[Q] CM 11 Mustaavalkosta nightly unofficial 01/08/14

Search This thread

davemusic12

Jan 27, 2014
London
Re: the OP about Battery drain

I too have been following CM11 nightlies since early January.
I am fortunate enough to have 3 DHD's to play with. (1 - mine and 2 "experimentals").

My experience with the battery drain issue is;
If I turn on Aeroplane mode and then turn WiFi back on - I have good battery life.
In other words - I turn the radio (for cell calls) off.
(I grant that this is not useful for receiving phone calls. However, this is experimentation).

I live in an area where I have very poor cell reception.
Initially I found that I had enormous battery drain with the radio on. I think this was because it was searching for a good cell signal all the time.
BUT........ no, that wasn't the only reason.
I placed one phone in a location where it had 3 or 4 bars and other "signal verification" apps said there were 4 towers in view.
I got a slightly reduced drain. But, still it was big. When I say big - I mean ..... "sitting in view of 4 towers and doing nothing.... battery drains wihin 7 hours".

Another phone has no sim installed. It still has battery drain if I don't turn on Aeroplane mode.

With my 3rd phone - I turned on Aeroplane and turned Wifi back on. Then I put that phone in my bag and forgot about it. 5 days later I noticed a small flashing light coming from my bag. Yep! - it was that phone. The battery was down to 1% but, it had been on for 5 days. Admittedly it had been doing nothing except waking to check mail and Viber.

I am also trying the "Nexus 5 Experience" (based on Mustaavalkosta's kernel/effort). So far (only 36 hours) it appears to display the same behaviour.

I appreciate that the radio "costs some battery". Most items that I've read IMPLY that the cell radio consumes the least out of Cell, Wifi, GPS.

(FYI - I have been using "Wakelock Detector" and "Battery Doctor" to detect anything untoward and/or kill it. The only "greedy apps/processes" that I see are "Google Search" and "Viber". But, their greed is insignificant compared to the radio)

Last year I had only 1 DHD. I had a sense ROM (Viper) and my memory tells me that I didn't have the same amount of drain. But, I could be wrong. I know I had an older radio. I updated the radio in October and found that I had better signal so I stayed with it.
I have attempted to revert to that radio with CM11 but, it couldn't find any signal.

My question (for anyone who may have some thoughts) is;
Could there be some sort of radio incompatability going on?

I recall that one needed to have the correct "RIL" with sense roms. The "RIL" was a 'compatibility library' (or something) that "connected" the ROM with the radio. (or something like that). However, that's not the case with "Non Sense Roms". OK. I accept that the interface between the main OS and the radio is different. But, the radio's are a chunk of code that are "interfaced to". I don't think there's any sounce. So, the CM team (and other teams) must have done some reverse engineering OR found some document that specified an API so they could interface with the radio.
I would be facinated to know if there were similar problems with other breeds of phone/radio. I guess that most phone designs are similar inasmuch that they seperate the "radio cpu/chip" from the "main phone cpu(s)/chip(s)".
But, I am not a "phone coder" and it's all just supposition.

I will "revert" one of my phones back to a "sense" version and see if there's similar behaviour.

David

Radio: 12.69a.60.29U_26.17.14.11_M
Kernel: 3.0.101-3.3+hybrid-g2ee05c4
3 X DHD all with new 1500mAh batteries.

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Good to know!

I too have been following CM11 nightlies since early January.
I am fortunate enough to have 3 DHD's to play with. (1 - mine and 2 "experimentals").

My experience with the battery drain issue is;
If I turn on Aeroplane mode and then turn WiFi back on - I have good battery life.
In other words - I turn the radio (for cell calls) off.
(I grant that this is not useful for receiving phone calls. However, this is experimentation).

I live in an area where I have very poor cell reception.
Initially I found that I had enormous battery drain with the radio on. I think this was because it was searching for a good cell signal all the time.
BUT........ no, that wasn't the only reason.
I placed one phone in a location where it had 3 or 4 bars and other "signal verification" apps said there were 4 towers in view.
I got a slightly reduced drain. But, still it was big. When I say big - I mean ..... "sitting in view of 4 towers and doing nothing.... battery drains wihin 7 hours".

Another phone has no sim installed. It still has battery drain if I don't turn on Aeroplane mode.

With my 3rd phone - I turned on Aeroplane and turned Wifi back on. Then I put that phone in my bag and forgot about it. 5 days later I noticed a small flashing light coming from my bag. Yep! - it was that phone. The battery was down to 1% but, it had been on for 5 days. Admittedly it had been doing nothing except waking to check mail and Viber.

I am also trying the "Nexus 5 Experience" (based on Mustaavalkosta's kernel/effort). So far (only 36 hours) it appears to display the same behaviour.

I appreciate that the radio "costs some battery". Most items that I've read IMPLY that the cell radio consumes the least out of Cell, Wifi, GPS.

(FYI - I have been using "Wakelock Detector" and "Battery Doctor" to detect anything untoward and/or kill it. The only "greedy apps/processes" that I see are "Google Search" and "Viber". But, their greed is insignificant compared to the radio)

Last year I had only 1 DHD. I had a sense ROM (Viper) and my memory tells me that I didn't have the same amount of drain. But, I could be wrong. I know I had an older radio. I updated the radio in October and found that I had better signal so I stayed with it.
I have attempted to revert to that radio with CM11 but, it couldn't find any signal.

My question (for anyone who may have some thoughts) is;
Could there be some sort of radio incompatability going on?

I recall that one needed to have the correct "RIL" with sense roms. The "RIL" was a 'compatibility library' (or something) that "connected" the ROM with the radio. (or something like that). However, that's not the case with "Non Sense Roms". OK. I accept that the interface between the main OS and the radio is different. But, the radio's are a chunk of code that are "interfaced to". I don't think there's any sounce. So, the CM team (and other teams) must have done some reverse engineering OR found some document that specified an API so they could interface with the radio.
I would be facinated to know if there were similar problems with other breeds of phone/radio. I guess that most phone designs are similar inasmuch that they seperate the "radio cpu/chip" from the "main phone cpu(s)/chip(s)".
But, I am not a "phone coder" and it's all just supposition.

I will "revert" one of my phones back to a "sense" version and see if there's similar behaviour.

David

Radio: 12.69a.60.29U_26.17.14.11_M
Kernel: 3.0.101-3.3+hybrid-g2ee05c4
Well,i'm impressed by kind of knowledge that you have but small thing i would love to tell you here is;

I have the same radio and kernel,the only thing differs is battery,i'm using Inspire 4g with original battery and there's nothing like battery drain if i'm not using it even a whole day not a single percent drains!
Yes i'm also on nexus 5 experience R3.1 which acutally has more like stock rom feeling.

For now try using 1)Battery calibration, 2)Greenify, 3)SD Maid PRO

Moreover don't forget to wipe battery stat just before flashing new rom.

Even if you face problems after this,than try using original battery or sense rom like last stock was 2.3.5

let us know what's your status.

Thanks.

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Well

Greetings,

I have downloaded an [UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies, the ROM is slow, I have problem with wireless page which I can't open, and I cant seem to find Performance menu or option in it, plus I cant find print screen option or internet-pass through option.

been reading some posts but can't seem to find suitable answers.

thank you.
Well sir,try using different CM11 nightly i'm sure it's easy sort out method or change rom(Advice:Nexus 5 Experience R 3.1)

Thanks.

Reactions: silentvoice84

silentvoice84

Nov 3, 2012
Damascus
Well sir,try using different CM11 nightly i'm sure it's easy sort out method or change rom(Advice:Nexus 5 Experience R 3.1)

Thanks.

Greetings,

Well its going fine alright now after a restart but the only part I have problem with is the wireless It keeps searching and It wont see any wireless network, also I still can't find the options for performance and internet-pass through.

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Hmm....

Greetings,

Well its going fine alright now after a restart but the only part I have problem with is the wireless It keeps searching and It wont see any wireless network, also I still can't find the options for performance and internet-pass through.
Hmm....seems like your device is S-ON? if yes than try flashing boot.img via fastboot using "fastboot flash boot boot.img"after successful installing rom.
That wireless issue will be solve forever after that.
And If you can't find option for performance,than use SetCPU it will offer more better option.

Thanks.

davemusic12

Jan 27, 2014
London
Well,i'm impressed by kind of knowledge that you have but small thing i would love to tell you here is;

I have the same radio and kernel,the only thing differs is battery,i'm using Inspire 4g with original battery and there's nothing like battery drain if i'm not using it even a whole day not a single percent drains!
Yes i'm also on nexus 5 experience R3.1 which acutally has more like stock rom feeling.

For now try using 1)Battery calibration, 2)Greenify, 3)SD Maid PRO

Moreover don't forget to wipe battery stat just before flashing new rom.

Even if you face problems after this,than try using original battery or sense rom like last stock was 2.3.5

let us know what's your status.

Thanks.

I am a little confused – in your original post you said
I'm a huge fan of Mustaavalcosta. because the way he made ace rom are more like stable and smooth as butter,today i installed his cm11 for the 4th time.

Pros: No Lag at all,Very Smooth,Very much stable and many more.

Cons:Battery drains way to fast, Battery section: Screen 78+% usage., Poor wifi connectivity.,Browser issue.

Yet now you say
“there's nothing like battery drain if i'm not using it even a whole day not a single percent drains!”
So, are you saying that you only see the drain with heavy screen usage?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I do full wipes (including battery stats) every time. Being a little paranoid :eek: I even do "format" of system, data, cache in addition.
Yes, I always try battery calibration too. I did try Greenify but, didn't think it's ability was any better than one or 2 other apps. I am not seeing any wakelock related issues (which is what I believe Greenify is mainly designed to cure).
I am unsure why you think your third suggestion of "SD Maid PRO" would help. But, maybe that would be an "off topic" question. I have read the review and it appears to be most apt for 'untidy' phones. Or phones that have been in use for some time.
I do "clean" "restores" of all the apps and I use an identical set of apps. (Identical in version numbers too - I don't update one phone unless I update all three).

I am using CM11 Jan 29 2014 as my "daily" because subsequent versions (that I trial on one of my 'spare phones') seem to have "unresolved issues" relating to the apps that I use. I read the CyanogenMod Changelogs too - so that I can see whether something may/may not have been included in Mustaavalkosta's nightly builds.

Last - your suggestion about battery is a great idea. Thank you.
I have only 2 HTC original batteries. So, I will only be able to test on 2 phones.
I think what I will try is 2 phones with identical rom and apps - but, different batteries - one HTC original and one 1500mHa.
I will see what BetterBatteryStats says.

But, you said you are using Inspire 4G. Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't that have a different mainboard? If so - then it is a (perhaps tiny) difference don't you think?

Regards
David

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Inspire

I am a little confused – in your original post you said

Yet now you say .
So, are you saying that you only see the drain with heavy screen usage?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I do full wipes (including battery stats) every time. Being a little paranoid :eek: I even do "format" of system, data, cache in addition.
Yes, I always try battery calibration too. I did try Greenify but, didn't think it's ability was any better than one or 2 other apps. I am not seeing any wakelock related issues (which is what I believe Greenify is mainly designed to cure).
I am unsure why you think your third suggestion of "SD Maid PRO" would help. But, maybe that would be an "off topic" question. I have read the review and it appears to be most apt for 'untidy' phones. Or phones that have been in use for some time.
I do "clean" "restores" of all the apps and I use an identical set of apps. (Identical in version numbers too - I don't update one phone unless I update all three).

I am using CM11 Jan 29 2014 as my "daily" because subsequent versions (that I trial on one of my 'spare phones') seem to have "unresolved issues" relating to the apps that I use. I read the CyanogenMod Changelogs too - so that I can see whether something may/may not have been included in Mustaavalkosta's nightly builds.

Last - your suggestion about battery is a great idea. Thank you.
I have only 2 HTC original batteries. So, I will only be able to test on 2 phones.
I think what I will try is 2 phones with identical rom and apps - but, different batteries - one HTC original and one 1500mHa.
I will see what BetterBatteryStats says.

But, you said you are using Inspire 4G. Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't that have a different mainboard? If so - then it is a (perhaps tiny) difference don't you think?

Regards
David
Well I like it by comparing what I said earlier and what telling you now. But the fact I wrote battery is not draining is because you wrote
"I am also trying the "Nexus 5 Experience" (based on Mustaavalkosta's kernel/effort). So far (only 36 hours) it appears to display the same behaviour"

Secondly about Wipes of cache+data+dalvic is necessary in order to avoid after complucations.

Well Desire HD(a9191) or Inspire 4g(a9192) in terms of specs they both are same. DHD launches outside USA where as I4G only made for USA. And for your kind of information I've not flashed inspiremod! Rom still says Desire HD,but my phone is I4G.

Thanks.

silentvoice84

Nov 3, 2012
Damascus
Hmm....seems like your device is S-ON? if yes than try flashing boot.img via fastboot using "fastboot flash boot boot.img"after successful installing rom.
And If you can't find option for performance,than use SetCPU it will offer more better option.

Thanks.

Ok here is the issue in details, I turn on wireless then i jump to the wireless screen where to choose wireless network, sometimes it turns black and the settings panel stops then the whole device gets slow until i turn wireless off which i try to do it many times and it turns on by itself, the other situation that it turns on and start searching for wireless networks but doesn't show any of them.

The device is S-OFF.

another question, how can i do an update from my version to another one? do i follow the same steps I did for installing the new ROM and which link I have to use?

thanks

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Ok

Ok here is the issue in details, I turn on wireless then i jump to the wireless screen where to choose wireless network, sometimes it turns black and the settings panel stops then the whole device gets slow until i turn wireless off which i try to do it many times and it turns on by itself, the other situation that it turns on and start searching for wireless networks but doesn't show any of them.

The device is S-OFF.

another question, how can i do an update from my version to another one? do i follow the same steps I did for installing the new ROM and which link I have to use?

thanks
Sir,I'm sure that by flashing different nightly could probably solve your matter,may be the one you're using has some issue with wifi connectivity!

-Yes,have to follow same steps in order to install Any NEW ROM But if you're upgrading your device from one nightly to subsequent nightly then just flash it,no need to wipe dalvic cache or data!

Thanks.

silentvoice84

Nov 3, 2012
Damascus
Sir,I'm sure that by flashing different nightly could probably solve your matter,may be the one you're using has some issue with wifi connectivity!

-Yes,have to follow same steps in order to install Any NEW ROM But if you're upgrading your device from one nightly to subsequent nightly then just flash it,no need to wipe dalvic cache or data!

Thanks.

I'm sorry but I still can't find any wireless networks and I still have the same problem with slowness after upgrading to the last version 20140211

do you recommend any other ROM?

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Wait!!!

Yes I have already start downloading it, just to make sure I dont have to wipe my data only fash it like updating ?
This isn't nightly!
You're not on Nexus 5 experience ROM so you have to wipe data+cache+dalvic cache+ battery stat!

I said to flash only then when you're using one ROM and its nighty! Not with different ROM!
Dude don't make any such mistakes! You're potentially risking your device.

Here's in easy word: for example you're using ROM created by mustaavalcosta then flash nightly whatever he made it will improve performance or made some changes over current ROM....that's what nightly is all about.
But if you're using ROM created by some person then Always do clean install which means wipe above mention things or else after or during flashing may cause some problem.

Never Ever do that.

silentvoice84

Nov 3, 2012
Damascus
This isn't nightly!
You're not on Nexus 5 experience ROM so you have to wipe data+cache+dalvic cache+ battery stat!

I said to flash only then when you're using one ROM and its nighty! Not with different ROM!
Dude don't make any such mistakes! You're potentially risking your device.

Here's in easy word: for example you're using ROM created by mustaavalcosta then flash nightly whatever he made it will improve performance or made some changes over current ROM....that's what nightly is all about.
But if you're using ROM created by some person then Always do clean install which means wipe above mention things or else after or during flashing may cause some problem.

Never Ever do that.

Yes I understand that I miss understand the developer when he said

Aiko0923 said:
If you are coming from CM 11 Release 1.x, just Flash this! Don't wipe ANYTHING!

last question -sorry for asking too much- I couldn't find and option for "internet-pass through- which allows me to get internet from pc via usb, is it included in the new versions I have heard that its banned from new one since its illegal or something.

thanks

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Yes I understand that I miss understand the developer when he said

last question -sorry for asking too much- I couldn't find and option for "internet-pass through- which allows me to get internet from pc via usb, is it included in the new versions I have heard that its banned from new one since its illegal or something.

thanks
Oh common,Sharing knowledge is the best way to learn something new!
I really don't mind answering you....please don't hassitate either.
As far as I know in R 3.1 when you connect your DHD to PC via data cable slide notification bar down you'll notice usb-tethering option.
Since I've WiFi available so I'm not using it that way but I noticed it about 2 days ago.It was there and expect it should work as well as ROM does.

silentvoice84

Nov 3, 2012
Damascus
Oh common,Sharing knowledge is the best way to learn something new!
I really don't mind answering you....please don't hassitate either.
As far as I know in R 3.1 when you connect your DHD to PC via data cable slide notification bar down you'll notice usb-tethering option.
Since I've WiFi available so I'm not using it that way but I noticed it about 2 days ago.It was there and expect it should work as well as ROM does.

thanks for that,

about the connecting, usb-tethering could means giving mobile's connection t the pc

Chalat67

Jan 25, 2014
Very slow internet speed

Hi
I got very low internet speed on this ROM. I have installed latest nightly and tested with the Speedtest app and I only get 5Mbit down and 0.6Mbit up. In my house I have an internet connection of 25 Mbit down and 5Mbit up.

I have installed other ROMs like Ramdomrom, ViberDHD and they give me the full speed available.

Does anyone else have this issue. I like this ROM so much but because of the lack of speed I can't use it.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Rom is running good on 3-28 update. No reboots. Idk about calling and texting as this device has no sim. Using this inspire as a development tool. Good job musta and team!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 AM ----------

Hi
I got very low internet speed on this ROM. I have installed latest nightly and tested with the Speedtest app and I only get 5Mbit down and 0.6Mbit up. In my house I have an internet connection of 25 Mbit down and 5Mbit up.

I have installed other ROMs like Ramdomrom, ViberDHD and they give me the full speed available.

Does anyone else have this issue. I like this ROM so much but because of the lack of speed I can't use it.

I think cuz our devices have such low memory space, our devices are struggling to use kk ROMs. Give it some time. In the meantime,keep flashing the updates. Afterall, that's why they call it nightlies. Lol

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 AM ----------

a bigger issue for me is the no Service signal
i ve installed the latest cm11 1/25/14 over an old cm 7 that had crashed from one minute of torch and stopped booting up
i really don t know anything about it
any best roms out there?

l.e. can i go back to the official cm7.2.0 ?
should i go back that far?
after an hour or so the screen stopped responding.but the power button showed some signs of life. so i got that going for me

I would suggest u use the default kernel on this ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello to all developers and Specially to Musta.

I'm a huge fan of Mustaavalcosta. because the way he made ace rom are more like stable and smooth as butter,today i installed his cm11 for the 4th time.

Pros: No Lag at all,Very Smooth,Very much stable and many more.

Cons:Battery drains way to fast, Battery section: Screen 78+% usage., Poor wifi connectivity.,Browser issue.

I did try pimp my rom for little over customization in order to get more battery,On an average my desire hd battery last 3 to 3.5 hours straight on wifi watching videos online.But since Musta's first cm11 nightly to subsequent in every rom he made there is always battery draining issue.
    So wanted to know is it related to kernel of rom? or anything else? IS anybody facing same kind of a problem?

My Device is Factory S-ON,ROOTED

Help me out,Because i tried plenty of 4.2.2 roms and 4.1 JB roms and only 2 out of all gave me more batteryusage in order to use like 3 or more hours to watch videos online.

Thanks.
    CM 11 Mustaavalkosta nightly unofficial video

Hi there,

I'm new really would like to help out in the dev forum but i think i need 10 helpful post so here is one, which might be useful for you, ive already sent a couple of PM's to peeps that have mentioned this, anyway,

copied and paste to here...

you mentioned about the video on this rom , i too had problems but i managed to get it too work by adjusting the settings, please try this...

Im using build 2014-01-18 nightly cm11 - ace

under video settings - video qaulity: HD 720p

more options - video encoder: H264 , audio encoder: AAC

back out of camera app and then restart , i get clear videos now no choppy lines etc.

also if you swipe to the right to bring up the vid or photo after using the camera/video app, and then go back and the controls are missing, just swype back to gallery and back to camera/video app once more and they appear again.

ok hope this helps tried to make it clear as possible

kind regards,

WS.
    Should we do a wipe when installing updates? I been dirty flashing. Or is that what we are supposed to do?

chris

Wipe cache and Dalvik and flash the update.
    Well

Greetings,

I have downloaded an [UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies, the ROM is slow, I have problem with wireless page which I can't open, and I cant seem to find Performance menu or option in it, plus I cant find print screen option or internet-pass through option.

been reading some posts but can't seem to find suitable answers.

thank you.

Thanks.
    Hmm....

Greetings,

Thanks.