engine) to ICS (Android 4.0.3 and higher).

scaled.php
scaled.php

Open issues
* User dictionary issue on some devices when adding words
* Language switch doesn't work as expected on ICS

Limitations
* Only English, German, French, Spanish, Portugese (Brazil) and Russian supported

Changelog
Beta 1.1.1: added auto correction/completion indicator on the spacebar (can be turned off)
Beta 1.1 fixed user dictionary issue, fixed issue with custom input style (still some issues here, will be addressed later)

Download:
Beta 1.2
Beta 1.2 (Mirror)

Old versions
Beta 1.1.1

Feedback appreciated. The plan is that the predictive features will also be added to Thumb Keyboard.

Last edited:

ekowanz

May 5, 2009
Great... Will wait until its appears in play

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
What are the new features? It looks the same tbh :p

The major improvement is the prediction engine. The Jellybean Keyboard will do full word prediction. See for example the picture: "cream" is suggested after typing "ice" . Also it will add spaces in case one forgetsoneortwo

BTW I've added a dropbox link to download the apk. The link will stay active until the google play store page is visible.

Last edited:
Reactions: tridith

rwelsh09

Aug 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Installed through Play Store.

My notes after a few minutes of use:
1. Prediction doesn't work when typing in the URL or on Google
2. Prediction works when composing with Gmail, Messaging etc.
3. Prediction and Auto-spacing work A LOT better when the setting is at Very Aggressive versus Moderate

Last edited:
Reactions: uToTMeH8

mangoberri

Mar 6, 2012
Downloaded on my Wildfire S running CM9, and I can't get it to work. I have it checked in settings, but when I go into SMS, and attempt to type with it after changing the input method, the keyboard does not pop up. Help?

ai6908

Nov 13, 2006
Land of Lincoln
User dict working for me as well, I was able to add a word. I am running ICS 4.0.4 Redemption version on my inspire...thanks for sharing this bro, its awesome!:D

Ramalama

Jun 9, 2009
Sry, little bit offtopic... i have buyed thumb keyboard, best keyboard ever...

But the ics theme for thumb keyboard, have at the buttom 10useless pixel... all other theme is perfect on the screed edge, but the ics theme isn't on the screen buttom edge, its higher and 10px free on buttom...

Thank you, sry and cheers:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

mmanjj

May 8, 2009
Tampa,FL
Awesome job so far. I freaking love this keyboard. Please keep updating. No problems so far. Love the progressive voice typing. No sending to a server bull crap.

kiosk77

Jul 25, 2009
Autocorrect works like magic on both ATT HOX & T-mobile sensation 4G. Was hoping for offline dictation, but it's still using servers :(

@mmanjj how do you get offline dictation to work? If i set my phone to airplane mode, it says it can't connect to servers.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update (Beta 1.2): added basic themes, added Dutch dictionary (dictionaries will be available for download soon)

I decided to pull it from the google play store soon and to make the download available here. Concerning the port I now have enough feedback sent to me through the developer console, so it won't be necessary anymore to make it available at this moment through the Play Store. I appreciate feedback in this thread.

----
    Port of the AOSP Jelly Bean Keyboard (and its prediction engine) to ICS (Android 4.0.3 and higher).

scaled.php
    scaled.php

Open issues
    * User dictionary issue on some devices when adding words
    * Language switch doesn't work as expected on ICS

Limitations
    * Only English, German, French, Spanish, Portugese (Brazil) and Russian supported

Changelog
    Beta 1.1.1: added auto correction/completion indicator on the spacebar (can be turned off)
    Beta 1.1 fixed user dictionary issue, fixed issue with custom input style (still some issues here, will be addressed later)

Download:
    Beta 1.2
    Beta 1.2 (Mirror)

Old versions
    Beta 1.1.1

Feedback appreciated. The plan is that the predictive features will also be added to Thumb Keyboard.
    Update: alpha -> beta

User Dictionary Issue fixed
    Works great but still not better than SwiftKey :p

Please stop this fanboy nonsense, this isn't Swiftkey.
    What are the new features? It looks the same tbh :p

The major improvement is the prediction engine. The Jellybean Keyboard will do full word prediction. See for example the picture: "cream" is suggested after typing "ice" . Also it will add spaces in case one forgetsoneortwo

BTW I've added a dropbox link to download the apk. The link will stay active until the google play store page is visible.
    Feedback appreciated.

Is there a possibility to provide you my self-made dictionary?
    Our Problem here in Switzerland: Official written language is german, but everybody in our country is writing their messages in a swiss dialect, which isn't standartized, and which is not available on any platform (iOS, Android, WinPhone7/8, ...)

Some time ago I read a how-to about compiling a .dict file for the ICS-Keyboard. I managed to make my own raw 20'000 words to build my own text-corpus, which is needed to build the XML with word-frequencies. From this xml I used the provided makedict.jar from google, to compile a binary swiss.dict file, which should then be easily added.
    But I don't know how to add it to the original (already compiled) LatinIME.apk or to the source (to build it later).

I hope we can get in touch with each other, so maybe you can provide an additional swiss-dictionary for your keyboard?
    The benefits for your app: There is NOT ANY SINGLE keyboard ON THE PLANET on ANY ROM or on ANY Smartphone OS which has a swiss dictionary for keyboards. Because of that it's still implossible for any Swiss citizen to use auto-correction/prediction on any smartphone yet.

So I guess that would be a nice feature for the 2'000'000 Smartphone users in Switzerland (40% Android).

I can provide you with my swiss text-corpus (Raw text file), with the already weighted XML or directly with the compiled swiss.dict file.

Would appreciate it very much :) I'm looking forward for a collaboration.

Best regards
    Jan

This is the swiss.xml
    which is needet to convert to -> main_de_ch.dict (ch is the abbrevation of switzerland)

Basically there should be a new entry for swiss-dictionary because swiss is a dialect of german -> German-German and German-Swiss, same as US-English and British-English.